1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

15% for adequate, most time i just double the tax which is 8.75, take out gets a buck sometimes, someone does spend time packing it.

i miss europe, tipping is 1 to a few euro and done

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

ah yes... we tipped a lot in France the first day and then caught on. :embar:

3. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I've been doing some drastic closet cleaning and it feels great to purge mercilessly everything that I'm not 100% excited about. I'd rather have a small collection of things I love than a larger collection filled with mediocre stuff or good stuff that's not right for me anymore.

Of course it's always a moving target and a few months from now "things I love" will probably have different criteria.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring up the argument again, but I don't understand this notion that wait staff should get above minimum wage/what the market will pay them. Why do consumers have to make up their pay so they can have what they deem to be a living wage? I don't see how they deserve a living wage anymore then I did when I worked a night shift at a super market, it's unskilled labour that anyone can be trained to do (yes have worked in the service industry). It's like mcdonalds workers wanting $15 an hour or whatever they were striking for. Russled because my flat mate whose a waitress recently lost her shit at me because she found my contract and saw my base was like triple her annual pay, but my job is skilled. Luckily I live in the UK where this shit is all just built into the bill anyway.

5. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

You did deserve a living wage when you worked a night shift at the supermarket. Everyone deserves a living wage. Because without it, you can't, y'know, live.

9 people like this.
  6. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Well enough to live at home or support yourself at university, but I don't think unskilled labour needs to pay you enough money to support someone who wants to be financially independent living in like a major city. If you want that you can get 2 jobs.

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Elaborate? not sure what you're trying to say, you don't need a documentary to tell you that fast food is awful for you

You have this backwards. Most of these people would argue that everyone (night shift workers included) should make a living wage. If you're mentally disabled or stupid or just lazy you should still be able to work 40 hours a week manning a mcflurry machine and not starve to death. And anyway, the idea that wages in the US or UK are actually distributed based on merit is laughable.

6 people like this.
  8. Caveat

Caveat Well-Known Member

Do you understand what the "market" is? It's not like theories of economics do not apply to jobs that include tips. If people who make minimum wage were the same quality of workforce as waiters, they'd go get the waiting jobs. But they're not. That's why they bag groceries.

*Edit to say that I realize this sounds condescending to grocery workers. What I mean to say is that waiters are right in line in the totem pole of the American workforce along with everyone else. If they weren't then the market would adjust. It's not like waiters are getting away with this tipping thing and it's all a scam, with society as the victim.

9. futuresailors

futuresailors Well-Known Member

That literally describes every single job ever. You were trained to do whatever your "skilled" job is.

13 people like this.
  10. gong

gong Well-Known Member

laughing at a bunch of waiters complaining about their pay and difficult life situation on a board dedicated to expensive luxury goods

9 people like this.
  11. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

consumers don't really make up the pay. they're going to pay it one way or another because that's what the market pays them

well yeah that's part of it. the stupid thing about that documentary is that it's not mcdonalds that made him fat. it's the amount of calories he ate that made him fat. he just said yes whenever they asked him if wanted a super size. if the documentary made any point it's not that mcdonalds is bad for you it's that eating obscene amounts of food is bad for you which everybody already knows. some other guy made a documentary where he only ate mcdonalds but less calories than maintenance and consequently lost weight.

i'm not a mcdonalds person. i'll have an occasional meal once in awhile but it's not like the food is great and i need to have it. i had the mcwings the other day a friend gave to me and it was pretty decent. i think they're losing money on it tho but made a bunch of it and have been trying to move the stock out.

12. KingJulien

That's not really true. I don't have a degree in my field, I just happen to be good at problem solving and dealing with people in a somewhat bureaucratic environment. You can obviously extrapolate to disprove your point, i.e. many people would fail miserably with all the training in the world at trying to do Larry Page's job.

1 person likes this.
  13. KingJulien

Doesn't he not actually gain weight though? I mean I saw it like 8 years ago but I thought the problem was that his blood pressure was skyrocketing.

14. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he put on a ton of weight AND his blood pressure went really high. that is if we're still talking about supersize me. he had to be hospitalized in the end

15. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Well in the UK they are paid around about minimum wage, maybe a bit higher like £8, which is pretty much inline with super market workers or shop clerks. In the US they seem to get paid more money because of some societal pressure for consumers to give them extra money, which I don't really understand. Unless waiters are more valued in america then the UK I don't see why they need like $15 an hour.

Well yeah, but not everyone can be trained to be sick at DCF or LBO analysis or estimating the risks on financial instruments.

16. Caveat

Caveat Well-Known Member

Well then logic would tell you that restaurant service in the UK is probably not on the level that it is in the US, which I suspect is the case. I know it's true in Portugal. As I said before, the market works itself out. If restaurants eliminated tips and started paying waiters minimum wage, the system would go on just fine. You'd just have waiters quitting their jobs for other opportunities and restaurants would have to hire people that were a little slower, less friendly, with poor hygiene and without the wherewithal to keep track of 10 tables when their coworker called in sick.

17. melonadejello

melonadejello Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wat

18. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

In terms of the relation to the minimum wage $15 is higher then £8. Cost of living is also a fair bit higher in the UK then the US.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Again, ultimately all of this boils down to choice. Waiters make a choice when they choose their profession. So do fast food workers. Instead of going to school, learning a trade through apprenticeship, or finding a way to enrich themselves through an alternative avenue some people choose to work low level, dead-end jobs. Some complain about the low pay, the long hours, their terrible bosses or lack of growth. But at the heart of it all lies the reason for their past, present, and future inabilities to sustain themselves in a landscape built upon ever growing socioeconomic pressures and expectations - their choice.

20. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Well-Known Member

Are you selling stuff or giving away?

'cause we wear the same size...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.