• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe care supply checklist

Reaction score
Is it necessary to keep shoes in the trees after they have fully dried out (24-48 hours)?

I wouldn't think that shoes would form creases or lose their shape from just sitting there as long as they have already slowly dried with a shoe tree inside. :dunno:

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NerfArrowstorm
Is it necessary to keep shoes in the trees after they have fully dried out (24-48 hours)?

I wouldn't think that shoes would form creases or lose their shape from just sitting there as long as they have already slowly dried with a shoe tree inside. :dunno:

I've seen very old leather shoes that have folded up into something that looks like a jelly roll. Leaving shoes for a few days without a tree is probably fine, but over a long term, they're much better off in a tree.

JamesW

Reaction score
Just bought whole bunch of shoe creams, conditions and wax from Franco's. I live in Calgary, Alberta and good creams and conditioners are hard to come by. With the exchange rate and shipping the cost ended up quite a bit larger than I wanted to spend but I consoled myself by saying that these will probably last me a while.

Ron - thanks for your detailed post - I thought that I did a pretty decent job cleaning my shoe but after reading your post, I realized that I need to spend a little more time doing it.

A question though - does anyone know of a good cobbler in Calgary? I'm still kinda new in this city and any reference would be helpful. Thank you in advance

smile.gif

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Reaction score

ziggyosk

Reaction score
dude that guy takes a lighter to his shoes, I don't think I want to do that to my Lobbs. Can anyone translate whats on that french site?

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAO Canadians, Shoppers Drug Mart is now stocking Meltonian cream polish...

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my first pair Crocket and Jones in black calf. They are new and unpolished. What should I do to protect them? I have Allen Edmonds shoes polish (the one in the squeezable tubes) and Barker wax polish.

Trumpormonkey

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread (because it's fairly old) but I thought it'd be best to ask my question here.

I have a bottle of Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP and Black Kiwi Parade Gloss, my shoes (Redwing 9014D in Black) are new and only worn once but not outside, I have a cloth and a brush, etc.

What should I do to my shoes? (as in shoe care wise) and how should I do it?

I know it's a pretty newbie question but I'm fairly new to shoe care.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is sick of me touting this one, but I think this is just about the coolest shoe care kit yet; if you own fine shoes like edward green, crockett & jones, Lobb, etc. this would make a great gift (or gift from yourself to yourself, as I plan to do as soon as the wife moves into our new place in VA....a heavy package will be waiting for pickup)

wooden shoe kit with Saphir polishes and brushes, $175 plus shipping

http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=56368

Badass, and will make me happy on saturdays when I crack it open to do the shoe shinin.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read this thread in the past and have since recently ordered a bunch of stuff from Safir. I can't recommend them highly enough. Amazing products, they smell better than all the others out there and I agree with what others have commented, that a little goes a long way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads