• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rock hard leather inner and outer soles can beat your poor feet to a pulp. Here's what I do....

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DWFII, it's simply a matter of basic physics. A first grader can understand this, if he allows himself to remove his bias. It's not about the brand. Compare the density & hardness of hard cured leather inside an AE or any quality shoe (The shoes in question are $800 C&J Darlton/Marlow's, but apply to ALL high end ($500+) leather soles I own... vs. a fluffy soft sneaker insole (Or a padded insole of a Johnston & Murphy shoe. It's like walking on air, literally) If you have veritable rocks under your feet, a minor fit issue does not trump the obvious and blatant difference in materials involved.

comfort is subjective you mook. Walking on a hard surface that is molded to your foot can be as comfortable as walking on a pillow. Not to mention, having good structure and support is the most important for overall body comfort.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you, as a runner, should know that soft is not always the most comfortable nor the best for your feet/body.

Thanks for telling me what I 'should' know. I suspect, however, that I have rather more experience than you in this area. And please don't try to drag me into your personal grudge match with Reevolving simply because I recognise that he has a point on this particular issue. .

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

comfort is subjective you mook. Walking on a hard surface that is molded to your foot can be as comfortable as walking on a pillow. Not to mention, having good structure and support is the most important for overall body comfort.

If it's subjective, then what's your point, troll?
MY feet were beat to **** after wearing my rock solid $800 shoes today, despite the heel inserts.
Hard leather heels + Hard leather outers + Hard leather inners + Gel inserts = pain after 7 hours.
If it's subjective, your mileage may vary.

You can have all the damn "structure" you want.
Doesn't change the simple 1st grade observation that leather soles are hard as ****, to put it bluntly.

Walking on a hard surface that is molded to your foot can be as comfortable as walking on a pillow.

Right, a pillow.
You keep telling yourself that.

Last edited:

well-kept

Reaction score

There is simply nothing soft about leather dress shoes. They crush your feet after a few hours. Period. I don't know a single person who thinks dress shoes are comfortable. The only nutjobs who push this are a handful of delusional mental patients on SF .... ("They are like slippers!")

Count me as a delusional nutjob, but allow me to ask if you have ever worn Edward Greens?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII, thanks for your reply. However, it's simply a matter of basic physics. A small child can even understand this, if he allows himself to remove his bias.

First, it's not about the brand. Compare the density & hardness of ANY hard cured leather inside an AE or ANY quality shoe (The shoes in question are $800 C&J Darlton/Marlo

I think you are the one with the bias. What kinds of surfaces do you think our ancestors evolved to walk on...run on? The answer is dern sure not neoprene. Dirt, hard packed in most cases. Rock. Gravel. And only rarely daily watered golf courses.

I know a little about leather and leather insoles. Some leathers are harder than others...period. The better quality insole leathers will not be rock hard...period.

Whats more, at the price point you quote, the chances approach certainty that they are GY welted and that means that the insoles have at least an eighth inch of cork between the insole and the outsole. Is this a case of "the Princess and the Pea?"

You may not like leather shoes...fair enough. But I suspect you haven't thought this through or that you know just enough about shoemaking and leather to be dangerous.

PS...hides are "cured" with salt to become "raw hide.' Raw hide is not leather. Leather is "tanned."

PPS...99.9% of women's shoes...at any price point...have fiberboard insoles.

PPSS...bias only develops when you don't know what you're talking about. We're all born ignorant but staying ignorant is stupidity.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov, column in Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One further comment...I really do sympathize with you...your whole attitude comes across as someone who has had aching feet all day long...for weeks and weeks. It would seem to me that the obvious answer is to wear running shoes, if you can't handle leather shoes.

But with all due respect, the very fact that many, many people wear leather shoes and never experience the discomfort you cite...don't agree with your extreme hyperbole...ought to move you to question both your assumptions and your conclusions.

That you feel pain is not at issue here. No one doubts that.

Your categorization of leather and leather shoes, however, is suspect at best.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put rubber sole protectors on or buy bespoke shoes with rubber soles. Darltons are pretty bad shoes with non-existent heel pocket that is constantly slipping and super-tough soles that woudl not develop hinge in 20 wears. The fact that they are made of extra-thick shell does not help the issue. Darltons are hands down the most uncomfortable shoes that I still own.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you are the one with the bias. What kinds of surfaces do you think our ancestors evolved to walk on...run on? The answer is dern sure not neoprene. Dirt, hard packed in most cases. Rock. Gravel. And only rarely daily watered golf courses.

+1. My leather-soled shoes are more comfortable than my sneakers. Soft != comfortable, at least for more than 30 mins of wear.

You have to be meticulous with getting a perfect fit though.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What kinds of surfaces do you think our ancestors evolved to walk on...run on? The answer is dern sure not neoprene. Dirt, hard packed in most cases. Rock. Gravel.

Yes, and they also died at 25.
Life was nasty, brutish, and short.
Give me the neoprene any day of the week.

. Some leathers are harder than others...period. The better quality insole leathers will not be rock hard...period.

Well, I have classic Florshiem's, Vass, C&J, and several pairs of Allen Edmonds.
ALL destroy my feet after a full day. Without exception. Only those with a rubber sole (or heel) are more forgiving.
I guess one needs to either drop down to the $100 Johnston and Murphy range
(Heavenly insoles. TOPS in the industry, bar none, unless you're a brainwashed groupthink SF labelwhore)
or the mythical $1000+ range to get a comfortable pair of shoes. (I wouldn't bet my money on that, however)
For me, I will stick to $10 gels to make do with my shoddy collection of shoes.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov, column in Newsweek (21 January 1980)

[/quote]

LOL. Like I said, it's 1st grade physics.
Hard leather is way forgiving than puffy soft cloth and rubber padding.
Ignorance, indeed. (Or just plain bullshit of the most brazen caliber)
[/quote]

It would seem to me that the obvious answer is to wear running shoes, if you can't handle leather shoes.

Ok, NOW we're getting somewhere. Yes, I certainly can't handle wearing leather soles. They are hard as **** on every shoe I own. Looking fabulous is what it's all about, but my feet need a vacation from all this leather soled glamour! Even the ladies can't wear their brutal heels EVERY day. I will be shifting to my workhorse J&M's for the next few days. Thank GOD for $100 shoes with rubber soles and padded inner. Real footwear. Not impractical decorations. Just like high heels. In fact, maybe I should carry a 2nd pair of shoes in my manpurse, just like the smart women do.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly if you can fit one of those gel insoles in your shoes they were probably too big to begin with. hence the fit issues.

Good point, but these are the very smallest and thinnest heel gels.
http://www.amazon.com/Scholls-Massaging-Heel-Cushions-Womens/dp/B00099E8W8
They are from the women's section, in fact. (flame on, trolls)
They are not like the big footlong inserts you need to cut to size.
Those kind do not fit in my shoes, like you said.

Regardless, I've already addressed the mythical fit issue.
I bet I could drive a nail with the insoles, if the shoe were somehow turned inside out.
Take your pick: Vass AE C&J Florsheim. All could drive a nail, I bet.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Put rubber sole protectors on or buy bespoke shoes with rubber soles. Darltons are pretty bad shoes with non-existent heel pocket that is constantly slipping and super-tough soles that woudl not develop hinge in 20 wears. The fact that they are made of extra-thick shell does not help the issue. Darltons are hands down the most uncomfortable shoes that I still own.

Ok, some actual reality & facts. Thanks. The shoes do feel bulletproof and thick. I love them. I can tell they're going to last forever.
The fact that I can only endure wearing them perhaps twice a week should make them last a solid 20 years.
So, your soles never broke in? Is that b/c you gave up on them? I love how these shoes look.
I can pay the price of looking fabulous, and if that means feet that are beat to ****, so be it !
I will break these in, esp, considering that they are $800 shoes. I don't give up that easily !

Count me as a delusional nutjob, but allow me to ask if you have ever worn Edward Greens?

No, I have not. Do they have padded insoles like Johnston and Murphy?
(the most comfortable shoe in my collection, bar none (Vass/AE/C&J/Florsheim/Cheaney)

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meh, they're comfortable for me so i guess all i can say is i'm sorry for your situation.

If finances allowed i'd suggest trying bespoke. As we have a similar collection and i feel no discomfort, it is likely an issue of fit.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meh, they're comfortable for me so i guess all i can say is i'm sorry for your situation.

+1

If finances allowed i'd suggest trying bespoke. As we have a similar collection and i feel no discomfort, it is likely an issue of fit.

this

imo, bespoke wouldn't help as he hasn''t comprehended the concept of shoes and their fit, yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics