• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a little more Appreciation:

Navy/Red

Black/White

Last edited:

jammyo40

Reaction score
You could probably request a shell cordovan wallet from any high end leather goods or shoe maker. The only issues would be price and whether or not they'd even be willing to work with SC in the first place. I've seen pictures of a Whitehouse Cox SC wallet on these forums (and boy was it beautiful).

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Palmer Trading Co:

currently listed on GIlt

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You could probably request a shell cordovan wallet from any high end leather goods or shoe maker. The only issues would be price and whether or not they'd even be willing to work with SC in the first place. I've seen pictures of a Whitehouse Cox SC wallet on these forums (and boy was it beautiful).
this is true. If the BB wallets dont come through, ill look into it. edit - Whitehouse Cox Shell Cordovan Wallet:
link to OG post

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makr has some as well as a bunch of other Hoween stuff (both CXL and shell)

Corter Leather does a little, you could probably custom order one

jammyo40

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that not all shells are created equal.

I tested the Japanese Shell also (old post about it...with pics, I think) and it was pretty good, but not as good as Horween. The test I ran involved cupping one shell from each, placing in a shoe box with water in the cup of the shells. After a couple of days, the Japanese shell leaked thru, while Horween's never did. Also, the Japanese spotted while Horween's just rolled off and looked as good as new.

But, the main difference is the supply of raw material, not the process of the tanneries so much. There is just a small supply out there, and they both know who has it.....Horween was able to secure this, more or less. I spoke with the Italian agent for the Japanese tannery last month and there is virtually no supply there from them.....I guess they have some in Japan, but nothing is around Italy on speculation for production, as they just can't supply anything consistent to a shoe factory. For me, Horween is the one.....no doubt.

One of our private label accounts detailed Shell Cordovan from us for next season's collection, and they referred us to an Italian tannery doing Shell Cordovan. We figured it was bs, and sure enough it was. Was basically calf tanned like Shell. VERY good imitation, and apparently quite a few Italian manufacturers are using this and calling it shell - saw one finished sample from a well known brand and it was hard to tell, except I was able to find a small vein in one area....genuine SC cannot have a vein. When we received the leather from the tannery, it was calf.

Bottom line is that Horween is far and away the best producer of Shell Cordovan....no suitable substitute IMO. There is an increased interest in this material, however, and the tanneries have reacted by coming up with a very good imitation (the calf version really is nice) which will be on the market next season from numerous brands. It's just not Genuine Shell Cordovan.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ Excellent 3rd post sir.
Are the wallets still on BB after reappearing this morning? I can't find them but my connection sucks right now.

They disappeared from the website this afternoon. Good chance they were never available to begin with. Perhaps just an inventory glitch

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also, keep in mind that not all shells are created equal.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. When are you going to need a shell wallet to withstand water for a few days? Ron's test might be relevant for shoes, but probably not for wallets (or many other leather goods).

I've handled Japanese shell, but I'm not sure if it's from the same tannery that Ron got his from. It's thinner, which means it's more pliable. It also feels a bit softer. Since it's from a different tannery, the color is also a bit different than the stuff that comes out of Chicago. These things - pliability, softness, color - are matters of personal preference, not inherent defects. I have wallets in both Horween and Japanese shell, and enjoy them both.

FWIW, Chester Mox will make any of their designs out of Horween shell. A small family with extensive leather working experience runs the company and they make everything by hand in Los Angeles. The quality is very high.

Last edited:

jammyo40

Reaction score

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. When are you going to need a shell wallet to withstand water for a few days? Ron's test might be relevant for shoes, but probably not for wallets (or many other leather goods).

You have a point. But the way I see it: if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing :D

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You have a point. But the way I see it: if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing :D

The trade off, however, is that you have a much thicker and less pliable leather. Your wallet might hold water for a few days, but depending on the design, it might not be as thin.

In any case, it's a moot point since it's nearly impossible to get a wallet made from Japanese shell cordovan anymore.

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've handled Japanese shell, but I'm not sure if it's from the same tannery that Ron got his from. It's thinner, which means it's more pliable. It also feels a bit softer. Since it's from a different tannery, the color is also a bit different than the stuff that comes out of Chicago. These things - pliability, softness, color - are matters of personal preference, not inherent defects. I have wallets in both Horween and Japanese shell, and enjoy them both.
FWIW, Chester Mox will make any of their designs out of Horween shell. A small family with extensive leather working experience runs the company and they make everything by hand in Los Angeles. The quality is very high.

Nice looking products at a decent price. Do you own one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads