• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I keep a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suit?

velvel87

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I should keep a blue chalk stripe two button double breasted suit made by brooks brothers golden fleece. I bought it at a pretty good deal, $498 (no tax--NJ) off from $1298.

I have two issues: One, its a heavy wool so I would only be able to wear it for two seasons which is annoying. The second and more important issue is that its a 40R with a 34 inch waist and I am a 38-39R Jacket size with a 32' waist. I did a search in the store to see if any of the other stores had the suit in my size and no one does, so now I am trying to figure out if I really want to go through all the tailoring (i need to take it in all over) and maybe end up with an awkward looking suit.

What are your thoughts? And is Golden Fleece actually that good? I am leaning towards returning it, but it has become very hard to find a good suit for under $500 over the past few months so I'm not sure what I should do.

any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Golden Fleece is a great suit especially at that price. As long as the jacket is not too large in the shoulders the other alterations should not be too difficult.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not keep it If I were you.

Browse the B&S forum, you may find something in your size at a deep deep discount price.

Here is a Canali suit in your size (shamelessly promote my own stuff
tongue.gif
)
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=55411

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A great price on the suit; hence, a good reason to not mind it being a two season suit.

If the shoulders are correct on the jacket, then alterations to take it in can be done easily. Reducing the waist on the pants is an easy fix, too.

velvel87

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice! The shoulders a bit wide, but doable. Now i just have to figure out the winter suit part.

I once was about to buy a brioni black pinstripe suit single breasted 3 button with a double vent for $500 in century 21 department stores and balked on it for a different deal on a canali :-( In hindsight i should have bought both so i'm trying to figure out how sweet this deal actually is.

What do you think about the double breasted look in general? timeless? coming back? cant go wrong?

satorstyle

Reaction score
Timeless, they come in and out of fashion, but also can be worn by people who don't care about fashion.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I should keep a blue chalk stripe two button double breasted suit made by brooks brothers golden fleece. I bought it at a pretty good deal, $498 (no tax--NJ) off from $1298.

I have two issues: One, its a heavy wool so I would only be able to wear it for two seasons which is annoying. The second and more important issue is that its a 40R with a 34 inch waist and I am a 38-39R Jacket size with a 32' waist. I did a search in the store to see if any of the other stores had the suit in my size and no one does, so now I am trying to figure out if I really want to go through all the tailoring (i need to take it in all over) and maybe end up with an awkward looking suit.

What are your thoughts? And is Golden Fleece actually that good? I am leaning towards returning it, but it has become very hard to find a good suit for under $500 over the past few months so I'm not sure what I should do.

any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

As far as make goes, I love GF and I think it would be a great suit for you to enjoy over a longtime. But, if the fit isn't right don't keep it, you will just regret it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
you mean odd-ball college professors?
I would guess the number of profs who wear Golden Fleece is very small. They are generally a poorly dressed bunch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads