• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe care supply checklist

ViND

Reaction score
Being new to this shoe care process, I have some beginner questions that are probably ridiculous!

First, should I remove the shoe laces before starting the whole process? It seems like I would want to avoid getting stuff on them and work on the tongue of the shoe.

Also, Rider's recommendations seem more exhaustive than other resources I've read. Would people recommend it for every time I polish, or just once in a while?

Finally, any common pitfalls for the newbie?!

Thanks to everyone! This thread has been extremely helpful.

lomomagix

Reaction score
After browsing the internet for several months for tips on the shoe care process, I finally found one that is actually helpful! Detailed and exhaustive, yes, but worth every word that you read! Rider's post is probably the most useful 3-year old post in any forum, of any topic, in the whole WWW. It was so nice that it actually prompted me to step out of being just a lurker! Thanks to this forum!

Now, my question: if I have several different shades of brown creams (all dark, but slightly different from each other), how necessary is it to have a separate shoe brush for each one of them? Not that the prices of shoe brushes are very prohibitive, it's the space they will occupy that is my concern.

lomomagix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
I have some questions for all the pros.....

1. what do you shine your shoes on? I've been laying down some newspaper on the kitchen counter and it's a real pain. my shoes flop all over the place, especially when I buff them at the end. I have to hang the toe off the edge of the counter and have someone else hold them down.

2. Do you use shine boxes? if so how do they work, can I use them by myself and not have a problem? by looking at pictures of them it doesn't seem like they will stay on the pedistal if I go to buff them.

3. and do you leave your trees in your shoes when shining?

How about that Grip-N-Shine contraption from shoeshinekit.com? Or even the Shine Butler? Anybody with experience using those? Are they really helpful?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is Lincoln polish?

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
PSA: STP has some cedar shoe trees on sale. They're seconds but I think they'll do the job for most entry-level SFers like myself. I picked up six pairs for 11.44 each (had an additional 25% discount).

Just use the STP jump page and search for Woodlore Cedar Shoe Trees.

Bob01

Reaction score
My first good shoes are comming my way (Edward Green, Allen Edmonds, Ferragamo) in Wine, Black and brownish-red

I should be set for polishing with the following items?:

- Meltonian Conditioner (Was originally thinking Lexol, but there seem to be more than a few horror stories of it darkening much more than expected on this forum)

- Meltonian Creame - Black, Mahogony, Neutral, Brown - General rule, use a lighter cream than the shoe, unless I want to darken it?

- Kiwi Polish - Black and Brown would be enough?

- Sole/Heel Dressing - brown

- Some old T-shirts

- Horse Hair brushes when I find them at a good price, but not extremly needed? One for Black, One for the brown, Mahogany/Brown, Neutral?

Any items that need to be added (already have shoe trees comming :))? Any items that can be ommited? If I have a conditioner, can I ommit the creams?

Thanks,

Bob

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I get as many, if not more, questions and requests concerning Saphir products, I have decided to creat another blog dedicated to this. I will be working on it over the next couple of weeks, as a large supply of Saphir (including new items) is due here any time.

Franco's website will still be the ordering source, but I will keep each item catagorized, updated and have good color pictures of each individual item on the blog, as well as a simple link for ordering. This way repeated questions can be added for all to see and there will not be the confusion that can sometimes occur with Franco's site regarding colors, etc.

Hopefully, you can use the blog for all info and simply click over to order.

http://saphirmdo.wordpress.com/

Thanks, and please be patient while I get this set up...as many of you know, I am not the best at the blog thing, but I am getting there
smile.gif

Ron

Cedarville Store

Reaction score
Cedarville Store has some exciting coupon code offers for Style Forum members!

styleforum15 - Introductory offer 15% OFF total order through 1/31/09

styleforum - will take 10% off total order
cvsclub55 - will take $5.00 off Epic Cedar Shoe Trees (only $19.99/pr)
cvsclub44 - will take $4.00 off Washburn Cedar Shoe trees ($27.99/pr)
cvsclub22 - will take $2.00 off Classic Cedar Suit Hanger
freeship - Free Shipping on orders over $75.00

Only one coupon code can be used at a time. Please let us know if you would like to see special offers on other Cedarville Store products.

Cedarville Store sells only first quality cedar products. We do not deal in discounted merchandise due to flaws, mismatches, knots, whitewood or inferior quality.

Thank you!
Rodney
www.CedarvilleStore.com

BBdude

Reaction score
Quick and easy question.

Where can I get a good edge dressing?

How can I discern whether I should be using wax/cream on my shoes?

Thanks!

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Threads like this remind me of why StyleForum is so f***ing fantastic. Thanks to all who have contributed so meaningfully to this thread. I have learned a ton.

+1. I actually went out and purchased all these materials last weekend and had a shine-a-thon. It was very oddly satisfying. Salvation Army is also going to see a pretty decent incoming stock of overpriced, average quality footwear with a nice shine.
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
Quick and easy question.

Where can I get a good edge dressing?

How can I discern whether I should be using wax/cream on my shoes?

Thanks!

Allen-Edmonds sells edge dressing online.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Allen-Edmonds sells edge dressing online.

Thanks! Trying to get Black and Brown now, but the AE website is the worst website known to man.

shoesies

Reaction score
I use AE shoe polish in the squeeze tube, a large horsehair brush, small hard bristle brush, soft cloths (one is microfiber type) to polish my shoes. The AE polish is great at covering scratches and returning the color to a shoe, or as you can see exemplifying the leather shades below.

I use AE cognac and a grocery store black polish to give them a great finish - you can only see the brown in direct sunlight, otherwise they look black, but it's sort of my little secret and it's nice when I receive compliments on the color of them

mickeymickey

Reaction score
For those of you who use Obenauf's LP, do you really use a hair dryer on it like the directions say? I'm a little uneasy about blowing hot air on my leather. Is this a necessary step or is there something else I can do?

Cedarville Store

Reaction score
Everything you need for shoe care.....Cedarville Store!

Hi Everyone,

Cedarville Store has some exciting coupon code offers for Style Forum members!

styleforum15 - Introductory offer 15% OFF total order through 1/31/09

styleforum - will take 10% off total order
cvsclub55 - will take $5.00 off Epic Cedar Shoe Trees (only $19.99/pr)
cvsclub44 - will take $4.00 off Washburn Cedar Shoe trees ($27.99/pr)
cvsclub22 - will take $2.00 off Classic Cedar Suit Hanger
freeship - Free Shipping on orders over $75.00

Only one coupon code can be used at a time. Please let us know if you would like to see special offers on other Cedarville Store products.

Cedarville Store sells only first quality cedar products. We do not deal in discounted merchandise due to flaws, mismatches, knots, whitewood or inferior quality.

Thank you!
Rodney
www.CedarvilleStore.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads