• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ustudent

Reaction score
Don't have the luxury of going into a store. Would it be advisable to speak with customer service and give them my measurements so I may order the suit online? Has anyone does that before, and have your results been good?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't have the luxury of going into a store. Would it be advisable to speak with customer service and give them my measurements so I may order the suit online? Has anyone does that before, and have your results been good?

yes. and please read this thread, waaaaaay back to basics.

NormsR

Reaction score
I came across these pictures from the 2004 Suitsupply ad campaign with the slogan 'Suitsupply killing prices'

. I wonder if this would have worked in the US
smile.gif

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are my two finished suits. I am NOT looking for your opinions, just two pictures for reference on the two styles...
Sienna 42R
IMG_4278.jpg

Napoli 42R
IMG_4276.jpg

Cheers,
Jay

pants too big, jacket a little too big, shoes should be burned

Here are 2 new jackets from Suitsupply. They are both RTW with no alterations made.

man thats a lot of pulling. At 6'2" and 187lbs, you should definitely be looking at a 40

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come on now, that's absurd. First, the pants are perfectly acceptable and within the realm of personal preference. Second, on the Sienna, you can see the X where the button is pulling and the lapels are laying nowhere near as nicely as on the Napoli. Even the shoulders look a little tight. As for the Napoli, I think the fit is a good example of a classic fit (not the trendy SF ultra-tight look) with the lapels laying nicely, the shoulders looking spot on and the jacket showing waist suppression while still draping nicely. You may prefer a more trendy slim cut, but the Napoli fit is perfectly acceptable.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come on now, that's absurd.  First, the pants are perfectly acceptable and within the realm of personal preference.  Second, on the Sienna, you can see the X where the button is pulling and the lapels are laying nowhere near as nicely as on the Napoli.  Even the shoulders look a little tight.  As for the Napoli, I think the fit is a good example of a classic fit (not the trendy SF ultra-tight look) with the lapels laying nicely, the shoulders looking spot on and the jacket showing waist suppression while still draping nicely.  You may prefer a more trendy slim cut, but the Napoli fit is perfectly acceptable.

I disagree completely about the pants. Thats a full break+ Does that work with a huge leg opening on an old sack suit, maybe....on this...I don't think so.

The waist of the jacket seems ok, but it just looks big in light of what is supposed to be a slim cut. Perhaps the angle of the pics isn't doing it any favors.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yup. Too much break.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree completely about the pants. Thats a full break+ Does that work with a huge leg opening on an old sack suit, maybe....on this...I don't think so.
The waist of the jacket seems ok, but it just looks big in light of what is supposed to be a slim cut. Perhaps the angle of the pics isn't doing it any favors.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the fullness of the pant legs. I agree they need to be shortened.

jsbjoey

Reaction score
I think the Suit Supply jackets are probably the right size, just in need of alterations (esp. the waist in the navy - i.e., around where it is buttoned). the shoulders seem ok, no?, and i think going up a size will destroy the look. the left (gray) one will turn out great for sure...

Putonghua73

Reaction score
I popped into the Vigo Street store in London today, because I need to update my basic suits i.e. navy and dark gray (solids). It also afforded me the opportunity to try the different cuts to determine what was best for my figure. Given that I refuse to consider peak lapels, most of the Washington line was out. I also wanted straight pockets and no ticket pocket. So I tried the Jort, London, Napoli and Sienna ranges in a 40R and a 40L.

First up, for my figure (6ft, 185.50lbs) 40L is too long - the 40R provides a much better fit. Second, the Napoli - as mentioned previously in this thread - has a high button stance, but more importantly for me, a high rise and too much flare with the double vents. The SA - well presented, affable and knowledgeable - concurred with my concern regarding how the Napoli looks on me. He agreed that the rise gave me too much 'back' and looked more like tail-coats. The Sienna had much better shoulders in terms of less padding and a less structured feel, but same issue with the Napoli with the double vents. Cannot remember the Jort, except I disliked it enough that it was off in under 30 seconds!

The London, in terms of a more conservative cut, more conservative lapels and a lower button stance worked much, much better. The 40R Navy pinhead worked well - except for the trousers. Despite a 6" drop (34), the trousers felt a size or two smaller. I didn't even give the SA the opportunity to see the trousers on me because they actually felt uncomfortable to wear. He suggested waiting for 2 weeks until their new stock arrives, then coming back and seeing how I get on with the autumn / winter collection.

I also checked out Charles Tyrwhitt, but I most confess Suit Supply has a much bigger range, better material and superb customer service. Hopefully, the new Autumn / Winter [London] range will work better with my figure. I just put on my Charles Tyrwhitt Charcoal suit (well, the jacket) that I bought last summer and had tailored to take in the waist. Really good fit, and single vent with low rise and low flare. I personally prefer the Charles Tyrwhitt fit and single vent, using Suit Supply's material. 鱼和熊掌不可兼得 (you can't have everything).

Also, my language partner was (unfortunately) correct when she placed her hand on my stomach, looked at me earnestly and remarked, "啤酒肚!“ (beer belly). I need to lose weight and gain tone and definition in the very worst place to gain weight [gut] in terms of wearing suits. A change of diet and regular gym sessions should pay dividends - not to mention, cutting out beer, which I've recently started drinking again.

Last edited:

lexmann

Reaction score

I popped into the Vigo Street store in London today, because I need to update my basic suits i.e. navy and dark gray (solids). It also afforded me the opportunity to try the different cuts to determine what was best for my figure. Given that I refuse to consider peak lapels, most of the Washington line was out. I also wanted straight pockets and no ticket pocket. So I tried the Jort, London, Napoli and Sienna ranges in a 40R and a 40L.

First up, for my figure (6ft, 185.50lbs) 40L is too long - the 40R provides a much better fit. Second, the Napoli - as mentioned previously in this thread - has a high button stance, but more importantly for me, a high rise and too much flare with the double vents. The SA - well presented, affable and knowledgeable - concurred with my concern regarding how the Napoli looks on me. He agreed that the rise gave me too much 'back' and looked more like tail-coats. The Sienna had much better shoulders in terms of less padding and a less structured feel, but same issue with the Napoli with the double vents. Cannot remember the Jort, except I disliked it enough that it was off in under 30 seconds!

The London, in terms of a more conservative cut, more conservative lapels and a lower button stance worked much, much better. The 40R Navy pinhead worked well - except for the trousers. Despite a 6" drop (34), the trousers felt a size or two smaller. I didn't even give the SA the opportunity to see the trousers on me because they actually felt uncomfortable to wear. He suggested waiting for 2 weeks until their new stock arrives, then coming back and seeing how I get on with the autumn / winter collection.

I also checked out Charles Tyrwhitt, but I most confess Suit Supply has a much bigger range, better material and superb customer service. Hopefully, the new Autumn / Winter [London] range will work better with my figure. I just put on my Charles Tyrwhitt Charcoal suit (well, the jacket) that I bought last summer and had tailored to take in the waist. Really good fit, and single vent with low rise and low flare. I personally prefer the Charles Tyrwhitt fit and single vent, using Suit Supply's material. 鱼和熊掌不可兼得 (you can't have everything).

Also, my language partner was (unfortunately) correct when she placed her hand on my stomach, looked at me earnestly and remarked, "啤酒肚!“ (beer belly). I need to lose weight and gain tone and definition in the very worst place to gain weight [gut] in terms of wearing suits. A change of diet and regular gym sessions should pay dividends - not to mention, cutting out beer, which I've recently started drinking again.

Could you tell us price point of the models you tried on?

jaymac10

Reaction score

Apparently, you have trouble reading :fu:

Wasn't looking, nor care about your opinion. For me, the pants aren’t too long nor is the jacket too big. I agree that from these specific picutres, the pants look a tad long, but again, they are not. If you think you know what you’re talking about after seeing one picture from one angle, I pity anyone who actually makes a decision based on your opinion or advice.

The pictures are for people interested in seeing the two cuts. That's it.

Please post a picture of you wearing a suit so I can see how you style yourself. I’ll refrain from commenting further until then :fonz:

facet

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with Quadcammer sharing his thoughts. True, you're not looking for opinions; but that doesn't mean he can't give his two cents anyways if he wants to. Thanks for sharing at any rate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads