• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It seemed like only yesterday we had a mountain of linen-y items to cut and make and photograph ... but now suddenly we're down to the final handful (with just the popover with short sleeves to go).

Here's the shirt with button-down collar in linen poplin. We've reverted to the "that's pretty darn heavy for a shirt" linen after a brief foray into lighter realms last year. This cloth has the benefit of having a really rather heavy drape and (for linen) a good amount of crease resistance. Plus it ages really nicely, and if washed with care accruing really nice worn-in fading.

shirt-bd-collar-linen-buckwheat-8s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-buckwheat-3s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-lead-grey-6s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-buckwheat-7s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-black-2s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-buckwheat-2s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-black-3s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-lead-grey-2s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-lead-grey-4s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-black-9s@2x.jpg

shirt-bd-collar-linen-buckwheat-6s@2x.jpg

It has a strong character, this linen, so whereas with the same collar in needlecord, it was very easy to control and manipulate the roll of the collar, here the cloth fights back. Has a mind of its own.

mebro2

Reaction score
It seemed like only yesterday we had a mountain of linen-y items to cut and make and photograph ... but now suddenly we're down to the final handful (with just the popover with short sleeves to go).

Here's the shirt with button-down collar in linen poplin. We've reverted to the "that's pretty darn heavy for a shirt" linen after a brief foray into lighter realms last year. This cloth has the benefit of having a really rather heavy drape and (for linen) a good amount of crease resistance. Plus it ages really nicely, and if washed with care accruing really nice worn-in fading.

View attachment 2201999
View attachment 2202005
View attachment 2201993
View attachment 2202001
View attachment 2201991
View attachment 2202007
View attachment 2202011
View attachment 2201997
View attachment 2201995
View attachment 2202009
View attachment 2202003

It has a strong character, this linen, so whereas with the same collar in needlecord, it was very easy to control and manipulate the roll of the collar, here the cloth fights back. Has a mind of its own.
This has become one of my favorite shirts of all time. As a lazy man, I historically have stayed away from wrinkly linen, but this is such a robust fabric, that it is more akin to a more breathable oxford cloth, and the wrinkles simply relax away when hanging in my closet. Just perfect.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This has become one of my favorite shirts of all time. As a lazy man, I historically have stayed away from wrinkly linen, but this is such a robust fabric, that it is more akin to a more breathable oxford cloth, and the wrinkles simply relax away when hanging in my closet. Just perfect.

I was going to say that the creases fall away when put back back on the hanger.

I mean, it *does* crease, of course, being linen, but because of the heft and thickness of the cloth, they're somehow good creases — welcome creases! — that add to the shirt some character.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Duly noted.

As a very, very small (pitifully minuscule at best) company, we are in a tough and restricted place with sizing, compared to larger companies (companies with more than two people, I mean) because we never make much of anything.

Even our certified best-sellers are made in quantities other companies would scoff at.

If you imagine a production run of 20 jackets split across our five sizes (XS to XL) you are left with not much depth in any size. Size M is our most popular, so let's say we make 8 of them. You're then left with 12 to spread across the other six sizes of XS, S, L, XL.

It means that, at best, we're going to make 2 in XS and XL.

(The reason for the symmetry in the ratio of cutting is to make best use of cloth, by the way, hence almost without exception M is cut by itself, then S and L together, then XS and XL together).

And we *do* have lots of items in stock in XL — as https://www.sehkelly.com/xl/ always shows! — just never the ones that people seem to want.

I think the XL folks need to find an equally enthusiastic XS buddy, and come together to protest their point as a tag team!

mebro2

Reaction score
I find that the only way to secure S.E.H Kelly clothing is to visit the website almost daily. While I am (only slightly) exaggerating, I have come to appreciate things that I looked over at first or second pass, some of which have become among my favorite articles of clothing--this linen shirt, for example--which is a tall order when a growing percentage of my clothing is . . . none other than S.E.H Kelly!

Lipsum

Reaction score
Paul, when do you expect the popover to be available ? Can you please tell us about your choice of colours ?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We have been working on the polo coat again, the past week or so, and as development samples go, this one I think is highly indicative of the final garment, as it is very likely the same cloth we would use.

polo-coat-final-development-toile-1@2x.jpg
polo-coat-final-development-toile-2@2x.jpg

Not all parts of it are clear in these photographs, but it is very long, has no buttons, and has a frankly very attractive rear.

I have been trying to design it with the clear mindstate of "what would I like to throw on between periods of a polo match in the year 1948".

We have also been working on a dispatch coat, which we started 12-18 months ago, but put on the backburner. I guess best described as a trench-like coat and likely one that will reside in heavy cottons.

Finally, we have been working on the British Warm, which is a long double-breasted coat (can you spot a trend here) and will be released later this year. The final sample is made, and I really could not be happier with it, fully content and satisfied — which if you have ever spent time around me when beavering around the factory is a most unusual state of being. It is also quite long, but is more smart and structured than the above polo coat, with a front of six buttons, and most of the usual accoutrements of the genre known as "long double-breasted overcoat".

Last edited:

mebro2

Reaction score
Excited for the popover, I have been checking nearly daily and STILL missed the navy in medium--alas, not meant to be! (The pictures of the polo coat look fantastic, and I'm excited to see the British Warm!)

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K.Bratt