1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Summer Hats

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by PHV, May 3, 2005.

1. Zeev Wolf

Zeev Wolf Member

Well they're not $1400... more like $200-$800 with the straws generally being on the lower end

Dear Kit Akira,
    I don´t know where you were looking or what kind of straw hats you mean.
    The "real thing" costs much more than $1400. Good Panama hats from Ecuador, made of the Carludovica Palmata plant would perhaps start at this price, the better ones with a very thin weave (that take months to weave) can be a few thousand, the very best up to $20.000!!!

I know this from my hatmaker Szaszi in Vienna, Austria, who makes the best ones I have ever seen anywhere, or you can look it up on the (very interesting!) website of Brent Black, USA.

All the best,

Zeev Wolf

2. Zeev Wolf

Zeev Wolf Member

What exactly is a boater? Got a pic or link? Much appreciated...

Hi, Smoke Stack
    A boater is a perfectly round hat, both in crown (with a flat top) and brim, normally made out of straw in a light beige or white color with a navy blue band. At the turn of the century it used to be a sailor´s hat, probably that´s why it´s called a boater.
    (canotier in French) Then it became very fashionable and every young man in Europe had to wear one to a date, dance, ball etc.
    At the moment it is having a big-time revival. It does look dashing, but easy-going, so it´s a good choice for a pleasing, light and airy summer-hat. I love the look, but for older men like myself, it might look a bit too "Maurice Chevalier" that´s to say, ridiculous.

All the best,

Zeev Wolf

3. Zeev Wolf

Zeev Wolf Member

I was thinking about getting this fedora...

[​IMG]

what do you guys think?

"OUUUUUCH"

4. Zeev Wolf

Zeev Wolf Member

+1 on the Gucci Monogram...

[​IMG]

I am pretty sure the one in the picture is authentic so it must be timeless. But I everything is fake so it might not be.

The tags inside are not so easy to fake - so it looks quite the real thing - nice!

5. Goblin

Goblin Well-Known Member

So how do you know what kind of hat favors your face and overall look? There are three of the "stingy brim" Jaxon hats at villagehatshop.com that I like the look of, but without being able to try them on, I have no idea how they'd look on me, what kind of outfits to wear with them, etc. Is there some reliable one-stop guide to hat-wearing? I'd like to try one out, but I don't want to end up taking advice from the hat equivalent of GQ or Men's Wearhouse, or look like one of the people from Fedora Lounge. [​IMG]

(No offense to people from Fedora Lounge, just really, really not my style.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my baseline outfit:
    [​IMG]

I'm gradually moving towards nice button-downs, flat front chinos, and odd trousers as I get more comfortable with them but right now, I'm in jeans 75% of the time.

Advice from Streetwear hat people?

6. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

^^I think some sort of cotton stingy would be great with that. Bill on sufu used to wear stingys with casual/workwear that looked really good. http://www.newyorkhatco.com/category.php?CATID=2&lim=24 Personally I like slouchy bucket type hats...Not the sexiest style, but nice and casual.

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

This spring/summer Im sportin a short brimmed straw fedora, black band. Simple but looks good.

8. seamless74

seamless74 Well-Known Member

goblin i think any of those would work for you personally... might wanna check out the WAYWT or pm black cherry... he bought one of the tan and the black fedoras from jaxon same ones your talkin bout and has posted pics of himself... i think those hats would be pretty hard to fuck up..

9. DBAY

DBAY Member

Reviving this old thread because it's about that time of year again. I've been growing my hair out for like 9 months now and it's 9" long on the top, 7" long on the sides...pretty much requires an hour to style and I don't have time for that every day. I've been wearing beanies and ball ball caps all winter, now it's getting warm and I'm sick of wearing baseball hats.

What are some fresh alternatives out there for summer?