• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been washing and drying my OCBDs and they've shrunk a bit. Not a ton, but just wanted to give the heads up to the new OCBD owners. I believe they shrunk in my favor and I'll continue to wash and dry for a more casual fit.

Totally agreed with the above post on more varied patterns for fall. Or more varied in general.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have successfully shrunk SM shirts in the dryer to fit a bit better for me. I used to MTM until my wife (dryer nazi) cooked a few too small.

I now dryclean all my proper shirts.

I also second @Burzan suggestions. What makes those shirts look better is the buttons. If you could source some horn, urea, or horn looking buttons for the casual pieces I would very much like it.

Could use them on the flannels for fall, chambray, denim (if you get any), linens, etc... Light and dark brown

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That MTM is very tempting... I'm going to have to think about this! Rick, can you do lapels on the waistcoat?

Also, regarding the brushed OCBDs, any chance of seeing the light blue and medium blue side-by-side?

I'll try to get that up tomorrow.

Rick,

Absolutely fantastic deal on the custom suits. I will likely take advantage of this in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I have a rather strange question.

I have grown quite fond of the hangers you include with your sportcoats. I am a 36, so it is nearly impossible for me to find a hanger that isn't too long across in the shoulders, but still has the wide shoulder pieces (if that makes sense). All other hangers I find with a 2"-3" shoulder are 18" long and the shoulders of my jackets are just over 17". Is there any way you (or anyone else) can tell me where I can buy these? Or better yet, would you sell me 3 or 4 with my next order?

Also, when do you plan on having this in OTR?

d148e6bdda92202e993bf75bbe5fd25f.jpg

We can sell the Hangars if needed. We don't have a whole tonne of extras kicking around, but we have a few. Email customer service and they will get you the details.

I bought a brushed Oxford in November (specifically RY-905 4C3KF5) and as a one-unbuttoned person, I am not a fan of the change in button placement. This shirt is now relegated only to wearing with a tie or under a sweater, which is a shame because I like it.

I don't mean to be dragging up a debate again, but I'd just like confirmation if A) this is now the default for all oxfords (I believe it is) and B) if this is now true of all dress shirts (I'm hoping it isn't).

The new oxfords have the "old" button stance. The button down collar prevents the collar from opening too much when unbuttoned, so we were able to shift if back. The dress shirts are at the new raised stance. As explained, this allows to wear the shirt with the collar and first button unbuttoned without showing too much chest. This is how a good majority of European brands stance their buttons. Eton and Turnbull & Asser are two that come to mind right off the bat.

Can we walk in on a weekend to get measured for the MTO/MTM program?

Yes Sir.

I've been washing and drying my OCBDs and they've shrunk a bit. Not a ton, but just wanted to give the heads up to the new OCBD owners. I believe they shrunk in my favor and I'll continue to wash and dry for a more casual fit.

Totally agreed with the above post on more varied patterns for fall. Or more varied in general.

Well noted on expanding the variety. This program is in its infancy and we have room to do a lot of great things.

The new oxford fabric was tested and has a shrinkage of only 1.5%.

redbeardedmike

Reaction score
Rick, I understand your reasoning for placing the button where you do, but it doesn't work for me (so I guess the other shirt makers would not work either). Two undone buttons shows more chest than I want. The higher 2nd button placement means that 1 undone is way too high and tight.

This means I can't see myself buying any more off the rack dress shirts. I'm assuming the button placement can be modified in custom.

Lancaster

Reaction score
Rick,

Just wanted to throw in support for the new button stance. I like it and find it very practical. Your manner in handling feedback of all types is commendable. If you weren't so good at what you do, I'd suggest having a go in politics.

Also, I recently placed an order and I was astounded at the speed and ease of communication and the way customer service handled issues with the order. Very impressed. Tight ship you guys are running.

Lan

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
It's been on my list to visit the main shop for 2+ years. Given you're in the 905 that hasn't happened and likely never will. Can't wait for the downtown shop to be opened. I have several threadbare pair of trou I'm waiting to replace.

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
It's been on my list to visit the main shop for 2+ years. Given you're in the 905 that hasn't happened and likely never will. Can't wait for the downtown shop to be opened. I have several threadbare pair of trou I'm waiting to replace.
They are close to the airport, so not really all that far out of the city. Probably 25 minute drive on a Saturday morning.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys in Toronto kill me... How is Mississauga too far? You are unable to get to Mississauga in 2 years, and likely never will? I think I might have walked my dog further once..

UserNameToronto

Reaction score

They are close to the airport, so not really all that far out of the city. Probably 25 minute drive on a Saturday morning.

I don't really get north of Bloor. After 2 years of telling myself to take a 30min drive out there, it hasn't happened yet.

You guys in Toronto kill me... How is Mississauga too far?  You are unable to get to Mississauga in 2 years, and likely never will?  I think I might have walked my dog further once.. 

LOL - true though. Round trip including time to try on clothes would be 2 hours...which is time I'd rather spend in my own neighborhood with my sprog.

Just being honest - weekends are precious. Looking forward to popping into the 416 S&M location at a lunch break.

Last edited:

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
I miss working downtown (Just for the women)

It's hard to disagree with this, though I would have to add decent lunch spots as well. My office park in Mississauga is a complete and utter wasteland on both fronts.

But I digress...

Chambertin

Reaction score
It's hard to disagree with this, though I would have to add decent lunch spots as well. My office park in Mississauga is a complete and utter wasteland on both fronts.

But I digress...

There's a reason there isn't a 'Ultimate Mississauga thread'
wink.gif

In all seriousness, I haven't been either, because it's a long way to go specifically, and I've never been in the area on a day/time they're open.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Markham and I guess since I'm used to driving. 30 mins doesn't really bother me, but I can see the city guys having an issue.

Oh and for those who happen to go on Saturday. I find that you either go really early or after 2.30pm. Otherwise it's pretty busy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads