• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno, I'm finding a good deal of inspiration in the futurist folks-- siki, alexandre, christophe, etc. if there's a design slump in 2012, it doesn't seem to have reached them.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: jet

I don't think he's whining. I think he's actually genuinely amused.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes a good accessory for iPad? Looking to get a case/sleeve. Thanks!

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some people who really like their Vaja cases/sleeves.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This guy's crushin on me real hard and his obsession with me is downright seriocomic.

I will paypal the first person 20 bux to get this marital aid off my jock.

Offer still stands.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This guy's crushin on me real hard and his obsession with me is downright seriocomic.

I will paypal the first person 20 bux to get this marital aid off my jock.

Offer still stands.

Scabal fabrics are overpriced, fragile and really only good for something you wear 3x a year - at least that's my experience.
You're better off with H&S, Minnis, Lesser, etc...

Thanks homie, will pm or text you later.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looked into APC, I like their cuts..

I'm impressed APC's cut worked on you. I found it to be one of the strangest cuts of any of the suits I've tried

If your body is pretty standard (6" drop), there are lots of discounted suits online. I always recommend CKC, for example. Of course, since I have a nonstandard drop, I have to go with separates. In which case I'd actually recommend Rag & Bone's Danbury or Ellington models, which IIRC are about 1k.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went from 0 to 4 cardigans, all in the span of like 3 weeks. I wish I never bought a knit someone stop me (pls sf)

Do I need to buy mothballs? Is that a thing still, moths eating your clothes? Sounds horrifying. How do I size APCs?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The purger in me is daring to sell off about a half dozen things from my closet. They're garments I really don't wear much, mostly Mister Freedom and some EG, but are so unique that I might periodically enjoy pulling them out of the closet to wear. Don't get me wrong, there is some MF, like my midnight denim peacoat, that I'll keep forever. But, I feel like I've moved on from looking like a full-on ship's captain. I'm torn.
In similar news, I was wondering how much I actually like my Nanamica duffle from last FW, until I tried it on over my Mallory jacket. **** me, it was a great fit, and it'll be an excellent overcoat this winter.
Sometimes, I feel like I don't appreciate what I have and truly like if there are items in my closet that I'm not sure I want to keep. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of person.

As someone whose closets are completely full, and who has a storage unit full of stuff dating back to about 1996 (I really started getting into fashion in about 1998, so obviously the deadstock I got my hands on only dated a few years further back,) keep it. There are Dirk Schonberger (now designer SLVR) shirts with bibs made out of cut and unfinished strips of poplin fabric. There are a couple of DIY Krones&Kin pieces that were made as essentially an art project, and now seem incredibly current. There are old Jeff Griffin pieces that seem like the precursor of Christopher Raeburn and Greg Lauren's work now. There are, of course, pre-New York move Helmut Lang pieces. and for some reason, protest piece by Raf Simons (I say surprising because I never actually liked him, period. There are Prada and Miu Miu pieces from about 2001, when everyone went full military - and that was when I fell in love with boiled wool - and trust me, wearing boiled wool shirt jackets in San Francisco in early December is a labor of love.

Most of the time, I wear a sweater of some sort, often a cardigan and a tee (I guess going from hoodies to heavyweight cardigans is my concession to being a father of 4 and in my late 30s), jeans that range from slim to antifit saggy, and interesting belt, and hightops or chukkas. But I love having that stuff. Some of it I have no idea why I bought (like the Dirk Schonberger shirts), especially since I was probably never going to wear them, and I bought them on a graduate student budget, but they don't just mark points in fashion history, but parts in my own evolution.

That said, send me a picture of your stuff, and I will tell you what you should sell to me, and for how much. I promise to be fair.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm impressed APC's cut worked on you. I found it to be one of the strangest cuts of any of the suits I've tried
If your body is pretty standard (6" drop), there are lots of discounted suits online. I always recommend CKC, for example. Of course, since I have a nonstandard drop, I have to go with separates. In which case I'd actually recommend Rag & Bone's Danbury or Ellington models, which IIRC are about 1k.

I have a 10" drop, so I have to buy pants and jacket as separates.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As someone whose closets are completely full, and who has a storage unit full of stuff dating back to about 1996 (I really started getting into fashion in about 1998, so obviously the deadstock I got my hands on only dated a few years further back,) keep it. There are Dirk Schonberger (now designer SLVR) shirts with bibs made out of cut and unfinished strips of poplin fabric. There are a couple of DIY Krones&Kin pieces that were made as essentially an art project, and now seem incredibly current. There are old Jeff Griffin pieces that seem like the precursor of Christopher Raeburn and Greg Lauren's work now. There are, of course, pre-New York move Helmut Lang pieces. and for some reason, protest piece by Raf Simons (I say surprising because I never actually liked him, period. There are Prada and Miu Miu pieces from about 2001, when everyone went full military - and that was when I fell in love with boiled wool - and trust me, wearing boiled wool shirt jackets in San Francisco in early December is a labor of love.
Most of the time, I wear a sweater of some sort, often a cardigan and a tee (I guess going from hoodies to heavyweight cardigans is my concession to being a father of 4 and in my late 30s), jeans that range from slim to antifit saggy, and interesting belt, and hightops or chukkas. But I love having that stuff. Some of it I have no idea why I bought (like the Dirk Schonberger shirts), especially since I was probably never going to wear them, and I bought them on a graduate student budget, but they don't just mark points in fashion history, but parts in my own evolution.
That said, send me a picture of your stuff, and I will tell you what you should sell to me, and for how much. I promise to be fair.

Your son(s) are going to love going through your collection when they are big enough to wear stuff (provided you let them).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads