1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

I will have to stop in, thanks!

2. Brock Zeigler

Brock Zeigler Active Member

3. Brock Zeigler

Brock Zeigler Active Member

[​IMG]

R.M. Williams All-Rounder Boots

4. henrikol

henrikol New Member

Just got my comfort craftsman in chestnut color. Beautiful!
    Now, how should I treat them before I go out in the snowy weather? Do I need to put anything more than the Stockman's Boot Polish that came with the shoes?

5. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

as with all new shoes, condition the leather and the welt threads, light wax the leather and the welt threads, before you put them to use.

6. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Hi mate. I have around 11 pairs of RMs , of which one pair is the Craftsman in French Veal Calf. Unfortunately, it sounds to me that they are too small for you. Did the salesman measure you up? My experience suggests that these boots should fit out of the box and feel like you have been wearing them all of your life. The key is getting the correct size. If your left foot is in pain, I would sell them, as they will never stretch to accommodate the size difference and they will only get worse when your feet swell in the hot weather.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Well said. These are not boots that require a lengthy, uncomfortable break-in period. All footwear will break in with use but my two pair of yearling craftsman boots felt great out of the box. Stiff leather, like that found on workboots (Whites, Red Wing, etc.) takes time to soften up and be comfortable. It's recommened that users wear them for just a few hours at a time until they break in. RMW craftsman should not require this step. I'd think that they are the wrong size.

Did the SA measure you? Did you try on multiple sizes? I'd bring them back to the store and respectfully request a different size. It's not like you are looking for a refund but rather an exchange based on poor fit advice. It can't hurt to try.

8. JPoli

JPoli New Member

Hello all, I've lurked quite a bit of this thread, but I've created an account to bring a question to you guys regarding my own pair of RMs.

So, I bought my 1st pair a little under a year ago, Kangaroo Craftsman. I initially loved them, but somewhat recently I've noticed a sort of defect in my boots that's really annoying me and I wanted an opinion.

[​IMG]
    The toe stiffeners are uneven. The left boot's is about 1/2-3/4 an centimeter longer than the right's, and the Right's actually curves up on the inside edge. In case it's not immediately visible in the picture here's a crude outline of what I believe to be the edge of each toe stiffener.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see on the left boot, the leather is actually buckling up against the stiffener.
    Now, I do like the creasing on the kangaroo in general, it's what attracted me to the kangaroo leather in the 1st place; but because the leather is a lot thinner, it's really accentuated this flaw.

Is there anything I can do about this? If i bring them to RM Williams is there anything they can/will do about this?
    I'd really love to love these boots, but this is really bugging me.

Thank you.

9. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Hi mate. It is personal opinion, but the beauty of an RM boot is its individuality. You have to remember that these boots are pretty much hand made, thus they will always differ. A pair of mine have creased differently and taken on different patinas, but I love that. Another consideration is that your feet are different, thus when you walk, you will probably crease the boot in a different way.

I know this doesn't answer your question per se, so I don't think you should worry about it, as the more you wear them, the more individual they will become. Just enjoy them.

Cheers.

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Take the back, see what they say.

11. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

Your boots looks like perfect from your pictures, I think you don't wear them quite often. I have the same situation as you and even worse, however from my opinion, as long as the leather doesn't break up, it should be no problem at all for you wearing. I will post some photos later on, and you will know exactly what I'm saying.

12. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

Regarding your issue, I think I have the same problem as you but even worse, however I don't think it is a big problem. I have attached some photos from my boots.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Catfish

Catfish Member

Any boxing day or post christmas sale at RM this year? i am looking for new boots.

14. dlind

dlind Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a pair of boot shoetrees for RM Williams boots? links are appreciated! I have looked everywhere but haven't found anything!

15. wxxnxs

wxxnxs Active Member

Nope, only get buy a new pair of boots and get one pair of boat shoes for free.

16. Dr No

Dr No Well-Known Member

Tried on some RMW craftsman in yearling.
    Leather quality was unacceptably low, fit ok but nothing special.
    Didn't get any.

17. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Hi Dr No. You must have extremely high standards...

18. chogall

Yearling is not calf.

19. chogall

My 4-yr old RMW Yearling Craftsman has a slight cracks in leather upper while my C&J/Lobbs survived fine; heels worn but the soles are still good.

20. Dr No

Dr No Well-Known Member

Yearling I saw had this thin flakey character, if you just scuff it I think the top layer will just come off easily.
    My loakes has better quality leather. My lobbs are in another leather-universe.
    If you compare mrsp here the RMW are around 400 euro. Lobbs are roughly double that. Actually the quality of Lobbs are far more than double that of RMW.