1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Reasons why New York Sucks

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the problems of getting things delivered in NYC is well documented. A doorman can't make up for an incompetent delivery service.

2. roquesoon

roquesoon Well-Known Member

UPS and FedEx have usually had an official policy of making 3 delivery attempts, after which they hold the package at a local facility for a certain period of time before returning to sender. These days, on the second (or in the FedEx case above, first) attempt, they simply leave the package in plain sight in a high-traffic area.

And yes, it would be great to live in a building with a doorman, but they are likely all far outside of my income bracket.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Where do you live?

4. roquesoon

roquesoon Well-Known Member

5. ter1413

Go to your local bodega/cleaners/etc. Ask them if they can/will receive packages every now and then for you. If they know you by face, they should be ok with doing it.

Problem solved as long as you don't get furniture delivered.

Holiday time, hit them off with a bottle.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

My dry cleaner does this for people.

7. thatboyo

thatboyo Well-Known Member

Have it sent to your workplace (my current employer doesn't allow this, though [​IMG])

Also, the "local" facilities for UPS/Fedex aren't always local. For me, the UPS one is held at a place in Maspeth unless I have an account with UPS and request them to send it to a closer UPS location. For Fedex, all of my stuff goes to either a place in Astoria or in Forest Hills.

I don't live in Queens, either.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. patrickBOOTH

Id do this if I wanted a package successfully delivered to me a month late.

9. ter1413

Exactly.
    If one lives in Inwood/'Heights, I would guess you patronize some of these places daily. Just ask them.

Years ago, I ordered a Macbook for an ex GF for her birthday. FedEx/UPS(I can't remember) attempted delivery and then delivered it to the bodega on the corner. I had no arrangement with them but the woman upstairs did. I was actually worried that it got stolen...but when the woman came home from work, she dropped it off.

10. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Idunno man. I think they see a non-doorman building and if you don't answer they say fuck it. I had zero issues in my (doorman) building, including receiving 1 jillion wedding gifts.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Do you live/work close to a UPS Store? You can rent a box for the purpose of receiving packages. Not the cheapest solution (in DC, it's $30/month if you go in for a year), but might be worth it for the peace of mind if you are worried about packages being stolen from your apartment building.

12. ter1413

That's another option...
    But living in Inwood/W Heights means that there are probably hundreds of bodegas/stores/cleaners/etc that would do this for free.

13. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  14. patrickBOOTH

Ok, so it turns out this guy who killed his father for cutting his allowance might get part of the inheritance. Net worth of mogul father: $1.6 million. I guess I was wrong about how much this guy had. It just seems very odd to me that this 70 year old guy with a life of Finance behind him only had $1.6 million. Maybe from supporting the kid? Maybe he just spent like a drunken sailor? Maybe Bernie lost most of it? Maybe it is hidden in a Swiss account? I mean $1.6 million is a lot of money, but people with normal salaries can easily have at least that in their 401K's by 70 years old. Very curious.

15. patrickBOOTH

I'm currently in an awful place called Penn Station. I've been asked for money about 40 times in 20 minutes.

16. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

They won't issue you a ticket without it.

10 people like this.
  17. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Well-Known Member

Since this about the only consistent New Yorker thread (I mean, what's more New York then complaining about New York?) I figured I would post this here too:

It's clothing buying season for next fall and a number of us industry people are going to be in New York for the trade shows. We are having us a little meet-up with the locals this Tuesday, January 20th at 7:30pm at Nocello, 257 West 55th Street –between Broadway and Eighth. Come on and join us for dinner, a drink, or just to hang out. Pleas PM me so we can get an idea of a head count.

Yes, @lefty I said "industry" people. Deal with it. You are invited anyway.

All are welcome. Hope you guys can make it!

18. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Someone married you?!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    2 people like this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

What does "industry" people mean? What industry?

20. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

You know...
    The trade
    The business