• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collars on Tailcoats?

Saigonesque

Reaction score
I was looking at the US Air Force uniform requirements, and they mention that their tail coats are required(!!!) to have shawl collars. Is there any precedent to this, or are these people just insane?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it was used before, just a variation to the traditional double breasted lapel on tailcoats.

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
Tailcoats are stunning. Not sure why I adore tailcoats. But you could always wear the Evening Cape if the shawl collar isn't working for you. The evening cape is a black sleeveless garment of all-wool gabardine, barathea, elastique, broadcloth, or beaver. The cape lining is ultramarine blue. It is for wear with either mess dress or formal evening dress uniforms, and is worn with the black dress cap and white dress gloves. Length will be no longer than 2" below the knee.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the evening cape is merely an alternative to a topcoat, the dogmatic white tie still needs the tailcoat. Further, some tailcoats are quilted lined so it should be warm enough for night time.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this what you are talking about? I do not think the jacke have actual tail, more like a "bolero" dinner jacket or whatever is called

Moloch38

Reaction score
Oh man tell me you're not a new airman trying to change/challenge military uniform regs. If you're a civvie I would ignore and move on. Military has crazy uniform rules governing everything. Save yourself a beat down by a Command Sergeant Major or senior NCO and leave it alone.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

is this what you are talking about? I do not think the jacke have actual tail, more like a "bolero" dinner jacket or whatever is called

Never seen US or UK military in tails. Both traditionally use jackets as shown here for formal occasions - something like a tail coat with the tails removed, known in the UK as mess kit and I've seen them called Spenser jackets. Looks good to me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads