• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rider Boot co vs everything else

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am about a day away from pulling the trigger on Rider Boot Co. Richmond Boot (as seen below)

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 10.35.03 PM by sinnedk, on Flickr

price is $850, i have been diligently looking around for other cool boots, this will be my first/last big purchase for a long time. So here is the question without going over $850, does anyone have better boot suggestions? please post some pics, please help steer me the right way so i get the best bang for my buck, any tips and help is appreciated.
Thanks Gents!

PS: no aldens please

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
$850 is no man's land for shoes. Edward Green/John Lobb/G&G are all $1k+, and Aldens cap out around $700. It's a good choice as long as you like the style.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
brooksbro-cordovan-boot-0.jpg
Peal & Co. Cordovan Boot for $698. Today only

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get the C&J for BB boot. You already have another black boot. Your Northcote is made on the more refined 609 last while the BB Cordo (BBC) is made on the rugged 335. Why would you want two pairs of black boots? Wouldnt you be better off with a black and a burgundy in cordovan? And the BBC is cheaper than the Rider.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
$850 is no man's land for shoes. Edward Green/John Lobb/G&G are all $1k+, and Aldens cap out around $700. It's a good choice as long as you like the style.
C&J Cordo boot for the price of an Alden
bounce2.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the boot fits well

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
But I do like black
thats fair. But also consider these facts:
  • Burgundy Cordovan is very dark to begin with. At night, no one will notice the difference. In the daylight however, the cordovan will glow brighter than the motherf#$king bay area sun
  • At $700 this boot is a better "value" than the $965 Rider boot
  • Resale value. The C&J boot is higher because (a) its the one of the most beloved brands on SF and (b) most of us like the horse ass

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
thats fair. But also consider these facts:
  • Burgundy Cordovan is very dark to begin with. At night, no one will notice the difference. In the daylight however, the cordovan will glow brighter than the motherf#$king bay area sun
  • At $700 this boot is a better "value" than the $965 Rider boot
  • Resale value. The C&J boot is higher because (a) its the one of the most beloved brands on SF and (b) most of us like the horse ass

Lmao, how long is that sale going for? Is it really only for today?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lmao, how long is that sale going for? Is it really only for today?
yeah, its today only. I already purchased my pair half an hour ago. I missed out on it last year during the semi-annual sale when it was 40% off. Back then BB sold out of it within days so they had to postpone delivery for some of the orders for months. Plus you get free shipping until the 14th.
smile.gif
Only drawback is that tax is $70
plain.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
done

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Namor I almost feel like you work for either C&J or or BB :)
I do. Except I dont get paid. I have nothing against Rider but they "facts" are overwhelmingly in favor of the C&J boot. In the 6 months I have been on SF I have developed a nose for a good effing deal and this is it.
Originally Posted by in stitches
done
did you buy it?!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fu

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics