• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+2 on bigger rosters - just so we have do dig a little deeper in the draft. Especially with so few team drafting mixed leagues. Again, the standard fantasy roster of 23 that I posted earlier is a straightforward way to structure it. I think most Fantasy magazines use that as the default for valuing players.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OK, I went with the 23 man roster, but kept the pitching seperated at 5 SP, 3 RP, and 1 P instead of making it just 9 P so that you HAVE to pick at least 5 starters.

Its more like a real pitching rotation that way, and it discourages the "all closer" problem that some of you seem to be so concerned about.

I also changed our draft to "online manual" and set the date and time (which I can change if its a problem for a lot of people) to 9:30am PST on March 24th.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
OK, I went with the 23 man roster, but kept the pitching seperated at 5 SP, 3 RP, and 1 P instead of making it just 9 P so that you HAVE to pick at least 5 starters.

Its more like a real pitching rotation that way, and it discourages the "all closer" problem that some of you seem to be so concerned about.

Perfect!! Let the games begin!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Generic *****, generic *****. Fix it!

noted

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm gonna love this league. We should also set up a way to paly for cash. I'm in for $100 or $50 is that's more realistic for the group.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
All I really have to say is that with this many players and bench spots, the first person who decides to "take their time" during the live draft will incur my wrath. I mean, we are going like 28 rounds here. I could probably do $50. It would really be pushing it... but I could do it. WE NEED AT LEAST TWO MORE TEAMS!!! I will have J pick names out of a hat for draft order as soon as the league fills up. Just as a note: I'm probably going to set a "joining" deadline of Friday the 16th. If you aren't in the league by then, you are S.O.L. and I'll start filling up the league with vagabonds and hobos.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All I really have to say is that with this many players and bench spots, the first person who decides to "take their time" during the live draft will incur my wrath.

I mean, we are going like 28 rounds here.

We need a clock. Wait until people start drafting guys who went seven rounds earlier. "Is Manny Ramirez still available?"

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
We need a clock. Wait until people srart drafting guys who went seven rounds earlier. "Is Manny Ramirez still available?"
Shouldn't happen with yahoo live draft, I think the players get taken off the board as they are picked. I think there is a 90 second timer per pick too... but if everyone takes 3 minutes, a 12 person 28 round draft will take 16.8 hours. I'm REALLY not down with that. COME PREPARED OR DON'T SHOW UP AT ALL!!!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just drafted my first league this morning eighth out of ten players.

C: Kenji Johjima
1B: Justin Morneau
2B: Robinson Cano
SS: Bill Hall
3B: Ryan Zimmermann
OF: Vladamir Guerrero, Corey Patterson, Torii Hunter
Util: Tadahito Iguchi

Bench: Gary Matthews Jr., Orlando Cabrera, Hank Blalock

Pitchers: Daisuke Matsuzaka, Roy Oswalt, Brett Meyers, Curt Schilling, Jonathan Papelbon, Bronson Arroyo, Akinori Otsuka, and Kei Igawa.

It just so happened that I ended up with half of Boston's pitching staff. I don't know exactly why that is... but whatever. It's a good starting rotation so I'm not complaining too much.

I know I'm light on relievers, and I don't really have a closer... but Papelbon is listed as an RP on ESPN, so even if he starts, I still get credit for his numbers under my relief category. Plus, he might still be the closer... nobody really knows yet.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
23 starters? bleh.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
23 starters? bleh.
I know... but several people think that sitting around and drafting nobodys for an hour is more fun. I can roll... but I guess we are in the minority here Bill.

Buster

Reaction score
Shouldn't happen with yahoo live draft, I think the players get taken off the board as they are picked. I think there is a 90 second timer per pick too... but if everyone takes 3 minutes, a 12 person 28 round draft will take 16.8 hours. I'm REALLY not down with that.

COME PREPARED OR DON'T SHOW UP AT ALL!!!

Have we set a date already for that?
In terms of cash - I will have a hard time justifying anything beyond $25 (am I the only one with kids among the participants
smile.gif
)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They aren't starters because this isn't a h2h format - it's a roster. I guess that's just semantics but whatever. I'm only biased for that because it's what I'm used to. I'll do whatever the group wants in the end.

Maybe I'm having math problems but I get 8.4 hours is everyone takes 90 seconds.

I've been reading the Baseball Prospectus book, so I'm ready to roll. I'll play for money - whatever you guys feel comfortable with.

gehrig

Reaction score
This roster breakdown is cool but can you ditch the second catcher? I don't see any upside in getting deep into that position since it barely has any talent through 12 anyway. Also the idea of a DH-only UTIL is a little bizarre - any batter should be eligible there.

Anyone interested in making three of the OF positions LF CF and RF? It would be more true-to-life as the defensive demands of each outfield position vary greatly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads