• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that building is in Winnipeg. It's quite nice for an infill condo too.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Here's the painting close up. If anyone can tell me anything about it, that would be cool

Can't understand too much of it, but its basically saying (from left to right):

[...] two birds telling good news to two masters
[...] it's peace time
Created on mid fall (luner calendar 8/15th) at xxx's study place.

Seems like a piece of work by some traveling/visiting artist/scholar dedicated to the people who gave him room/board

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that if I lived in Winnipeg I would want a house and not a condo. I'd feel very secluded and would need a real home theater and a wine cellar to help me drain my sorrows. Otherwise, think The Shining.
laugh.gif

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think that if I lived in Winnipeg I would want a house and not a condo. I'd feel very secluded and would need a real home theater and a wine cellar to help me drain my sorrows. Otherwise, think The Shining.
laugh.gif

[narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost] I promised myself I would not respond to any Winnipeg bashing (and I am surprised it took this long to come out, to tell the truth..
smile.gif
)

However, the 16 foot walls provide a very nice screen for a projector, and accommodating neighbours allow for volume at ungodly levels. Home theatre enough for me.

As for the wine cellar ... well, I need to drink SO much to bear Winnipeg, I have no reason to store the stuff!!

PS: I grew up in Vancouver, and lived several years in Downtown TO... I am fully aware of what I am getting myself into in Winnipeg... [/narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost]

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aragon765
[narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost] I promised myself I would not respond to any Winnipeg bashing (and I am surprised it took this long to come out, to tell the truth..
smile.gif
)

However, the 16 foot walls provide a very nice screen for a projector, and accommodating neighbours allow for volume at ungodly levels. Home theatre enough for me.

As for the wine cellar ... well, I need to drink SO much to bear Winnipeg, I have no reason to store the stuff!!

PS: I grew up in Vancouver, and lived several years in Downtown TO... I am fully aware of what I am getting myself into in Winnipeg... [/narrowmindedcanadianperspectivepost]

haha sorry. Winnipeg is an easy target, sort of like small towns in the US.
lol8[1].gif

I actually went easy on you. My uncle lives in Calgary and you should hear what HE thinks of Winnipeg.
tounge.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are still renting so there is a transient feel to our home right now, even after 2 years there. we'll be moving this ear, so hopefully we can then start making the house a home.

Our place is a classic suburban family home. Four bedrooms with a mixture of carpets and polished floorboards. Huge open-space kitchen/family and living areas. Single garage.

Storage room is, not to put too fine a point on it, crap. There simply is not enough for four adults' clutter. We only have one small car, but can't even fit that into the garage. (The house was owned by a family with small children, who tend to need less room).

The biggest hassle is the lack of control. We can't decorate the way we'd like to, can't furnish the place as we'd like (no point) and can't take liberties with the garden. We have been living like this for 6 years, so our own home will feel great when we get there.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
We are still renting so there is a transient feel to our home right now, even after 2 years there. we'll be moving this ear, so hopefully we can then start making the house a home.

Our place is a classic suburban family home. Four bedrooms with a mixture of carpets and polished floorboards. Huge open-space kitchen/family and living areas. Single garage.

Storage room is, not to put too fine a point on it, crap. There simply is not enough for four adults' clutter. We only have one small car, but can't even fit that into the garage. (The house was owned by a family with small children, who tend to need less room).

The biggest hassle is the lack of control. We can't decorate the way we'd like to, can't furnish the place as we'd like (no point) and can't take liberties with the garden. We have been living like this for 6 years, so our own home will feel great when we get there.

I don't understand people with lots of clutter. Every time I do a big clean-up, I throw-out a bit more stuff from my past. I don't see the point in keeping stuff that i hide in boxes and never look at.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has to do with transience. There is no point, for example, unpacking all my books and sticking them on shelves, because I would then have to fork out for temporary shelving. Rather than invest in furniture for someone else's house, I prefer to buy my own place and then pick furniture that will suit it.

With two uni students (one of whom also runs a business), a teacher and a professional in the house, a certain amount of clutter is unavoidable anyway.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing about the fake grass initially but my wife is a landscape architect and the patio has won a couple of small design awards for use of 'small urban spaces outside' ... so I figure I got no grounds to fight that...
boxing[1].gif

It looks like you have fake-wood floors or is it a photography?

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
haha sorry. Winnipeg is an easy target, sort of like small towns in the US.
lol8[1].gif

I actually went easy on you. My uncle lives in Calgary and you should hear what HE thinks of Winnipeg.
tounge.gif

No worries.. I have only lived here for 1.5 years but find the self-deprecation in this town incredible... add to it the opinion of outsiders, and I immediately get on the defensive. I actually quite enjoy the place!!
blush.gif

I have a brother in Calgary as well, I am sure I have heard it all by now...
musicboohoo[1].gif

Originally Posted by dkzzzz
It looks like you have fake-wood floors or is it a photography?

Do you mean inside or out?

Inside, the floor is a laminate and all the 'accent' wood is baltic birch, outside is some pressure-treated wonder wood (ie pine...
tounge.gif
)

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries.. I have only lived here for 1.5 years but find the self-deprecation in this town incredible... add to it the opinion of outsiders, and I immediately get on the defensive. I actually quite enjoy the place!!
blush.gif

musicboohoo[1].gif

Inside, the floor is a laminate and all the 'accent' wood is baltic birch, outside is some pressure-treated wonder wood (ie pine...
tounge.gif
)

Inside of course. If it looks fake on pictures imagine how it looks in RL. It needs to be all torn-up and replaced with a real thing. Please ,do it for your childrenz.
smile.gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
Some very nice dwellings. I'm only two years out of college and living on my own far from family, but I enjoy the freedom. I'll get there.
smile.gif

Very nice, where is this at?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
blush.gif

musicboohoo[1].gif

tounge.gif
)

my mother grew up there, and my brother moved their for university and stayed. they love it. I think that it seems like a very livable place. certainly the cost of living is much cheaper than places I have lived.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads