1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

Nope. It's knucks.

1 person likes this.
  2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Def. knucks

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

Is Knucks doing crossfit now?

4. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

Just saw this on FB, srry, had to share.
    [​IMG]

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Wtd accidently left my Stick at the gym and someone used it and bent it into a half circle. What monster would do this?! This is war.

6. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Any of you RHET brahs ever wake up and just know aint shit getting done that day? no workout, no sticking to diet. shitty feels.

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Going from a strict cut into maintenance calories I've loosened up a bit and been eating a lot more refined carbs along with increased artificial sweetener and sodium intake. Looked at myself in the mirror today and thought I looked soft and bloated. Not happy.

Made me think about cutting out the "bad" carbs and all "unnecessary" foods (salt, sweetener, pre packaged stuff) and be strict on my upcoming bulk. In that case, I would use mainly tubers and potatoes with limited rice and whole grain pasta for carbs, cutting out almost all grains and dairy. Some fruit. Meat and eggs for protein. Good oils, eggs, avocados, salmon and nuts for healthy fats.

Basically I would be doing a stricter bulk (not simply IIFYM) with the same total calories. I guess this should limit sluggishness and bloating while providing more vitamins and minerals than whatever IIFYM style diet.

Anyone tried something similar and care to share? Are micronutrients important on a bulk? (we all know they are on a cut)

8. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

If you think about it, on a cut or not, eating a diet high in natural, wholesome foods makes the most sense. I look at a lot of my gym rat friends, and the ones who bulk clean always look better than the guys who don't give a shit and eat Big Macs and Doritos.

9. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

of course they look better but are they putting on muscle as quickly?

That's the question you have to ask yourself if you decide to limit a food group while going on a bulk. How easy will it be to get that all important caloric excess?

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I'm a small fry, but smashing 1500cal of chicken, potatoes, n broccoli after working out is often harder than the workout.

11. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

Meh, i'd rather put on muscle mass a little slower than look all bloated and puffed up from too much sodium and water retention. Plus, I personally feel better if i'm eating better rather than junk.

12. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

I've never understood the iifym appeal of living off of junk food. I can appreciate not feeling guilty over having a bag of chips once in awhile but I find I crave good home cooked whole foods more than anything.

1 person likes this.
  13. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Something worth mentioning is that you can't force feed muscle growth, but you can force feed fat. Don't have a source handy, but isn't it .5lb of lean mass a week under optimal training and recovery circumstances for an experienced trainee? I could be wrong, but either way, I don't get the goal of putting on 2+lbs of scale weight per week for the sake of doing so.

Butter tastes amazing on all of these things

14. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

yeah, i agree. heres a good article about it http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

15. Coldsnap

Big fan of IFFYM after workout. Today was -

1 egg 4 egg whites, 2 bacon, bowl of green beans
    6oz chicken, broccoli, fish oil tablets
    6oz chicken, broccoli, fish oil tablets + 1/2 scoop of PB, sweet potato, half a slice of banana nut bread
    Intra workout 120g sugar, 40g prot, some other stuff
    Chipotle double meat, chocolate milk box, banana nut bread
    1 Pop tart, 35g casein

16. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

Clean eating = less salt

Yo GN Im mirin hard dude.

17. Coldsnap

I was taught then when you increased your protein to around 1.4-1.6g per body weight you need to increase your sodium intake substantially.

18. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Well, my questions was not really dirty bulk vs clean bulk. I have very good control of my macros and exact calorie intake. I pretty much never eat fast food or much simple carbs.

I am more interested in how much difference natural vs processed sources of carbs and the like matter. For instance, the guy on 70's big talks about only getting the vast majority of his carbs from potatoes and other tubers, in contrast to eating a bigger variety consisting of grains, low fat ice cream, pasta etc. Same goes for good fats versus saturated fats from meat.

19. milosh

milosh Well-Known Member

I always thought that the point of a dirty bulk is not worrying about where your macros come from because just hitting targets gets hard. I don't get how you wouldn't look/feel/perform better if you got your nutrients from better quality sources.

20. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

How to put on weight from my experiences..

1.5-2g per pound bw in protein

2-3g per pound bw in carbs

0.75-1g per pound bw in fats

Like first 3,000 calories clean, and after that, fuck it. Also, macros don't need to be 40/30/30 or anything too specific during a bulk.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.