• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stupid s*** my roommate says

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think some of it is laziness, and the rest is a put-on. Speaking of the put-on, it's a lot of fun when it goes over well and the patsy buys it lock, stock, and barrel. Your first mission is to see if there's a webcam watching you, cause you just might be on candid camera.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not a put on. He was born in the U.S., but spent something like 7 years in Nigeria. Has the accent and everything.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Connie, at least he doesnt smell and lie pathologically. My first-year roommate was an indian guy on the track team. I had 2 main problems with him.

1) His mother cooked him his food every week and he would store it in a cheap ass fridge that didn't get cold enough. When he opened it up the room would smell for 15minutes, and it was a truly nasty smell. Ironically, i love indian food, but it doesn't smell good when stored like this (there was a lot of condensation in the fridge that made it smell worse).

2) He would come back from practice and lie down on his bed. HE stunkkkkkkkkkkkk when he got back. I told him it was really nasty and to start showering right away.

This stuff wasn't such a big deal and I reached compromises with him. What I will tell you next is mind boggling though.I'm surprised he wasn't in creative writing. Who would make this **** up?

3) He said when he was in HS some of the blacks (there's lots of indian and black gangs where he came from) gagned up on him because they didn't like that he was a track star. He said he got jumped for no reason a bunch of times and that towards the end of HS he bought a gun because he was worried about what might happen. Then one day he came back from the weekend looking distraught and said "dude, i've got to tell you something, but it's realy serious and you can't tell anyone."I'll keep the details short, but in essence he said that while he was out at a club he got stuck with a needle and that he thought it was the same guys that gave him trouble in hs. He actually made a pretty convincing story out of it. And then naturally the conversation turned towards planning to kill them. The same night he even claimed to see them on campus and so we got the head of residence involved and he got the guy to sleep in a different room and had the campus police on alert. At the time he had everyone convinced (people getting stuck with AIDS needles in clubs was something we were hearing a lot of in Toronto at the time). What made me think it was bs was that he never mentioned it afterwards. For a guy that supposedly had hiv he didn't act like it and his talk of revenge subsided after a week or two. I didn't really think about it after that poitn because life returned to normal. I think the real truth was that his gf broke up with him and he was seeking attention.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Connie, at least he doesnt smell and lie pathologically. My first-year roommate was an indian guy on the track team. I had 2 main problems with him.

1) His mother cooked him his food every week and he would store it in a cheap ass fridge that didn't get cold enough. When he opened it up the room would smell for 15minutes, and it was a truly nasty smell. Ironically, i love indian food, but it doesn't smell good when stored like this (there was a lot of condensation in the fridge that made it smell worse).

2) He would come back from practice and lie down on his bed. HE stunkkkkkkkkkkkk when he got back. I told him it was really nasty and to start showering right away.

This stuff wasn't such a big deal and I reached compromises with him. What I will tell you next is mind boggling though.I'm surprised he wasn't in creative writing. Who would make this **** up?

3) He said when he was in HS some of the blacks (there's lots of indian and black gangs where he came from) gagned up on him because they didn't like that he was a track star. He said he got jumped for no reason a bunch of times and that towards the end of HS he bought a gun because he was worried about what might happen. Then one day he came back from the weekend looking distraught and said "dude, i've got to tell you something, but it's realy serious and you can't tell anyone."I'll keep the details short, but in essence he said that while he was out at a club he got stuck with a needle and that he thought it was the same guys that gave him trouble in hs. He actually made a pretty convincing story out of it. And then naturally the conversation turned towards planning to kill them. The same night he even claimed to see them on campus and so we got the head of residence involved and he got the guy to sleep in a different room and had the campus police on alert. At the time he had everyone convinced (people getting stuck with AIDS needles in clubs was something we were hearing a lot of in Toronto at the time). What made me think it was bs was that he never mentioned it afterwards. For a guy that supposedly had hiv he didn't act like it and his talk of revenge subsided after a week or two. I didn't really think about it after that poitn because life returned to normal.

He does smell, actually. Especially after tennis matches. He's running a 5K today (so funny) and I am fearing his return later in the afternoon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
He does smell, actually. Especially after tennis matches. He's running a 5K today (so funny) and I am fearing his return later in the afternoon.

Put his bar of soap on the bed. He'll get the point.
tounge.gif

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol lying seems to be pretty common among college students in their first year specially.

I guess theyre eager to re-invent themselves or sound interesting, but your track star was just weird.

My first roommate used to lie constantly.

There was this girl in both of our class, we were talking to her once and he asks her if she was at this club on saturday, she says no.

Few hours later in the room, he forgets i was there for the convo and starts telling me how he ran into her at the club and she hit on him, etc.....

Another time, he tells me he hooked up with this very rich chick, and shows me a picture of her "bed" and "room", which was a picture taken from a furniture gallery next to the university.......

Then he claimed to be this DJ who had a show on radio. And i had attended several concerts for that DJ and well, it wasnt him.......

The weird thing is, this guy had a pretty hot gf, was pretty cool, and popular. He didnt need to come up with lies in the first place.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
The weird thing is, this guy had a pretty hot gf, was pretty cool, and popular. He didnt need to come up with lies in the first place.
I'll never understand the need to lie like that, either, but it's pretty common from what I hear. When I was in grad school there was a really funny, nice girl in the class. We often got put into groups and such together and she seemed really well balanced and put together. She mentioned she was in her mid twenties and had a small child from a marriage that hadn't lasted long, etc etc. She showed our group pics of the kid and once (here was where the weirdness started) a birth certificate. Anyway, it turns out she didn't even have a kid and she was just making the whole thing up (and took some other person's pictures and fabricated the certificate). Why... we had no idea. As you mentioned, she was a very nice girl otherwise and we would have liked her regardless of whether she had a kid or not. I thought this a really uncommon occurrence until I shared the story with my mother, who was an HR manager, and she mentioned that this sort of crazy lying along with document fabrication is actually pretty common...

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
this post is the reason why i hate affirmative action

Where's the icon for cringing?

Personally, I think bad behavior is distributed pretty equally among human beings.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Right, cause the only stupid people in college are black. Where's that jackoff smiley?
It's funny that people actually think this. It's almost always white students in my classes, by far, who have the lowest scores on papers/tests and are seemingly unconcerned with raising them. My black students consistently are in the top 10%... if not higher. As well, they are usually a part of organizations that have me send grade reports/checks each month just to ensure they are doing well and working hard, so even if they start off the semester doing poorly, by the end they are generally doing very well. I can't even get half of my white students to put their names on their papers or INDENT paragraphs, and they (like every other student) are offered free paper-checks/tutoring at the Learning Center on campus. It's also funny when I have ESL (English as a Second Language) students in the class from places that don't even use our Alphabet (China, Korea, Japan, Russia, etc.) and they write better papers than my white native language students. SO, anyway, yes, of course the only stupid people in college are black.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
this post is the reason why i hate affirmative action

Funny, because all the ******* marsupials I know that go to "decent" schools (UVA, Cornell, Yale, Brown, etc.) are white.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

Conne, OMFG! No idea you were so hardcore.

First GQ Geek:
51ARPPY94SL._AA240_.jpg

Now your roomie:
He Whipped ****** in Tennis (Then ******** His Ass in Bed)

You are completely reliving some classic Pansy Division.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Funny, because all the ******* marsupials I know that go to "decent" schools (UVA, Cornell, Yale, Brown, etc.) are white.
You can add Columbia, Chicago, and Princeton to that list, too, in my experience. The problem seems pandemic!

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
You can add Columbia, Chicago, and Princeton to that list, too, in my experience. The problem seems pandemic!

But are they exclusively white?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads