• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on the Red Wings x J. Crew boots tonight and they fit me in 1 full size down. I am kind of wanting some but I doubt I'll buy them. Definitely no time soon thanks to all these other purchases.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I tried on the Red Wings x J. Crew boots tonight and they fit me in 1 full size down. I am kind of wanting some but I doubt I'll buy them. Definitely no time soon thanks to all these other purchases.
? I have these. They fit me fine in my size. I'm starting to wonder if people on this forum just don't understand that workboots aren't supposed to fit like dress shoes.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw these in the sufu shoes thread:

8111.jpg

8113.jpg

Looks pretty cool

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ Those Iron Rangers looks pretty good.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
? I have these. They fit me fine in my size. I'm starting to wonder if people on this forum just don't understand that workboots aren't supposed to fit like dress shoes.
How much room are you supposed to have for workboots? I've been thinking of getting a pair and this would definitely be good info to know.

LooseChange

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has bee discussed, but how long do the crepe soles last? I really like the comfy walking it provided, but how fast do they wear out? For example, if used for everyday wear.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wupper

binaryphpad0.jpg

I think I'm gonna buy these today, but before I drop $200 on them I just want to know if they're big/clunky? And would I be better off getting a similar style boots from a different brand?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
?

I have these. They fit me fine in my size. I'm starting to wonder if people on this forum just don't understand that workboots aren't supposed to fit like dress shoes.

Give me a little more credit than that, Arethusa. In a 9.5D RWxJC I had the most support, but still some room. They weren't snug by any means, but definitely the most comfortable. On the other hand I have some Red Wings Irish Setters in a 10.5C (I am a 10.5D actual) that seem to fit me pretty well. In case anyone is wondering I'm a 10D in Alden Indy's and 10D in White's Semi Dress. My RM Williams are a 9.5G but I could probably get a 9F next time. 10.5 Chucks and Purcells and 10 in Clarks Desert Boots, with a 10.5 in AE Park Avenues.

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooseChange
I'm not sure if this has bee discussed, but how long do the crepe soles last? I really like the comfy walking it provided, but how fast do they wear out? For example, if used for everyday wear.

should last a few years, and you can get them resoled easily.

Originally Posted by pokey07
I think I'm gonna buy these today, but before I drop $200 on them I just want to know if they're big/clunky? And would I be better off getting a similar style boots from a different brand?

yeah, they are an aggressive, chunky pair of work boots. they are a bit more "dressy" than the moc toe red wings, but still not a small, sleek-looking shoe. the toe area in particular is quite bulky. they look great, it just depends what you want.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the Red Wing boots compare to the Alden boots (e.g., Indy boot, chukka boot)? Anyone own both?

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiru
should last a few years, and you can get them resoled easily.

yeah, they are an aggressive, chunky pair of work boots. they are a bit more "dressy" than the moc toe red wings, but still not a small, sleek-looking shoe. the toe area in particular is quite bulky. they look great, it just depends what you want.

For a person who's trying to step away from his Timberland work boot style I think maybe these could be the perfect transition.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpoblete
How much room are you supposed to have for workboots? I've been thinking of getting a pair and this would definitely be good info to know.

boots are supposed to be sized larger because you wear thick wool socks. And I mean really thick. We are talking about socks which clearly add another 1/2 size. Red Wing still makes socks like this, and with these, your correct size will fit great.

but, if you don't plan to wear socks like this, you need to account for it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
How do the Red Wing boots compare to the Alden boots (e.g., Indy boot, chukka boot)? Anyone own both?
Red Wing is more of a workboot / kickaround boot. Alden boots tend to be dressier using high quality leathers like cordovan. If you are looking for a bulletproof boot that till take a beating go with red wings. If you are looking for a beautiful pair of boots that can be more than double the price of Red Wings go with Aldens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads