• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the worst is not necessarily the slow walkers - it's those who use the entry turstyle as their personal table while they rifle through their purses to find a metrocard. Block that turnstyle from my entrance, especially as a train is stopping, and be prepared for me to voice my discontent (which I have done).
I hate those people.

At least this doesn't happen in Tokyo, people are quite efficient. Also you don't have to take out your Suica/Pasmo (transport smart cards) they work from inside a wallet or purse.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My cab driver today had an extra thumb. I touched it when he handed me my change.

They say the opposable thumb is one of the greatest leaps in human evolution... maybe this man is from the future?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually had a really pleasant subway ride this morning. My girlfriend and I both got seats very easily. There was plenty of room. The train ran a tiny bit slow due to the train ahead of us being rather packed. The bonus was the absurd amount of good looking people in the car. There was a girl with a large Gucci shopping bag who was simply STUNNING. Another Persian looking girl who had a gorgeous face and perfectly shaped eyebrows. There were a couple of mixed race looking girls who were very pretty sitting next to me so I couldn't get a great look. There were even several good looking gents as well. My girlfriend mentioned how attractive our car was and I agreed.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A breakdown of various subway PSA's. I don't know if these a normal or not, lacking any sort of frame of reference.

Don't text or play games while walking. The video shows a young man texting, not paying attention, and walking into a wall.

Don't cross your legs while sitting. Animation of girl doing so and accidentally kicking somebody in the shin.

Don't walk on escalators. Shows a dummy in a suit falling down the escalator. Then shows several rows of smiling people standing side by side as the escaltor descends, staring blankly ahead.

Do give up your seat to those who are preggers. A guy reading a book doesn't notice a pregnant lady. Her young son coughs to get his attention. He looks up, covers his face in embarrassment, and gives her the seat. The man and the boy then bow to each other.

Don't try and ride for free. Video shows a young man in a suit stepping over the turnstyle while others look on in disgust. Then shows an old man obliviously walking through and tripping.

Don't light bombs on the subway. Shows a guy with a molotov cocktail and little children fleeing from the ensuing flames.

I hate it when I'm on the subway, writing about the subway, and miss my stop because of it.

Last edited:

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A breakdown of various subway PSA's. I don't know if these a normal or not, lacking any sort of frame of reference.
Don't text or play games while walking. The video shows a young man texting, not paying attention, and walking into a wall.
Don't cross your legs while sitting. Animation of girl doing so and accidentally kicking somebody in the shin.
Don't walk on escalators. Shows a dummy in a suit falling down the escalator. Then shows several rows of smiling people standing side by side as the escaltor descends, staring blankly ahead.
Do give up your seat to those who are preggers. A guy reading a book doesn't notice a pregnant lady. Her young son coughs to get his attention. He looks up, covers his face in embarrassment, and gives her the seat. The man and the boy then bow to each other.
Don't try and ride for free. Video shows a young man in a suit stepping over the turnstyle while others look on in disgust. Then shows an old man obliviously walking through and tripping.
Don't light bombs on the subway. Shows a guy with a molotov cocktail and little children fleeing from the ensuing flames.
I hate it when I'm on the subway, writing about the subway, and miss my stop because of it.
**** that. in thailand they have signs telling you to give up your seat to monks.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

**** that. in thailand they have signs telling you to give up your seat to monks.

They have a bad habit to set themselves on fire if things are not getting their ways...

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trains in Tokyo have "Silver Seats" for the aged, disabled people, pregnant women, and parents with small children. Fogies and gimps sure I'll give up my seat, but I have no sympathy for those with self inflicted wounds.

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always give my seats for older people,disabled,pregnant women and small childrens.

Grossly Overweight people must be forced to stand up because it is good for them anyway...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I always give my seats for older people,disabled,pregnant women and small childrens.
Grossly Overweight people must be forced to stand up because it is good for them anyway...

Maybe their heart, not so much their knees...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads