• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

skintight

Reaction score
I have a pair of coloured jeans that got splatters of what could possibly be motor oil or mud or both the first time I wore them because the weather ended up horrible and the roads were slushy.

I tried washing them and forgot to check to see if the stains were gone and threw them in the dryer. I know, stupid right.
I tried using Shout triple-acting laundry stain remover on them and washed them again, this time NOT putting them in the dryer. No luck.
I then turned to a book called Natural Stain Removal Secrets by Deborah L. Martin to try and fix it. I would have to assume that it's motor oil that's stained the jeans so I used the "grease on fabric" stain removal method. Because it would be considered an old/dry stain now It instructed me to work a small amount of petroleum jelly into the stain, wait 15 minutes, and then apply an absorbant such as salt or baking soda. I only had salt so I used that. Then shake the absorbant from the fabric, and sponge the area with dishwashing liquid mixed with water. Then it instructed me to launder it in warm water.
I followed the instructions and to my dismay I now have the original stains AND petroleum jelly stains in the jeans now.
The book says that if the stain is still there, to blot it with isopropyl alcohol, natural-solvent spot removal product, denatured alcohol, or as a last resort, acetone-based nail-polish removal, unless it's an acetate fabric.
I am afraid that trying any of these will just ruin the jeans to the point that they can not be saved, possibly by removing the dye from the fabric or something. The jeans have faded very much since I started washing them and I don't want to risk them getting worse.

If anybody has any advice on this please let me know. Thanks.

uhoh.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score
I'll be in Manhattan for about 3 days at the end of this month, and I'm looking for some new sights/stores/restaurants to check out.

I'm mostly looking for junk food (burgers, pizza, mexican, pastries, etc) and cool clothing/small house goods stores (ala Nepenthes, Hickorees, etc)

Could any kind souls post/PM some suggestions?

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haven't been able to use SF on Chrome for a few days without the whole page freezing within a few seconds leading to the "Aw, Snap" page. Not having the issue with any other site. Browsing this on Firefox and dying a little inside with each passing minute.

Have you tried restarting your computer?
<P>
<P>
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Classic help desk line.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be in Manhattan for about 3 days at the end of this month, and I'm looking for some new sights/stores/restaurants to check out.

I'm mostly looking for junk food (burgers, pizza, mexican, pastries, etc) and cool clothing/small house goods stores (ala Nepenthes, Hickorees, etc)

Could any kind souls post/PM some suggestions?

C'mon man, Mexican food is not junk food. At least it shouldn't be. Last week I had short rib tacos with bone marrow at Toloache. Holy ****. Those were good.

But to answer your question...check out Bonchon for fried chicken (I'm sure some of the Korean guys on here will have other suggestions), Baohaus for Taiwanese buns, maybe La Esquina for tacos, Vanessa's Dumplings, Doughnut Plant. People are all crazy about the cronut (croissant-donut) at Dominique Ansel (the owner has serious credentials, btw). But you have to get there at like 7:30 and wait in line to get one. If you want pancakes, check out Clinton St. Baking Company. Don't go on the weekend though or you'll never get in. Not junk food, but Mission Chinese is pretty awesome and fairly cheap. For dinner, get there early, at like 6:00 or 6:30. Southern-style fried chicken at Hill Country Chicken. For pizza I like Lombardi's (other people will undoubtedly have other suggestions there too), and I like the margherita at Spunto (edit: fixed name; I wrote Spuntino originally, which is a different place).

Some cool home good at ABC Carpet, and ABC Kitchen is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. Stores: I could see you finding some stuff you like at Assembly New York. You can also check out Atelier (they're moving so may need to call to verify address), Hotoveli, and IF Boutique for good selections of stuff like Rick, Attachment, Yohji, Dries, etc. It's sales season too so you may find some deals. You might also like the Henrik Vibskov boutique in Soho. That's all I got for now. I'll let others fill out the suggestions.

Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score

C'mon man, Mexican food is not junk food. At least it shouldn't be. Last week I had short rib tacos with bone marrow at Toloache. Holy ****. Those were good.

haha yeah sorry, I knew I would catch flak for that. I just meant that I'm not looking for anything too upscale.

tyvm for the suggestions

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha yeah sorry, I knew I would catch flak for that. I just meant that I'm not looking for anything too upscale.

tyvm for the suggestions

Haha. Nah, it's cool. I wasn't really upset, just bustin on you. I knew what you meant. My wife is Mexican though so I eat a lot of non-junk-food Mexican. But I will admit that they'll do a lot of high-end cooking and then still wrap it in a tortilla, like those short rib tacos I mentioned. Hah. I like it though. I eat something wrapped in a tortilla like two to three times a week.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, just FYI, you didn't mention doing museum stuff, but if you intend to check out the Rain Room at the MOMA, be prepared to wait in line for upwards of two hours. I tried to go on a Monday afternoon with my wife like two weeks ago, when it happened to be pouring rain out, and the wait was still 2.5 hours. We didn't go, which sucked because it's supposed to be really cool. Maybe if you went a little before closing there wouldn't be a line. If you do go, know that there's a separate entrance for the rain room on 54th St. You can check out the wait and then decide if you want to go to the main desk and pay the general entry fee. Otherwise you may end up doing what my wife and I did, which was pay the general entry fee, then figure out how long the wait is for the Rain Room and decide not to do it, after which we couldn't get a refund (though we did still wander the museum, which is always nice even if you've been a bunch of times)

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
can you tell us what you plan on doing so we can give better recommendations and so you don't waste time going out of your way just for some cheap eats?

Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score

can you tell us what you plan on doing so we can give better recommendations so you don't waste time going out of your way just for some cheap eats?

This a 100% hedonistic trip and as such I have no scheduled commitments yet. I'll be staying near 51st & 10th and I don't think I'll have cause to go north of central park. I was thinking of just mapping out all the suggestions then figuring out an itinerary from there. I'm mostly planning to subway/walk everywhere too.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always eat at Sub Number 7, which some people think is "meh", but others, like me, think is really quite good. Interesting sandwiches that hit the spot. Usually have some comfort food favorites as well as some for those times you are in the "Why not?" moods.

Mission Chinese does... takeout. In San Francisco, they also do reliable delivery, which is great if you have been in meetings all day trying to get your freaking point across and are just tired, but I expect you will not have to do that. The prices are just a bit over typical Chinese takeout, but $3-4 will not break the bank, and the stuff ranges from "Good takeout" to really good. I always like the Westlake Porridge, which is quite flavorful and also filling. The appetizers can be more hit and miss than the entrees. If you are starved, a salt cod fried rice will fill you up with carbs. Just don't try any Hedi Slimane Dior Homme era looks right afterwards. Let's take this to the Food thread, though, yeah? I will soon move all of these posts over there.

Cheers,

Fok.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
my isaoro shorts tore the other day. Aside from the horrible fabric and annoyingly unusable pockets, the pattern was really cool. Unfortunately, instead of "rip-stop" nylon, they used, um, "rip-go," I guess.

Probably will not be buying from them again, but wish I had saved the shorts for someone to copy.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone else's long t-shirts "spin" when washing them?
like, the side-seams aren't straight anymore but instead "spiral" slightly around the body

has never happened with any of my "normal"-length tees

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea how Isaora gets away with marketing their clothing as being so techy and their fabrics being so resilient and high quality, stuff just tears apart like crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads