1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shoes for winter weather?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MitchConner, Dec 20, 2015.

1. MitchConner

MitchConner Member

Hi everybody.

I am originally from Miami, Florida but now live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I have been trying to figure out what shoes to wear in winter with either slacks and a dress shirt, or a suit (perhaps not the same shoe for those). I went to an AE store and see some have Dainite soles. I haven't a clue how much better those would be than leather soles in winter. Silly question - what do people wear in winter with, say, dress slacks and dress shirts (but not necessarily a suit), or alternatively with a suit?

I see there are "Commando" outsoles, and a bunch of others discussed online, but I'm honestly lost. I'm trying to avoid slipping and falling on snow or ice, as I have existing back and neck injuries, but I'd like to wear decent shoes during winter, as opposed to sneakers or hiking boots. I'm looking for shoes that will go with dress slacks and/or a suit, but that I won't go slipping too easily in during inclement winter weather.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Get galoshes or over soles and just wear them on your leather sole shoes when you go outdoors.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

I either wear my AE Long Branches with the commando sole, or a pair of LL Bean Boots and carry my shoes with me.

4. Bleedblue

Bleedblue Well-Known Member

Bean boots. I live in Boston and we get a lot of snow/ice (not as much as MN but still). Dress shoes can usually survive snow... But once it turns into icy slush with salt and chemicals, you will be ice skating in leather soles or even non treaded rubber soles. Bean boots will give you traction and save your good shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MitchConner

MitchConner Member

Thanks. I wasn't sure where I could try on LL Bean stuff locally, but I was near an AE store and liked the Long Branches, so I ordered a pair. They're my first AE shoes. I've read good things about AE and see they're liked on this board.

6. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member