• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superinjunctions

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
he does'nt have a superinjunction, so no..the bogeyman wont come get you

but if you post names of those who have a superinjunction, yes - something very bad will happen to you...
i just dont know what that will be

PM me with the names and I will post them.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For goodness sake, pretty much everyone in the UK knows who the footballer is. It's not news, it's not interesting. It's just gossip. There is no public interest issue here except simple salacious tabloid gossip. Naming him here doesn't affirm your right of freedom of expression/ information.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
For goodness sake, pretty much everyone in the UK knows who the footballer is. It's not news, it's not interesting. It's just gossip. There is no public interest issue here except simple salacious tabloid gossip. Naming him here doesn't affirm your right of freedom of expression/ information.

I demand my freedumbs.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
you are wrong. how do you answer that in the UK we cannot call _____________ a Banker.. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...nction-banking read the story above, and please let me know how that is possible! if DSK situation happened in the UK, we may never have heard about it with these rules, ditto for Arnold, OJ, etc!.. these superinjunctions are significant

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sir Fred Goodwin is a banker.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LOL. No, the OP wanted his freedom to name him himself. Bloody Guardian readers.

lovelux2010

Reaction score

also, by your statement the media should not be able to cover DSK at all.
nothing has been proven, so far there are just allegations - so is this how you think the media should function???

lovelux2010

Reaction score
LOL. No, the OP wanted his freedom to name him himself. Bloody Guardian readers.

i dont find this a laughing matter..
in the UK i do not have the right to name that "banker", and i find this very, very sad

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
i dont find this a laughing matter..
in the UK i do not have the right to name that "banker", and i find this very, very sad

Don't worry, if you just quote my post you can say it all you want without "saying" it.
teacha.gif

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
I find it disguising that the courts of the UK allow bankers/footballers to freely cheat on their wives and ensure everybody remains silent about it. The law on super injunctions needs to be amended otherwise this is going to turn into a masquerade!

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Let me clarify something. There are no rights on Styleforum. J and I decide if something is allowed here, or not. Also, it's a US based site, and we are not bound by UK law.

hey..
i figured that styleforum would not be bound by UK law, just as the Sunday Herald in Scotland is not bound by UK law..

but i was surprised to see that the lawyers are going after twitter (also US based) and the courts have asked for the IP addresses of the Twitter posters..
interesting times anyway

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please. The issue here is not really freedom of the press in the UK. Injunctions have existed for a long time, the twist with these 'super' injunctions is that you weren't allowed to disclose that so-and-so had applied/obtained one. There are far greater threats to your 'human rights' than these super-injunctions, which in case you forget, do have to be brought up before a judge etc. Tabloids like the News of the World hacking the phones of 'celebrities', what do you feel about that as a threat to your human rights?

As for not involving SF, the site is unlikely to get sued but lawyers may send a letter or two asking for IP addresses. Is it going to be a big problem? Probably not. Is it worth the hassle over some stupid gossip story? No, not in my opinion. Is it worth bringing to a clothing discussion forum? Definitely not.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Please. The issue here is not really freedom of the press in the UK. Injunctions have existed for a long time, the twist with these 'super' injunctions is that you weren't allowed to disclose that so-and-so had applied/obtained one. There are far greater threats to your 'human rights' than these super-injunctions, which in case you forget, do have to be brought up before a judge etc. Tabloids like the News of the World hacking the phones of 'celebrities', what do you feel about that as a threat to your human rights?

As for not involving SF, the site is unlikely to get sued but lawyers may send a letter or two asking for IP addresses. Is it going to be a big problem? Probably not. Is it worth the hassle over some stupid gossip story? No, not in my opinion. Is it worth bringing to a clothing discussion forum? Definitely not.

i could not disagree with you more on almost all points.
as stated many times - i do not care about celebrity gossiop. frankly, i do not think people should be allowed to take pictures of celebrities, or gossip about celebrities - so i have no problem wtih those superinjunctions.

i DO have a problem with superinjunctions that politicians take out to control their image.

i brought the issue up in the right place within the forum, under ""general discussion". there are lots of posts within the "general discussion" that do not pertain to clothing..

as far as lawyers asking for IP addresses, this is possible, in theory. personally, i think we should be able to write what we choose within the forum rules, and this forum as no rules against discussing superinjunctions.

anyways, i'm done on this - i'm sorry chobochobo that you do not reailze the wider implications of these injunctions and only focus on the celebrity portion. one last example - an OJ superinjunction.

how would you feel about that? i coudl understand if the case could not be discussed until jurors had made their decisino, but how about if the case couldu never be discussed even after the not guilty verdict?

how do you feel about that?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know more about the UK than you think.

Your OP talked about superinjunctions and celebrities, and to be honest, news about celebrities = gossip. Stuff about politicians and major establishment figures such as the RBS boss, I can understand the implications of laws and processes that allow them to maintain a whiter-than-white image, and to hide wrong-doings that affect their job.

The media is hypocritical. Look at Andrew Marr and his own superinjunction. All this about press freedoms etc, and the biggest story/ greatest attention is focused on the footballer who had an affair. You mention a possible OJ injunction, would it be so bad to allow an investigation and trial to run its course without media meddling? Perhaps OJ would have been found guilty the first time round without all the media focus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads