• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gong

Reaction score
i emailed tres bien asking them when they'll get them back, i'd rather deal with them over oki-ni

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dressing biz cas 5 days a week is really...

cramping my style

:rimshot:

but seriously it has kind of crushed my interest in cool clothes -- what's the point if I can only wear them 2 days a week?

guess i need cooler biz cas clothes, but meh

turn to hidden placket shirts and aggressively tapered trousers with dope boots!

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
felt like toasty today.

was kind of bored and wandering around boston alone. went to check out bodega. the outside was disguised as a bodega which i wasn't really expected but cool idea i guess. no sign or anything but they had a sign up about not camping for sneaker releases so i figured it was the right joint. walked in and expected a nice shop full of shoes and stuff. but it was tiny, i didn't see any clothes, and didn't really see much except for a couple of coolers of soda. the couple of dudes in there just looked at me and i looked back really surprised. instead of just asking if it was the right place i just walked out and drove home.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dressing biz cas 5 days a week is really...

cramping my style

:rimshot:

but seriously it has kind of crushed my interest in cool clothes -- what's the point if I can only wear them 2 days a week?

guess i need cooler biz cas clothes, but meh

I find this post interesting since I think it's an issue that a fair number of the regular posters in SW&D have yet to face. There are quite a few regulars that have either yet to finish their undergraduate education or are in graduate school. While I think it's neat that there are several folk that have been able to incorporate their wardrobes into their "non-traditional workplaces" (ArtIsHard, Bows, and Brad-T come to mind), the reality is that some of the other people are going to graduate school, get a boring office job, and have to be creative with how they utilize their SW&D wardrobes.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Or get a boring office job with no dress code :teach:

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like I said, if I had the funds, I'd wear tailored MMM/Jil/Dries as my business casual.

istasi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

turn to hidden placket shirts and aggressively tapered trousers with dope boots!

basically my plan if this is the rest of the my life haha. dries, mmm, neil barrett, jil, raf, plokhov, schneider etc

I find this post interesting since I think it's an issue that a fair number of the regular posters in SW&D have yet to face. There are quite a few regulars that have either yet to finish their undergraduate education or are in graduate school. While I think it's neat that there are several folk that have been able to incorporate their wardrobes into their "non-traditional workplaces" (ArtIsHard, Bows, and Brad-T come to mind), the reality is that some of the other people are going to graduate school, get a boring office job, and have to be creative with how they utilize their SW&D wardrobes.

yeah this is my first legit mon-fri 40+ hr workweek summer internship where i've gotta look 'professional' all the time, basically just wearing uniqlo and the few sw&d pieces i have that are acceptable in the workplace. kinda makes having a closet of rick and kva sneaks and all that seem silly if i'm only going to wear them maybe once a week.

on that note picked up a jil hex shirt and dries wedge-sole derbys but i'm not sure if i'll keep because i'm in this weird spot where i feel like spending a lot of money on 'work clothes' is silly, but work clothes are all i ever wear now

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or get two wardrobes

I would never wear designer runway type suits to any business meeting, day-to-day, or even on Fridays. It would be cool but that matters very little IMO when I am working.

I feel like this discussion gets brought up, which is fine because we have people graduating and getting jobs, starting out a new career etc. (congrats), so, I will repeat myself. I dress in Uniqlo 5 days a week, or a combination of Lands End clothing for pants. Initially I wanted to ball just as hard in terms of my SW&D wardrobe but realized for me, I just need to be presentable, comfortable, and get my work done. For larger events, I would opt for a nice OTR suit with a pair of great shoes. Save your money and buy what you actually enjoy wearing when you out with friends, running errands etc. Who care if you only get to wear it 2 time a week (do you go out at night during the weekdays?)

I like to nerd out as much as the next guy but if I have to think about that in lieu of what I have to actually get done on the job, I would feel like my attention is going elsewhere. I like my off work uniform more than my work attire, it just feels more comfortable.

Regarding the no dress code, I have experienced weeks where I just show up in a tee and trousers, but I much prefer tucking in my shirt and wearing a pair of wool trousers. Otherwise, I feel really out of place.

Disclosure: I am speaking fairly from a conservative work background. Guys like brad-t or artishard seem to be able to dress up daily in their SW&D uniform, which is awesome, but is far removed from the normal office job.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are these dries wedge sole derbys you speak of?

istasi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are these dries wedge sole derbys you speak of?

these but w/ a black smooth leather upper

i guess not technically derbys but yeah :nodding:

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah this is my first legit mon-fri 40+ hr workweek summer internship where i've gotta look 'professional' all the time, basically just wearing uniqlo and the few sw&d pieces i have that are acceptable in the workplace. kinda makes having a closet of rick and kva sneaks and all that seem silly if i'm only going to wear them maybe once a week.

Fashion is a hobby, more or less, and hobbies require a little bit more effort as an adult. I don't say that to be condescending, but just what I've discovered over the ~six years of my professional career. Especially at my current job, where I have to wear company-issued FR clothing and steel-toed boots every day, often six days and 50-70 hours per week (this past weekend was my first full weekend off since early April). Any day that I'm not completely exhausted by the time I get home, I make an effort to put on something interesting even if just to go grab a bite to eat or hang out at a coffee shop or have a couple drinks or whatever. Really brightens up my day.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're all making me insanely glad I decided to stick with software rather than trying my hand at management consulting.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

was kind of bored and wandering around boston alone. went to check out bodega. the outside was disguised as a bodega which i wasn't really expected but cool idea i guess. no sign or anything but they had a sign up about not camping for sneaker releases so i figured it was the right joint. walked in and expected a nice shop full of shoes and stuff. but it was tiny, i didn't see any clothes, and didn't really see much except for a couple of coolers of soda. the couple of dudes in there just looked at me and i looked back really surprised. instead of just asking if it was the right place i just walked out and drove home.

Took a charter flight on a DC-10 to London. Landed at Heathrow. Took a cab to the city center. Don't let people lie to you: hostels are for the ugly. I'm staying in Home House, the most beautiful hotel in the world. Called a friend from school who was selling hash, but she wasn't in. Met a couple of Brits who take me to, of all places, Camden Street. I flirt a bit at the Virgin Megastore, buy some CDs, then follow some girls with pink hair. I wandered around trying to get laid, until it started to rain, then went back to Home House. Ministry of Sound is dead, so I go to Remform - but it's Gay Night. I find the one hetero girl in the place and we dry hump on the dance floor. We cab it back to Home House. I strip her clothes off, suck her toes, and we ****. I hung out for four or five days. Met the world's biggest DJ, Paul Oakenfold. Kept missing the Changing of the Guards. Wrote my mom a postcard I never sent. Bought some speed from an Italian junkie who was trying to sell me a stolen bike. Smoked a lot of hash that had too much tobacco in it. Saw the Tate. Saw Big Ben. Ate a lot of weird English food. It rained a lot, it was expensive, and I'm jonesing... So, I split for Amsterdam. The Dutch all know English, so I didn't have to speak any Dutch - which was a relief. I cruise the Red Light District. Visit a sex show. Visit a sex museum. Smoke a lot of hash. I meet a Dutch TV actress and we drink absinthe at a bar called Absinthe. The museums were cool, I guess. Lots of Van Goghs and the Vermeers were intense. Wandered around. Bought a lot of pastries. Ate some intense waffles. We bought some coke and I cruised the Red Light District, until I found some blonde with ******** that reminds me of Lara. I gave her a hundred guilders. In the end, she pulls me out, and I *** between her ****, even though I'm wearing a rubber. Afterward we made small-talk about AIDS, her Moroccan pimp, and herself. I wake to the sound of a wino singing. It's 8 AM and hot as blazes. I bump into some guy from Camden who says he knows me, but I'm sure that he's a ***, so I lose him. I try to fart and instead **** my pants. Back in my hotel room, I masturbate and have a pain in my groin. That night, I dream about a beautiful girl, half in water, stretching her lean body. She asks me if I like it and I tell her she can clean fish with it. I don't know what it means, but I wake well-rested, masturbate in the shower, and check out... I make my way back to London and hang out in Piccadilly Circus. Hmm. Palakon. I swap shirts with some upper-crusty Cambridge chick. Hers was an Agnes B., mine a Costume Nationale. She acts stuffy and prudish, but is really wild underneath it all. She barely looks at my abs, though she wants to. The next day, I drop some acid and get lost in the subway for a full day and can't find my way out. I meet a cute girl who lets me jack off onto her as long as no *** gets onto her Paul Smith coat. We get stoned while listening to Michael Jackson records and the next morning I wake up talking to myself. I have a big bump on my head from flailing in my sleep. I get my stuff and barely make my plane back to the United States... I no longer know who I am and I feel like the ghost of a total stranger.

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
favorite book ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads