• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or we could all congregate on SF chat at an agreed upon time to discuss rules etc.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes - conference call or chat room to get the rules straight.

Also, I'm doing my regular league draft the weekend before the season starts (March 30 - April 1). We all gather do an auction in person and we're meeting in SF this year, so I can't do this draft that weekend. I think we should try to shoot for the previous weekend if possible. The rosters aren't totally set, but with a 12 team mixed league, we aren't digging super deep into the depth charts anyways.

I just registered: Sons of Steve Garvey.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll take a stab at the rules, rosters etc. and you guys can weigh in...

5x5 League, 12 Teams

Players for both leagues are eligible.
Pitchers hitting stats do not count
Trades can be challenged by league members within 48 hours of being announced and will be subject to the majority rule vote
Pitchers must throw a combined 225 Innings or you will not qualify for points in WHIP and ERA categories
Draft order determined by lottery (somehow)
Draft Day: Saturday, March 24th or Sunday, March 25th

Offensive Scoring Categories:
HR
RBI
Steals
Avg
Runs Scored

Pitching Scoring Categories:
Wins minus losses
Saves
ERA
WHIP
K/9 innings

Top team gets 12 points in a category, bottom team gets 1 point

Team Composition:

Starters 28 Players

C (2)
1B (2)
2B (2)
SS (2)
3B (2)
MI (1)
CI (1)
OF (6)
SP (6)
RP (4)

Taxi Squad 20 Players

C (1)
1B (1)
2B (1)
3B (1)
MI (1)
CI (1)
OF (4)
SP (3)
RP (3)
Any Pitcher (2)
Any Player (2)

How does this sound to start??

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
What's a taxi squad-the keepers? Personally I would prefer 2x SP, 2x RP, 6x P. Otherwise, I think the beefed up lineup is a good way to add depth to a small both-leagues league, so I'll back that.

I'm still in for money, if we can pull it off. Doesn't have to be $100--$50 still gives a nice paypal gift certificate to the top 3.

Oh, guess I should go sign up. Team name will be the mayan pots.

Edit: I'm also cool with the H2H, which is what I've been doing with my college friends for the past several years, but have a sneaking suspicion that roto scoring would keep people more involved through the season.

Anyone want to split a mlb.tv subscription? Maybe another euro-dweller?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is big for me but I'd rather keep hitting starters to 9 including a utility player, and pitching as follows: 3SP 2CP, 3P. By having so many starters you take the element of day-to-day team management out of the equation.

Everything else seems great andrew.

bryce330

Reaction score
I agree with the idea of limiting starters to 9.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with head to head style at all - I've always played Roto scoring. Not even sure how h2h works. how often do you change opponents? isn't that an awful lot of roster management?

surf animal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm not familiar with head to head style at all - I've always played Roto scoring. Not even sure how h2h works. how often do you change opponents? isn't that an awful lot of roster management?
The roster management really isn't such a hard thing once you get into the habit of it. So long as you keep up with whats going on in baseball & who's injured, you've got nothing to worry about.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
This is big for me but I'd rather keep hitting starters to 9 including a utility player, and pitching as follows: 3SP 2CP, 3P. By having so many starters you take the element of day-to-day team management out of the equation.

My only issue with 9 starters is that you have teams of all superstars. The bigger roster forces rewards the deep picks in the draft. Just my $.02.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by surf animal
The roster management really isn't such a hard thing once you get into the habit of it. So long as you keep up with whats going on in baseball & who's injured, you've got nothing to worry about.

It's not that I don't keep up with baseball - I waste way to much time with my other league. I've only played standard OG fantasy baseball - 23 team roster, 14 hitters, 9 pitchers, 4 x 4, roto point scoring. Are all you guys head to head guys? That seems more like fantasy football to me. I strongly urge you guys to consider playing the original style.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
It's not that I don't keep up with baseball - I waste way to much time with my other league. I've only played standard OG fantasy baseball - 23 team roster, 14 hitters, 9 pitchers, 4 x 4, roto point scoring. Are all you guys head to head guys? That seems more like fantasy football to me. I strongly urge you guys to consider playing the original style.

+1
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Reaction score
I agree with rotisserie being best for fantasy baseball after playing leagues both ways. Head to head makes much more sense for football with a 16 week schedule.

bryce330

Reaction score
Rotisserie is fine with me.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just let me know as soon as you kids decide on rules.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just signed up...The Berluti Bombers and I'm going to knock your socks off!!!

You guys need more Styleforumesque names.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads