• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like many on SF I prefer traditional suspenders/braces for suit trousers, belts for odd jacket/trouser combinations.

My ideal suit trousers would have DAK adjusters, suspender buttons, and no belt loops.

Cheers,

Ac

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to think about it from your business perspective and what you feel your clients will buy.
Your half canvas suits are 450$ Do you think a 200 or 300$ gap up to your full canvas is appropriate. I would say 200 is more cohesive in your business model. Fit quality value.

Also make sure your guys emphasis the super 110 benefits and longevity. Lots of guys just see higher as better.

I have to retract my earlier "you must go with an Italian known mill". You don't.

If I was your only customer I would say Italian. But I'm not. You guys know what you can sell, choose what is best for the majority of your customers.
If SF geeks want Italian milled stuff (which we do). Get some Italian books and offer an attractive MTO program if possible.

Chambertin

Reaction score
Just to chime in, for me, 100% on side adjusters. I don't wear belts, other than with jeans or certain casual wear. With suits, I wear suspenders or just 'nude' so I strongly prefer side adjusters for a cleaner look.

As for the fabric, I have to say I've been waiting for S&P to offer the full canvas suits as I'm going to purchase some staple suits in the next year. Put bluntly, I'll likely end up at Suit Supply, because of the Italian fabrics. I have no experience with this Chinese fabric, but to me, I am extremely skeptical it's almost as good. I'll pay $100 extra for the premium fabric, since I'm already paying a premium for full canvassing.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
But if you're getting canvass isn't the SS price point a lot higher than S&M? I thought the canvass suits were about $1,000, if not more, so that's a big premium. In the SS canvass price range I think there are better options in TO. Don't know about Ottawa to be honest. I only have one SS suit that I got on-line from the outlet. Great fit, design, loved it, but did not hold up. Not all fabrics from the same mill are of the same quality obvious. I agree that most people, including me, will defer to a well-known mill between 2 mills.

Rick, I would consider adding more fabrics to the custom suit options. Btw, I'll be on Wednesday to get measured up.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't buy this idea that an Asian milled fabric may not be a premium fabric. Maybe it's just the industry I'm coming from but I don't buy into the "Well this is how it's been done so we should stick with it" mentality, and I don't like the immediately negative perceptions toward Asian manufacturing as we're not talking about Old Navy or Banana Republic, so I trust Spier to choose an appropriate fabric and I'll buy regardless of the decision. At >$500 though I will have to start considering Benjamin (eHaberdasher) as well.

I'm in favor of side tabs + suspender buttons.

Vasco

Reaction score

But if you're getting canvass isn't the SS price point a lot higher than S&M? I thought the canvass suits were about $1,000, if not more, so that's a big premium.

No it's not a lot higher. $750 usd is just over $1000 cad with credit card fees. That certainly put things in perspective from a pricing stand point. If I were to pay that much, I would go with the Italian fabric as it would be in direct competition with La Spalla.

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No it's not a lot higher. $750 usd is just over $1000 cad with credit card fees. That certainly put things in perspective from a pricing stand point. If I were to pay that much, I would go with the Italian fabric as it would be in direct competition with La Spalla.

I think the 750 was full canvas in Italian fabric cost in Canadian dollars so it would be cheaper than SuSu.

I wanted to bring up a different angle: whether full or half canvas makes a difference to Rick's client base. I would prefer half canvas and better fabric over full canvas and mediocre fabric for one.

On a related note: I am not in the market for suits as I have a few decent staples and mostly wear odd jackets these days so if there is a RTW or MTM option with good fabrics (whatever their provenance), count on me.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I'll speak for myself. It would be very hard, if not impossible, for me to pass up on a $560 full canvas suit with side tabs and an Italian fabric. It looks to be pretty split on here though.

If 80% of your customers are Canadian, you could always poll the in store customers.

linds_15

Reaction score
what were the fabric suppliers for the model 1 and model 2 suits? how much better would the asian and/or italian suppliers be than the current line?

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Ebichuman I misspoke. Not Reda, not sure who does the Model 2 fabrics. Their sample full canvas was made by Reda. My bad.

Also, when Kulata puts it below as $60 more for an italian mill, I'm starting to change my tune...

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Reda, are you sure? I thought they were no name brands for all of OTR from Rick.

@losrockets

02///M3

Reaction score

We still have time as production won't start for a couple of months. $560 USD doesn't sound bad, but still more than 80% of our sales are in Canada, and a $750 price point is really starting to creep up there. One of the driving factors for us to create really outstanding, affordable value in all products. You would be surprised at the price sensitivity in the market these days, especially in the middle ground where we operate.

That makes sense. You obviously have an infinitely better appreciation for the economics of all this, particularly as it relates to your customer base in Canada. At the end of the day, I have no doubt you guys will put out an excellent product and it's great that you've been seeking out your customer's opinions throughout the process.

All that said, I'm still crossing my fingers that you settle on side tabs and Italian fabrics!

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't skimp on the provenance of the fabric. A lot of people hear Asian and immediately tune out, so that additional $60 USD isn't enough to justify switching to Asian fabrics IMO.

Also, belt loops, just because that is the standard and pretty much most of your non-SF customers won't be accustomed to size asjusters. You have a business to run so stick with what works universally

Last edited:

Vasco

Reaction score
My apologies on the pricing. $750 in CAD sounds really competitive.

Burke

Reaction score

Also, belt loops, just because that is the standard and pretty much most of your non-SF customers won't be accustomed to size asjusters. You have a business to run so stick with what works universally

I also agree. Belt loops are much more universal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads