• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

News for you, "they" are. Even going incognito is not going to help you. RE. the Red Bull ad, they make a composite sketch of you based on your browsing history, geographic location, and a variety of other factors - the OS you are using, the browser you are using, etc... and serve ads that have the highest likelihood of success. Orbitz, for example, targets higher hotels and flights to Mac users than to PC users.

Ghostery + AdBlock Plus FTW.

I for one, welcome our new digital overlords.

Not me.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Firefox + NoScript + AdBlock Plus + Ghostery + No Squint (lets you increase text sizes on a per-site basis) = viewing bliss.

Still wish I could figure out how to get rid of the the whole review plus affiliate side bar.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Firefox + NoScript + AdBlock Plus + Ghostery + No Squint (lets you increase text sizes on a per-site basis) = viewing bliss.

Still wish I could figure out how to get rid of the the whole review plus affiliate side bar.

There was some guy who posted a user script in one of the new forum support threads (found it -- see below). It works great for me in Firefox and Chrome. Completely removes all the sidebars. On the rare occasions that I pull up SF in a different browser, I'm shocked at how it looks.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/260268/constructive-ideas-on-improving-the-forum/0_40#post_4745064

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

There was some guy who posted a user script in one of the new forum support threads (found it -- see below). It works great for me in Firefox and Chrome. Completely removes all the sidebars. On the rare occasions that I pull up SF in a different browser, I'm shocked at how it looks.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/260268/constructive-ideas-on-improving-the-forum/0_40#post_4745064

Hmm. Plugged it into Greasemonkey and its not doing anything.

// ==UserScript==
// @name StyleForum block right side everything
// @namespace styleforum.net/f/
// @include var allDivs, thisDiv;
// @include allDivs = document.evaluate(
// @include "//*[@id='sidebar']",
// @include document,
// @include null,
// @include XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
// @include null);
// @include for (var i = 0; i < allDivs.snapshotLength; i++) {
// @include thisDiv = allDivs.snapshotItem(i);
// @include // do something with thisDiv
// @include thisDiv.parentNode.removeChild(thisDiv);
// @include }
// @version 1
// ==/UserScript==

Have it set for included pages to styleforum.net and styleforum.net/f/

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm. Plugged it into Greasemonkey and its not doing anything.

// ==UserScript==
// @name StyleForum block right side everything
// @namespace styleforum.net/f/
// @include var allDivs, thisDiv;
// @include allDivs = document.evaluate(
// @include "//*[@id='sidebar']",
// @include document,
// @include null,
// @include XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
// @include null);
// @include for (var i = 0; i < allDivs.snapshotLength; i++) {
// @include thisDiv = allDivs.snapshotItem(i);
// @include // do something with thisDiv
// @include thisDiv.parentNode.removeChild(thisDiv);
// @include }
// @version 1
// ==/UserScript==

Have it set for included pages to styleforum.net and styleforum.net/f/

I wish I knew more about user scripts so I could tell you why it doesn't work for you, but I plugged that script verbatim into both FF/Greasemonkey and Chrome and it works perfectly in both. I don't see any sidebars at all. I don't know why you have "@include" prefixing every line of the script, but I presume you know more about that than I do.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I wish I knew more about user scripts so I could tell you why it doesn't work for you, but I plugged that script verbatim into both FF/Greasemonkey and Chrome and it works perfectly in both. I don't see any sidebars at all. I don't know why you have "@include" prefixing every line of the script, but I presume you know more about that than I do.

No, I don't know **** about Greasemonkey. When I plugged it in that's how it generated the output.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Motion to pin my "What's the deal with this guy in the bathroom?" and Public Transportation Etiquette threads.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good work with those although I don't check the bathroom one too often anymore, I do think of it when I see a tissue curtain on one of the stalls at work.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ghostery + AdBlock Plus FTW.
Not me.

I think that it is funny that Ghostery has a Facebook page and twitter feed :) If you don't want to be tracked, the only way is to go off the grid. Seriously. It's a new world out there.

Here are some easy test for you:

1) When you load UPS.com, are you prompted to enter your country. If not, your location is noted.
2) Google - Are the returns on your searchers in English?
3) Do websites load properly? Most need to know your OS in order to serve you up the right meal.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that is yes or a no.

Bruce Lee was Chinese, born in Hong Kong. Developed jeet kun do, the style of no style; of being not thinking; of direct and efficient strikes. No relation to Jet Li.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads