• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rider Boot co vs everything else

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RockJaw
For around $800-850 you can get the real hand made deal from Edward Green here:-
http://www.edwardsofmanchester.co.uk...way-brown.html
Sale price = 700 pound less VAT = 560 pound = around $810-850 per pair.
Add to that a free pair of shoe trees and a $35.00 contribution to shipping and you have an additional saving of around $200 (the cost of a pair of boot trees at Skyvalet1)
Sure, the Galways are brown, but they are pure class and it is $400 - $500 cheaper than Skyvalet1 in Washington and a toilet load cheaper than Leffot
With the cash you save you could almost buy another Cordovan boot in any color you like!

hey buddy where do you see a sale? or did you mean wait for one?

RockJaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
THE sale price is £700.00 less VAT PLUS free lasted shoe trees PLUS £35.00 contribution to shipping and you have a GREAT deal on a Galway. Hell, even the other staples are bloody darned cheap £590.00 less VAT = £490.00 for an Inverness? WOW! and L O O K at the G & G Sinatra! £490 = less than $800.00 for a brand new G & G with trees? Edwards of Manchester have been selling shoes for over a century, they really know their stuff and they give you a really great deal. At that price I would take the Galways while they still have stock anyday. Telephone Mark at the store and he is really helpful

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he just means that the normal selling price is 700 pounds, and when you subtract out the VAT, it comes to 560 pounds. EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the other responses above. Should have refreshed before replying.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Ron's boots and have a pair of his shell cordovan black wingtip boots that I love, but do you really want to spend $850 on something that will just look like nice combat boots to 99% of the population?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I'm a big fan of Ron's boots and have a pair of his shell cordovan black wingtip boots that I love, but do you really want to spend $850 on something that will just look like nice combat boots to 99% of the population?

Who on SF cares about what 99% of the population likes to wear?
boxing[1].gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im just going for most bang and best look for my buck

then I think you buy something other than a black plain toe boot

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so this is one of these threads where you say

does anyone have better boot suggestions? please post some pics, please help steer me the right way so i get the best bang for my buck, any tips and help is appreciated.
but then we find out you have already made up your mind on this specific boot. got it.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
so this is one of these threads where you say
but then we find out you have already made up your mind on this specific boot. got it.

well i was upfront about that, i just wanted to see if some members had good guidance and maybe i missed something.

I did seriously consider Namor's idea which was grand. Overall i just wanted to see what else is out there for price because i really looked and think i did ok.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like Tricker's boots, but their MTO is around $900 so in the same price range as Riders.

They have quite few lasts that are not widely know, can contact them about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads