• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

havingaraveup

Reaction score
I got around Finland for two months in mine and 3 years later they're still kicking.

Just as long as you're not doing any activities which will damage the vamp - eg hiking, kicking the clutch of a motorbike, etc.
Are yours made of yearling? I don't plan on doing any crazy hiking, just a lot of walking, nothing intense.

Silent Speaker

Reaction score
Alden Barrie/RMW sizing:

Any of you American chaps have something in the Alden Barrie last? May I ask what size you wear in your RM's?
This info would be most appreciated! :D

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Splits I think.
Excuse my ignorance, what is RMWs suede made of? (I'm guessing yearling).
He is correct that's it's split suede. Says so in their catalogs. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Have any of you pulled off R.M. Williams and shorts before?

With turnouts perhaps (if I were a girl). Never with the craftsman last. The only turnouts I've seen have been on girls wearing shorts or summer dresses.
Men appear to generally favour the craftsman last from what I've seen (barring perhaps one or two exceptions), and the craftsman doesn't look good with shorts.

The only RM's that would look "not silly" in my eyes with shorts would be the stockyard disposable workboot (or whatever that blundstone surrogate made by RMW is called) or perhaps the yard boot. Something wide, clunky, and workboot like. Snub nosed, not chiseled. (Henly?) The dressier models wouldn't do for me.

The sleeker lasts wouldn't look too good (unless you perhaps wore very short shorts, tight short shorts, and shaved your legs).

my 2cents

Last edited:

STK_astoria

Reaction score

Alden Barrie/RMW sizing:

Any of you American chaps have something in the Alden Barrie last? May I ask what size you wear in your RM's?
This info would be most appreciated! :D

7.5 D in Barrie, 7 G in Craftsman and Turnout.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contacted RMWs - the split suede is yearling.

milw50717

Reaction score

So my brothers and I are planning on going on a road trip to the south starting memorial day, and coming back 2 weeks later. We're hitting VA, NC, SC, GA, LA, TN, KY and back to NYC again. I plan on bringing running shoes for any hiking we end up doing, but would RMs be suitable for the other days? I'd bring trees, but would they get completely destroyed from being work 10 days over the course of 2 weeks, and is this a huge, huge mistake? If the weather gets bad, or if I encounter mud, I plan to wear my trail shoes, but I mean for walking around, museums, sitting in the car, touring, dinner etc, would the RMs be the right shoe? I'd love to take them, but I'd need some sort of reassurance that they're a good travel boot. Any help is truly appreciated. 

There are not many types of footwear that will be destroyed after 10 days of walking around. Your boots will be fine and will even survive rain and mud.

milw50717

Reaction score

I wouldn't try. The only time I wear boots with shorts is when mowing the lawn or in the garden. I wouldn't buy RM's for that though :D (I wear blundstones).

That was me yesterday. Shorts, Blundies and a lawn mower.

I do however wear them with shorts quite often. Wool sock rakishly turned down at the top of the boot.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was me yesterday. Shorts, Blundies and a lawn mower.

I do however wear them with shorts quite often. Wool sock rakishly turned down at the top of the boot.

I'm still on styleforum, right?

milw50717

Reaction score
You bring the camel and the Lawrence props and we'll take some photos.

Until then, unless there are photos then this did not happen :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads