• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stollerys Toronto

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got suits from there if so, how are they?

quality size and fit.

thefreeman

Reaction score
My father purchases his suits solely from Stollery's, and the quality is top notch. Just don't let the sales associates con you into buying a suit that's too large, they seem to not have the greatest eye for fit.

And make use of their tailoring, it was complementary on my father's last visit, however he purchased four suits at once with a deal of shirts, so it may be different if less money is changing hands.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
What brands do they offer in suits, shirts, ties, shoes, etc.?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst thing about Stollery's is the annoying, almost stalking, presence of the sales staff. It is a good place to find a duffel coat.

trogdor

Reaction score
I've had pretty good service there buying a haspel seersucker suit, a few shirts and a couple of pocket squares.

The above several comments about the sales staff ring true with me too. Two comments:

1) The staff can be quite snobby if they don't like the look of you. One time I went in wearing shorts and sandals, and they were pretty disdainful. Another time, I went in wearing a jacket and tie, and they were very helfpful.

2) I think the staff there work on quite heavy commissions. Here's my amusing story:

I went in to get a seersucker suit when they were having a big sale. One salesman helped me pick out a suit, but when I came out of the changing room, he had gone, so a different salesman started marking up the suit for alterations. When the first one came back, they had a surprisingly venomous verbal exchange about whose customer I was, right there in front of me. It was totally unprofessional, but I let it slide because both of them must have been in their seventies, and it was hilarious to see two geriatrics get so worked up about who gets to measure my leg.

It's true also that they have no idea of fit -- they'll consistently try to sell you something that's one size too big unless you are absolutely firm with them.

GucciKid

Reaction score
Im not too sure what brands they carry but they do indeed work on heavy commission. I almost got a job there and they pay would have been $400 or 8% per week (40+ hours). So you'd have to sell over $5000 per week to get commission, which might not be that hard I guess, but the few times I've been in there were more salesmen than customers.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get my contact lenses from the shop next door, and i've browsed around and yes, the salespeople are... quirky

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like Harry Rosen except for the age of the sales staff. How can they not understand fit? This seems to me integral to selling suits.

thefreeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Sounds a bit like Harry Rosen except for the age of the sales staff. How can they not understand fit? This seems to me integral to selling suits.
Yes, fit is perhaps the most important quality a suit must possess; the general populace firstly does not know how clothes should fit, having been force-fed boxy garbage by mass market retailers, and secondly, prefers "comfort", which is a fanciful euphemism for looseness. As I've said before, and has been described in the posts above, go in with a deal of knowledge about what the suit you are purchasing should look like, and do not budge from this ideal. At every step the salesmen and tailor will try to give you "the usual", assuming you don't know what's what. Hold firm and try to talk directly to the staff who will be altering the garment rather than the salesmen, as it's much easier to convey the desired shape. Alternatively, just go to Harry Rosen when on sale, or Holt Renfrew.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just in there today actually. The salespeople were pretty weird all around, and that's really hurting the vibe of the store. When i walked in it felt very vintage and I felt uneasy being there just to browse because salespeople are pretty much stalking you everywhere you go.

Aside from the service, they seem to carry a lot of variety but I feel they should have the sections better labeled, i.e having a slim fit section.

From all the posts in this topic it really sucks that such a classy place has such ****** staff.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thefreeman

Yes, fit is perhaps the most important quality a suit must possess; the general populace firstly does not know how clothes should fit, having been force-fed boxy garbage by mass market retailers, and secondly, prefers "comfort", which is a fanciful euphemism for looseness.

+1
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by thefreeman

As I've said before, and has been described in the posts above, go in with a deal of knowledge about what the suit you are purchasing should look like, and do not budge from this ideal. At every step the salesmen and tailor will try to give you "the usual", assuming you don't know what's what. Hold firm and try to talk directly to the staff who will be altering the garment rather than the salesmen, as it's much easier to convey the desired shape.

Alternatively, just go to Harry Rosen when on sale, or Holt Renfrew.

+1 again.
bigstar[1].gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think their staff and style suits their target market.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I think their staff and style suits their target market.

A big +1

Stollery's has been serving the Toronto establishment for going on a hundred years and they have not changed their business model or their sales approach - I admire that kind of tenacity.

My godfather, now in his 70s, worked there out of university and it was exactly the same 50 years ago as it is now. My grandfather and dad both shopped there and my early suits and coats came from there too. I'm on the west coast now but when my wife wanted to surprise me with a gloverall coat, she simply called and they fedexed the goods - transaction took less than 10 minutes on the phone. For me, that kind of service is superb. I wouldn't shop there now for most things, but I'm glad that this kind of store still exists.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the staff needs to get up to date, they cant be selling loose fitting suits to a market that wants something slimmer.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb_32
Yeah but the staff needs to get up to date,
What are you talking about?
they cant be selling loose fitting suits to a market that wants something slimmer.
confused.gif
That's what tailors and alterations are for. Do you even own a suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads