• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Septieme Largeur footwear - Discussion Thread

azumi

Reaction score
I've received my very first SL, and here are some of my superficial comments on it.
I see some guys here said that they chose about half a size larger than usual and the last of the shoes I intended to buy is 174, which is sleeker than last 198, Thus, I decided to choose size 8UK (which is 0.5 size bigger than my usual size) and I realize that I made a mistake, the shoes runs true to size (at least for me, because I have about more than 10 pair of shoes and all of them are size 7.5UK, fit F) and it is roomy a little bit.
I have no intention to make any comparison in term of leather quality between SL and other brands like C&J, AS...because I don't own any of C&J or AS so far, but I think my SL shoes is as good as my Magnanni, To Boot New York shoes, but lesser in leather quality than my Antonio Maurizi and a.Testoni. As somebody pointed out, its quality is quite stiff, I think it need to be applied some leather conditioner before I wear it.
Generally, I'm satisfied with this shoes at this price and I think I will get another one with my own patina (but in season sales), there is only one point that make me frustrated a little bit is a defect on the velvet part,it is faded like scratched at some small areas, as in this picture:

Here are some other pictures:

Today, I'm wearing this shoes and after walking about 10minutes in total, I think it's quite good, I applied some conditioner and polish last night, so the shoes doesn't hurt my feet, but upper leather still is stiff a little bit, not as soft as Magnanni shoes, which I usually wear to work. And I have to spend more time to put my feet into this laced boots. It's not comfortable when driving either.
Sorry for my terrible English.

Last edited:

erikiksaz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a question about sizing. I am looking to purchase my first pair of SLs and my only experience with nicer dress shoes is with ferragamos. By chance have any of you worn both,and if so, how do the sizes differ?

So, what size do you guys typically wear in US sizes, and what size did you go with in SLs and how do they fit?

I am a pretty solid 7.5US, with 8 being way too large. In terms of actual cm measurements of my foot, SLs measurement guide pegs me at 6.5UK.

Thanks!

Last edited:

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a question about sizing. I am looking to purchase my first pair of SLs and my only experience with nicer dress shoes is with ferragamos. By chance have any of you worn both,and if so, how do the sizes differ?

So, what size do you guys typically wear in US sizes, and what size did you go with in SLs and how do they fit?

I am a pretty solid 7.5US, with 8 being way too large. In terms of actual cm measurements of my foot, SLs measurement guide pegs me at 6.5UK.

Thanks!

I find SL sizing a bit tricky. I wear a 8.5 UK in their 178 last, but need a 9 UK in their 198 last - both boots. I visited the store in Paris and they thought I should be wearing a 8.5 UK in the Gedeon (199 last), but I was much more comfortable with the 9 UK. Most of my dress shoes are a 9.5 US. If you are a 7.5 US, then I would recommend ordering the 7 UK for the 198 or 199 last and possibly size down to a 6.5 UK for the 178 last.

I hope this works out for you and I did not lead you astray.

erikiksaz

Reaction score
It looks like the rennan's are last 205, which is not as slim as the lasts that you had mentioned, right? (I am still learning about all this, so forgive my ignorance).

So for a not as slim last, you think 6.5UK?

Thanks!

Last edited:

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like the rennan's are last 205, which is not as slim as the lasts that you had mentioned, right? (I am still learning about all this, so forgive my ignorance).

So for a not as slim last, you think 6.5UK?

Thanks!

6.5 UK is probably your best bet. My comment was that I actually had to size up when I bought the rounder last (174 = 8.5UK,198 = 9UK), but given you are going with the 205, I think 6.5UK is safe. Let us know when you receive them and if the fit was correct. Good luck.

dron

Reaction score
wow, I'm glad I didn't read the last few posts before ordering. would have gotten all too nervous about getting it right.
I jus got a pair of moissac boots in 7UK as that's what I normally wear(very limited collection) and they fit spot on. in need of quite a bit of breaking in tho.

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, I'm glad I didn't read the last few posts before ordering. would have gotten all too nervous about getting it right.
I jus got a pair of moissac boots in 7UK as that's what I normally wear(very limited collection) and they fit spot on. in need of quite a bit of breaking in tho.

how was the ordering process & fulfillment time ? they have a boot i'm interested in.

erikiksaz

Reaction score
Dron, out of curiosity, what sizes do you wear in other brands?

And also, do you have your toe to heel length by chance?

Thanks

Last edited:

dron

Reaction score

how was the ordering process & fulfillment time ? they have a boot i'm interested in.

they took 2-3 days to pack and ship the boots and I had to ask to get a tracking number. other than that no problems and they were quite quick with the emails too.

dron

Reaction score

Dron, out of curiosity, what sizes do you wear in other brands?

And also, do you have your toe to heel length by chance?

Thanks

grenson 7uk
ps/red ear moto boots 7uk
mentor 41eu
varvatos 8us

just stepped on a ruler, a bit more than 26cm

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just arrived: jodphur boots

erikiksaz

Reaction score
I just received my rennan double monkstraps in the raw calf. I ordered them in raw calf because I needed to ensure that they fit my foot before having the custom patina work performed.

Quality wise they remind me of aldens, at least where you can see the edge of the welt near the top of the arch. The leather is very supple, way better than the embarrassingly crappy Kenneth Coles I have on my feet now. As for the buckle holders, everything is made out of leather. There was one manufacturer that used elastic bands (which were hidden when the straps were tied), which I did like due to ease of tightening, but SL went the oldschool method and stuck with just leather.

I typically wear size 7 or 7.5 in US sizes, but I ordered the 6.5UK and everything fits beautifully. I don't for see any issues with going 6.5 again with their sleeker lasts.

*Well, just spoke to Victor from SL and he mentioned that if I get anything with a last of 199, I should size up to 7UK instead. Considering the 6.5s don't feel too tight, do you guys think I should?

Not the sleekest last (which is unfortunate), but I'll be happy so long as the custom patina resembles this:

Last edited:

azumi

Reaction score
Having tried the shoes for fitting, you'll have to return your monk shoes to SL for doing patina, won't you?
I intend to buy a raw derby of SL for patina as well, so when you have yours finished, please post some pics :)
Although I don't have any 199, (I just have 174, 198 and 206) I personally think you don't need to size up. Normally I wear 8D US and my boot 7.5UK in 198 fit me well, a derby 7UK in 206 is tight a little bit and a pair of boot 8UK in 174 (which is slimmest I think so) is loose a little that I have to put an insole inside my boot.

erikiksaz

Reaction score
Having tried the shoes for fitting, you'll have to return your monk shoes to SL for doing patina, won't you?
I intend to buy a raw derby of SL for patina as well, so when you have yours finished, please post some pics :)
Although I don't have any 199, (I just have 174, 198 and 206) I personally think you don't need to size up. Normally I wear 8D US and my boot 7.5UK in 198 fit me well, a derby 7UK in 206 is tight a little bit and a pair of boot 8UK in 174 (which is slimmest I think so) is loose a little that I have to put an insole inside my boot.

Sent back the day after they were received
biggrin.gif

One thing I neglected to ask (although I don't think they would allow), was to send ONE raw monkstrap in 6.5UK, and ONE of theraw oxfords to me in 7.0UK, so that I could kill two birds with one stone in terms of sizing. But, that's probably a pretty rude request, hah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads