1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Darwin called. He doesn't like the west side lines tonight.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

What's with the Sanitation trucks? Do they actually do anything besides create a dust cloud and a lot of noise? They have this little dribbling squirter thing, which I assume is supposed to keep dust down, but it doesn't. Is the squirter thing alcohol, or some kind of sanitizer? Apparently these things cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, but what do we benefit from them?

3. gomestar

the one thing that baffles me is it mentions a 250 gallon water tank that sprays water at the rate of 7 gallons a minute. So that's basically 35 minutes of water. And then what? Does it empty its contents into a sewer, refill the water, and then continue? Or is it done for the day (not a union joke)?

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

5. patrickBOOTH

Come-on, you know it was a union joke. I say they phase these bozos out through attrition. They are probably making $200,000 to do this job with full pensions.

1 person likes this.
  6. gomestar

the more I think about it, the more I believe this guy was getting knocked off sooner or later and that 18 years was a pretty good run.

it's hard for me to think of a more dangerous thing to do than cross to the other platform via the tracks, and I've actually seen people do it before. The thing is, it's not nice and neat down there and you have to be super careful of where you step. I'd fall on my clumsy ass immediately. If it rains, it's usually wet down there, and it was raining on Monday. This would make any metal or wooden stuff down there slippery. Assuming you navigate correctly, there's still the third rail which will fry you if you touch it (I once saw a video of a drunk hobo stumble around the tracks and right onto the third rail). Yes, i've pondered "I wonder how easy it would be to get across", and the conclusion has always been "not easy, it's stupid". Especially if there's any bit of alcohol in one's system, which apparently this kid had.

So yeah, crazy dangerous. But the thing is, this guy tried it at a station where there were express tracks in the middle. So twice as long across, twice as many rails, twice as many electrical rails. And in the two middle tracks you have express trains blasting through the station without stopping. He did it during rush hour when the trains run with the most frequency. And if there were the time tables at the station, they would have only indicated the local trains, not the express trains since they didn't stop there. And since it's so far across, there's no way he'd be able to see the time table of the local train running in the opposite direction.

so yeah, a good run.

7. patrickBOOTH

It is a good thing this kid didn't yet reproduce. I fear that he has siblings.

8. MRMan

MRMan Well-Known Member

While I generally hate blogs and refuse to read them, this one caught my eye when it made news locally. A blog devoted to publicly shaming those with improper etiquette on public transportation in my hometown of Toronto:

http://ihopeyourbagiscomfortableasshole.tumblr.com/

1 person likes this.
  9. LawrenceMD

10. patrickBOOTH

That's old news^ Posted a long time ago here and elsewhere. Get with it, son.

2 people like this.
  11. LawrenceMD

that was the right shoe, this is the left one.

12. patrickBOOTH

13. gomestar

train ride this morning was awful, but this time the MTA had nothing to do with it. Walked on to a car with a bike and some woman (she was only sort of hot) who was a pole leaner. Frustrating.

14. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

Wait - that *isn't* the correct technique for a mirror shine? :embar:

15. patrickBOOTH

Just had to deal with this bitch and her kids. The train wasn't that full this morning and this woman kept pulling her three kids closer by the door boxing me. they were like on top of me. It was really aggravating. Why box me in when there is a ton of room? Why touch strangers if you don't have to. I wanted to punch her fucking teeth in.

16. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Many women seem to think the fact they've managed to squeeze out a sprog somehow entitles them to act like the world belongs to them.

I was changing my boots in a boot locker recently and some five year old was lying down taking up a whole bench - there was nowhere else to sit so I pushed him up a bit and sat at the end. He didn't care but his mother was like "hey mind his feet". FU, you can see there's no where else for me to sit so I'm just suppose to wait here for your kid to stop mucking around?

17. patrickBOOTH

See "Supermom" on the first page. I hate parents where you need to see to their every whim because they have kids. Kids doesn't entitle you to special treatment. It's not my fault you have a little fucking brat.

5 people like this.
  18. gomestar

every once in a while I'll see parents who are model citizens with their kids on public transportation. I've noticed no correlation with who these people are as it has spanned all genders and ethnicities. The only sure thing is its rarity.

the mothers with awful brat kids are usually white, though sometimes black. the white parents usually have bratty kids and they are bratty parents, the black parents usually have bratty kids and they have an aire of "i can't deal with this shit anymore so I'm just going to tune it all out and sit here in peace".

the space-ship sized stroller mothers during rush hour are usually latina.

1 person likes this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

I remember a long time ago I was at a restaurant/pizza place with my parents and these kids were all at one table and the parents at another. My mother saw some of the kids opening the salt and pepper shakers and spitting into them. My mother said something to the kids and one of the mothers flipped a shit on my mother. Typical, upper-middle class, entitled bitch. I wanted to punch her teeth down her throat.