• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for a full length overcoat?

fcong

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking for a full length overcoat for the upcoming winter (northeastern coast). Before this winter, I've never worn a suit during snowing seasons, but since I'm going to do so I feel that I need a full length overcoat to keep myself warm from garage to office (a few minutes walk). I really need your suggestions as to what brands/options are best for my budget (~$400-600)? Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

palk

Reaction score
Most overcoats aren't actually full length, but rather 3/4 length because full length coats are very difficult to maneuver in. I would recommend a british warm coat, a covert coat, or a paletot depending on your style preferences and how cold it will actually be.

fcong

Reaction score
Most overcoats aren't actually full length, but rather 3/4 length because full length coats are very difficult to maneuver in. I would recommend a british warm coat, a covert coat, or a paletot depending on your style preferences and how cold it will actually be.

Thanks, most of the time I think the outside temp is around 20-30 degree during Jan-March, do you have any specific brands that you would recommend?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it's already late November, you don't have the luxury of time to shop around, wait for a good sale, keep an eye on eBay, etc. And don't even talk to me about Black Friday at "the mall," since I think I'd rather undergo a root canal, than do that. :)

No, I'd recommend you go to the Jos. A. Bank website - tonight - and purchase a full length merino wool topcoat, for $99. I specify "tonight," since for all I know, this sale could end today, and tomorrow the price would be back up to $450. And the coat's not worth $450. But it is a good deal at $99.

So, that'll give you a perfectly decent full length overcoat, for a good price, to wear this winter. And if you decide you want to buy something nicer/different/100% cashmere/whatever for next winter, fine, you'll have plenty of time to work out just what to buy and where and when.

Heck, be a real sport, and spring for a $39 cashmere scarf. Sure, it'll be mediocre quality cashmere, but between the merino topcoat and the cashmere scarf, you'll look better than the vast majority of men on their way to the office. And you'll be warm, too.

fcong

Reaction score
Since it's already late November, you don't have the luxury of time to shop around, wait for a good sale, keep an eye on eBay, etc. And don't even talk to me about Black Friday at "the mall," since I think I'd rather undergo a root canal, than do that.
smile.gif

No, I'd recommend you go to the Jos. A. Bank website - tonight - and purchase a full length merino wool topcoat, for $99. I specify "tonight," since for all I know, this sale could end today, and tomorrow the price would be back up to $450. And the coat's not worth $450. But it is a good deal at $99.

So, that'll give you a perfectly decent full length overcoat, for a good price, to wear this winter. And if you decide you want to buy something nicer/different/100% cashmere/whatever for next winter, fine, you'll have plenty of time to work out just what to buy and where and when.

Heck, be a real sport, and spring for a $39 cashmere scarf. Sure, it'll be mediocre quality cashmere, but between the merino topcoat and the cashmere scarf, you'll look better than the vast majority of men on their way to the office. And you'll be warm, too.
WOW! Thanks for the tips!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Brooks Brothers sale might also fit your budget. For a real bargain, look at the buying and selling forum here. There are always overcoats listed in the classic menswear section. Luxeswap (see the thread in CM) is also an excellent bet.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads