• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasons why New York Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, whenever I peruse this thread to check out the complaint du jour, I think to myself, "Yeah, but obviously, it's still better than Philly." But JFK is the exception.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Look, if we are honest with ourselves, the truth is, what is "great" about NY are the legitimately world-class institutions, shopping, restaurants, etc. But you pay very, very dearly for that. To live in what I call "the functioning bubble" parts of NY is unbeleivably expensive. The rest is 3rd world at best. And unless you are a 1%er, you WILL have a lot of contact with that 3rd world element, even as you try to arrange (and pay for) you whole life to avoid it.

Now, is near recourse to that stuff worth it? To some it is, to some it is not.

So, Philly, totally inferior in every world class way. But you can still have a very nice life in it's functioning bubble core for way less cash.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I like Philly, actually. My wife spent a few months in Philly a few summers ago, and my plan to visit for a week turned into roughly 2 or 2.5 weeks. I visited 2 or 3 times last summer, and always had a great time. The constant BYOB is whack, but there's some great wine stores in the Cherry Hill area, and one could consume better wine for far less thanks to the BYOB everywhere policy.

I may be banned from the foraz for this, but if we didn't have a bunch of friends in San Francisco, I'd sooner visit Philly again over SF.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I first moved here, I thought, "This is inferior but way more livable." That wears off after a few years. I don't hate it here or anything, but the ennui definitely creeps in. When I visit NYC, I generally can't afford the world-class institutions, shopping, and restaurants. But I feel better the instant my feet hit the pavement--there's just more energy. And I can say this as someone who lived in Queens during my short stint as as a New Yorker.

Oh, and Philly is a nice city to visit. Friends of mine from all over (including NYC) like visiting. The city takes a while for it to wear you down with its seething sense of resentful mediocrity.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Well, for sane people that "I have to be here and nowhere else" feeling wears off with maturity. Either that or you hit the jackpot and are able to live a NY life in truly high style.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Oh, and Philly is a nice city to visit. Friends of mine from all over (including NYC) like visiting. The city takes a while for it to wear you down with its seething sense of resentful mediocrity.

i'm sure this is true.

I feel like NYC is a total blast at first for newcomers right out of college, but it slowly wears and grinds people into pieces. I bet you the turnover for transplants out of college is very high around the 4-5 year mark. Then those who are left emerge with jaded black hearts and a deep love and appreciation for the city and its residents (and a shared hatred of summer in NY).

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score

I was flying back from Dublin and to my surprise went through US immigration there. Sweet, I thought. Landed at JFK to be directed into the immigration line. But we just went through immigration I said to the line jockey. That one didn't count she said.

When they raze JFK they should call all the employees in that morning for a special meeting with cake then quietly lock the doors.

lefty

I flew back from Dublin in July and went through immigration there too, but I didn't have to also go through it again at Ohare. I wonder why you had to at JFK? It was pretty nice to get off the plane and be able to leave right away.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look, if we are honest with ourselves, the truth is, what is "great" about NY are the legitimately world-class institutions, shopping, restaurants, etc. But you pay very, very dearly for that. To live in what I call "the functioning bubble" parts of NY is unbeleivably expensive. The rest is 3rd world at best. And unless you are a 1%er, you WILL have a lot of contact with that 3rd world element, even as you try to arrange (and pay for) you whole life to avoid it.

Isn't this why God invented Connecticut?

The things that people put up with to live in NYC amaze me, especially regarding real estate. Some of my friends have had the most incredible battles to secure housing that would embarrass an Indian slum dweller.

A while ago I read an article about New York real estate that was discussing, with approval, a couple who had to build a "bedroom" out of plywood in the living room of their one-bedroom apartment when they had their first child.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if you're living in a one bedroom apartment, you should not be having children.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
you can move to the burbs, which I did, but a decent burb is not cheap either, merely cheaper per SqFt. So, I get more space but I spend the same money I would have in the city. And there are other costs and hassles.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

if you're living in a one bedroom apartment, you should not be having children.

My first born was born into a one bedroom manhattan apt., although it was only for a few months.

To me, its worse to have a studio apt and a dog, which it seems to me that everyone (guy) I knew with a studio, had a dog. So you walk in, the apt smells like dog, they have to pay for a dog walker/sitter, nothing fits in the damn apt. ("I have to remember to get my toothbrush from storage), but they are living the "NYC life".

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it's basically a case of parents who have a life changing event but are unwilling to adjust much (ie move to a less swanky neighborhood).

It could also be a case of something like a grandfathered rent controlled apartment where they're paying way below market and it makes more sense in their eyes to change the space than to move.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I knew people in a 1 BR who had a kid, made the bedroom a nursery and then they moved to the LR.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I knew people in a 1 BR who had a kid, made the bedroom a nursery and then they moved to the LR.

this seems to be way smarter than "lets put a wall up to make it seem like a 2 bedroom and continue the next phase of our life right here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads