• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Our competent tailors here charge us like crazy.  Like $300+ to adjust from shoulder.

i found that out the hard way a few months ago...suggested it say it would be slightly more...was like sure why not. Came to pick it up and was surprised I could have basically bought a new suit for how much it cost. Oh well, fits perfect now.

nttdocomo

Reaction score
Our competent tailors here charge us like crazy. Like $300+ to adjust from shoulder.

日本で?

--

I went for the 42R hudson that @fieldofdreams suggested, and though I think the shoulder fit is basically perfect, I am concerned there's too much room in the chest.

I would have this taken in anyway, but would part of taking the suit in also take in the chest at all? Just under the arms, at the front, and rear, I notice more fabric than my 40R Napoli.

My other option is to try 40R, or simply give up on this fit and focus on others. Fabric is lovely.

Last edited:

Suntory

Reaction score
日本で?

--

I went for the 42R hudson that @fieldofdreams suggested, and though I think the shoulder fit is basically perfect, I am concerned there's too much room in the chest.

I would have this taken in anyway, but would part of taking the suit in also take in the chest at all? Just under the arms, at the front, and rear, I notice more fabric than my 40R Napoli.

My other option is to try 40R, or simply give up on this fit and focus on others. Fabric is lovely.
Wouldn't a waist suppression do the trick?

nttdocomo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Trousers need to come in a few inches at the waist, but that's almost always the case needing to accommodate my large posterior.

I'll take it in to suitsupply and see what they can do. My Napoli 40R fits me maybe not quite as perfect as this in the shoulders, but I recall trying a hudson 40R on in store and the shoulders were rather bad actually.

Oh, and my house is pretty old and we've yet to sort out a new bathroom. Sorry about the terrible photo! :)

EDIT: here's a couple more photos, compared to my 40R Napoli. Can you see under the arm at the chest - there is excess fabric that I'm not sure would be removed with a waist suppression...?

Hudson left, 42R; Napoli right 40R.

I suppose I should try on a Hudson in 40R in-store to compare. I should have ordered two sizes!

Last edited:

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Guys, I talked about the Washington fit a few pages back. I ordered a suit and received it a week ago, although I lacked time earlier, so I tried it on recently. The jacket seems to fit well, but it's a little too long; Havana in size EU 44 fits me perfecly length wise (73 cm), this jacket's 75 cm. Would it be possible to shorten it 1.5-2 cm? The jacket does have pick stitching at the bottom, but I guess that's something a tailor can fix while shortening it? Also, does the shoulders fit well?

I do have other pictures, but this one was the best considering the lightning. The lack of natural lightning here in Sweden during winter makes it hard to take any good photos. Fortunately, the bathroom is well-lit...

Last edited:

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
BakedPotato, I've found the Washington to have that long look as well. It is designed to "elongate the physique" purposely. My first suit was a Washington but I found that I also prefer the Havana and Hudson.

I think the Washington half is cut shorter. I'd have to double check to be certain.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Trousers need to come in a few inches at the waist, but that's almost always the case needing to accommodate my large posterior.

I'll take it in to suitsupply and see what they can do. My Napoli 40R fits me maybe not quite as perfect as this in the shoulders, but I recall trying a hudson 40R on in store and the shoulders were rather bad actually.

Oh, and my house is pretty old and we've yet to sort out a new bathroom. Sorry about the terrible photo! :)

EDIT: here's a couple more photos, compared to my 40R Napoli. Can you see under the arm at the chest - there is excess fabric that I'm not sure would be removed with a waist suppression...?

I suppose I should try on a Hudson in 40R in-store to compare. I should have ordered two sizes!

The chest and shoulders of a suit should be the two things you look at first. If either of them doesn't fit optimally you should return the suit as it is very difficult/expensive to alter those.

Waist suppression won't fix this issue entirely, it will probably actually make the issue more noticeable as your waist will be slimmer but the chest will still be too large. Also in the pictures you are wearing an odd waistcoat, so consider how large the chest will be if you decide not to wear it.

My advice is to return this one and try a 40R, if that is too narrow in this shoulders this cut is not optimal for your body proportions.

Guys, I talked about the Washington fit a few pages back. I ordered a suit and received it a week ago, although I lacked time earlier, so I tried it on recently. The jacket seems to fit well, but it's a little too long; Havana in size EU 44 fits me perfecly length wise (73 cm), this jacket's 75 cm. Would it be possible to shorten it 1.5-2 cm? The jacket does have pick stitching at the bottom, but I guess that's something a tailor can fix while shortening it? Also, does the shoulders fit well?

I do have other pictures, but this one was the best considering the lightning. The lack of natural lightning here in Sweden during winter makes it hard to take any good photos. Fortunately, the bathroom is well-lit...

I've had a Washington suit jacket shortened by 3cm before, and when I first received it, the alteration was quite noticeable to me as the pockets were pretty close to the jacket hem, but nobody else really noticed. Though it wasn't a deal-breaker for me, I still wore that suit more than any of my others.

2cm won't be noticeable IMO, my Washington didn't have pick stitching at the bottom and after alterations it still doesn't, so this is something you should ask the tailor who is alterating the suit jacket.

The shoulders seem to fit well, though it's hard to tell from this picture because of the shoulder padding. Check where your shoulders end in relation to the suit jacket, a little extra room is fine due to the shoulder padding.

I think the Washington half is cut shorter. I'd have to double check to be certain.

It's usually on-par with the length of the Havana/Hudson, which is considerably shorter, but like with any Suitsupply item, measurements can vary from item-to-item.

I bought two Havanas which are the same size but one had a length of 28" whilst the other was 27.5", both are supposed to be 28.3".

Last edited:

Suntory

Reaction score

What's with the Hudson's chest pocket? Both fit you well btw, and of course the shoulder look snarrow when you're holding a phone to take photos.

Last edited:

nttdocomo

Reaction score
The chest and shoulders of a suit should be the two things you look at first. If either of them doesn't fit optimally you should return the suit as it is very difficult/expensive to alter those.

Waist suppression won't fix this issue entirely, it will probably actually make the issue more noticeable as your waist will be slimmer but the chest will still be too large. Also in the pictures you are wearing an odd waistcoat, so consider how large the chest will be if you decide not to wear it.

My advice is to return this one and try a 40R, if that is too narrow in this shoulders this cut is not optimal for your body proportions.

Thanks @MrTopCat . I think perhaps that this particular jacket doesn't fit me optimally in the chest. It strikes me a little odd as I can't really imagine the chest required to fill this jacket properly, without bursting the shoulders! I think I will return this and try a 40R, but alas, not in this particular suit as 40R is now sold out. Next time I will order two sizes in any suit.

I only want to buy suits and jackets that fit me really well and not "make do".

I put the odd waistcoat on to compare how the two (40R/42R) cuts look even with the extra padding underneath. I think the 42R Hudson is too large in the chest whilst probably being perfect in the shoulders.

What's with the Hudson's chest pocket? Both fit you well btw, and of course the shoulder look snarrow when you're holding a phone to take photos.
In what sense? It's a patch pocket, or do you mean what's with the excess fabric? The chest appears too large. Otherwise, I think the fit is OK (and thank you), and yes when taking a photo with a phone one cannot be too critical of jacket shoulders—here I am worried more about the excess chest fabric.

Suntory

Reaction score
Thanks @MrTopCat . I think perhaps that this particular jacket doesn't fit me optimally in the chest. It strikes me a little odd as I can't really imagine the chest required to fill this jacket properly, without bursting the shoulders! I think I will return this and try a 40R, but alas, not in this particular suit as 40R is now sold out. Next time I will order two sizes in any suit.

I only want to buy suits and jackets that fit me really well and not "make do".

I put the odd waistcoat on to compare how the two (40R/42R) cuts look even with the extra padding underneath. I think the 42R Hudson is too large in the chest whilst probably being perfect in the shoulders.

In what sense? It's a patch pocket, or do you mean what's with the excess fabric? The chest appears too large. Otherwise, I think the fit is OK (and thank you), and yes when taking a photo with a phone one cannot be too critical of jacket shoulders—here I am worried more about the excess chest fabric.

I personally am with odds with the patch pocket so pay no attention to my critique on that. On the fitting, the left one is a bit snug but you're in a unique position where you fit both sizes very well in the realm of elegance. I really can't tell much difference with excess chest for both suits because you literally look well fitted in both.

Chulillo

Reaction score
@nttdocomo I like how the navy jacket fits. There is no excess fabric OTR. That said, if your tailor/seamstress can fix the gray one then go ahead. Considering how they look just off the rack, the navy jacket looks better IMO than the grey one.

About the length of Washington jackets, I fin them perfect. I do have long legs so that benefits me I guess but I was about to buy a Hudson jacket and now I feel weird after reading that is shorter. I didn't read much on the SuSu webpage and it says it is shorter... so I am in doubt... would it be too short? I g uess the onlyl thing I can do is to buy it and if it is not to my liking returning it...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads