• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simple solution:

Slim - Box pleat
Contemporary - Clean back

Didn't mean to like that comment.

If anything, keep a clean back on the slims and box pleat on the contemporary.

Oxfords should have at least side pleats, but I am for keeping the box pleat. Not only is it traditional, it is functional.

GSG

Reaction score
IMy vote is for a box pleat with locker loop and an extra button on the back of the collar for a true oxford and casual shirts.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order of preference,
1. Box pleat
2. No pleats
3. No shirts at all
998. Slim box pleat
999. Create a black hole that swallows up the Earth
1000. Side pleats

Please don't put side pleats on an OCBD. Please don't make a slim box pleat. Cheers. :cheers:

Last edited:

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, or:
Slim - clean back
Contemporary - box pleat

I'm impartial really, but this way you can kind of appeal to both camps.

Spex

Reaction score
I wear contemporary fit, but would prefer a clean back. I don't agree that a box pleat is either visually interesting nor that it really provides that much extra freedom of movement. When it pops open it just looks bad. Having said that, I don't consider it a deal breaker. I wouldn't do side pleats, though.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't you glad you opened this can of worms, Rick?

My thinking is similar to the above by @Spex. But option 999 is starting to sound more appealing.

bossman08

Reaction score
As ive stated before, I much prefer clean back, but I could maybe live with a box pleat on a true oxford shirt only...and in the contemporary fit. Box pleat on a slim is pointless, as is a 'slim box pleat', which would look off.

The rest of the casual shirt options with button collar should absolutely have clean back. Cleaner look, less fabric and more versatile.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
2 questions: 1) is the pricing still the same at 1095 for suit, add 100 for full canvas? 2) ever think of doing a run of off the rack run of fresco trousers? Your trousers fit me well enough that I could probably buy those instead of mtm.

Edit: If I could save ~$100

Yes. $1095 CAD for 2 piece. +$150 CAD for Full Canvas.

I asked Minnis for bulk price on the cloth and it's still pretty costly. We would have to be about $275 CAD/pair. If there is enough interest in them, we could run them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads