• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Chan

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coldcava
On the first pic, you'll see the button hole on the lapel has a small thread about an inch below it, which I think is meant to secure the stem of a boutineer??

Correct.

On the third picture, a small split in the top of the rear of the trousers, not sure the purpose of this, but the way it's done is very nice, and there's some attention to detail in the way it looks to be made.

A split waistband makes it much easier to alter the seat seam in the future, if you gain or lose weight and need to alter the waist measurement.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now just need to have it pressed, as the package was folded up and did not come out in ready to wear condition..

However, I snapped some shots of the construction details..

As I am new to this level of suit quality, there were some unexpected detailing that had me somewhat impressed. Many of you probably will see no novelty in any of this, but for me, I was pleased with the result and ready for more.

On the first pic, you'll see the button hole on the lapel has a small thread about an inch below it, which I think is meant to secure the stem of a boutineer??

On the second one, there's a small band of elastic gripper material which helps keep everything in place (I have had a suit with this before, but rarely seen it on others)

On the third picture, a small split in the top of the rear of the trousers, not sure the purpose of this, but the way it's done is very nice, and there's some attention to detail in the way it looks to be made.

On the last picture is the hemline on the cuff of the pants. Again, this one is a first for me, but they have an additional strip of fabric, which appears to be made to keep the heel of your shoe from damaging the cuff/pulling at it, as you walk.

Everything looks pretty good.. once it's pressed/unwrinkled I'll post again with it on for some fit critique.

I'd suggest using a steamer to get the wrinkles out rather than having it pressed. I've done that with all the garments I've gotten from Chan, and it has worked very satisfactorily. Just steam the wrinkles out and let it hang for a day or so and it should be good to go.

wmb

Reaction score
hang it in the bathroom with the shower running... the wrinkles will go pretty quickly...

Coldcava

Reaction score
After a couple of days on the hanger it seems that the wrinkles are dimished, so steamed a little and then took some pics. I give a lot of you credit who take self portraits, hard to set up shots and then take on a timer..

Anyhow, here goes? Thoughts on the fit? (also of the shirt - was an Ascot Chang I had made while in HK)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a couple of days on the hanger it seems that the wrinkles are dimished, so steamed a little and then took some pics. I give a lot of you credit who take self portraits, hard to set up shots and then take on a timer..

Anyhow, here goes? Thoughts on the fit? (also of the shirt - was an Ascot Chang I had made while in HK)

It's rather short, and the buttoning point seems insanely high. Maybe the camera angle is distorting things a bit though....

Coldcava

Reaction score
Some of it could be the camera angle.. the distance from the camera to me is maybe 6 feet and it is resting on a desk about a foot below my waist. T

he top button, as a reference point is maybe an inch above my navel.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

If you are standing as you normally do, and you stood normally at your measurement session and fittings (did you say three?), then:

A. Jacket

Buttoning point is rather high for my taste...it's hard to tell at that angle, though. Sleeve pitches are off, in the case of your right sleeve, way off. Your mid back is too tight under the blades, giving you the tell-tale diagonal folds.

B. Pants

The pants look like they have a major lateral balance problem, with folding and bagging going from the fork to the interior seams and to the back of the knee. The pants don't have a straight hang, which with a clean seat are the two minimal achievements that should be expected from bespoke pants.

It's great that you like the new-to-you detailing of the suit, since that is one of the many small pleasures of owning something made with more attention to detail than usual.

Don't let that rose up your spectacles, though, when it comes to paying attention to how it fits. I'm sorry, but if the photographs are representative, then you suit does not appear to me to fit well.

EricX

Reaction score
Had two suits ordered today, very excited. Also talk to the salesman who told me that they are going to raise the price after Chinese New Year.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EricX
Had two suits ordered today, very excited. Also talk to the salesman who told me that they are going to raise the price after Chinese New Year.

Wow, did they say how much?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif

dbc

Reaction score
And I was going to make my first trip in April too...

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

=IF(You=SFbigtimer,"no price increase","price increase")

EricX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Wow, did they say how much?

He didn't reveal the exact number, but 10% to 20% should not be surprising

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
& why would WW Chan be immune to annual price increase?
eh.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
& why would WW Chan be immune to annual price increase?
eh.gif

You and I and everyone else on this thread know that one of the big reasons why people go to WW Chan is because of the (low) price. A 10-20% per annum price increase that is not accompanied by any increase in quality, if continued at this rate, will hurt them more over the long run than it will help them. That said, some might say that the price is just catching up with the quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads