• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Was going to post in the OSA thread but rather not derail it, RFT:
I'll be honest and others can chime in but this F/W '12 in general is pretty underwhelming compared to last year (and for the senior members probably even more so previous years).
Kind of a bummer but not really since I am saving but the year when I can start copping and everything is pretty much bland in my eyes. Perhaps I have refined my taste so much that now I am looking at the specifics rather than trying to net a gain.
For instance, bad example or not, I took a look at MrPorter's entire stock and only picked out 5 pocket squares to put on my wishlist (realized everything else was pretty much fillers that I do not necessarily have to pay a premium for--shocking right?)
Seeing how it is the holiday season now and I spent so much money on myself throughout the year, I am hoping to pickup early gifts for family and friends. I hope I am not alone in this. I hope I can pick out gifts others will like, or I guess gift cards from Amazon is not a bad idea.

disagree, though the inflection point was fall 09 this fall has been the better of the past few and I've got a few things on my cop list which I haven't had the past couple of years

fyi porter has always had a terrible cop to no cop ratio and they are consistently awful in this respect, there is about 4 things I am going to cop out of the 52,000 things on their site and two of them are basics

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

04b84774_IMG_3696.jpeg

i want to buy this rrl cardigan, wear it oversized over some faded denim, a white oxford and some boots.

Thewho13 is gonna have something to say about this, y'know

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fyi porter has always had a terrible cop to no cop ratio and they are consistently awful in this respect, there is about 4 things I am going to cop out of the 52,000 things on their site and two of them are basics

True, Porter buys are really uninspiring. Probably gonna wait for sales and grab some basic knits from them.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

disagree, though the inflection point was fall 09 this fall has been the better of the past few and I've got a few things on my cop list which I haven't had the past couple of years

missoni robe

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I meant if it came across differently is that as time moves forward each season gets progrossively uninspiring. People are always after the past. If you look at content over this year there was IMO less of a wow factor than say when members found a time piece on B&S et al. People who were copping and in the loop definitely had it better then say enthusiasts who just got interested in 2010, 11, 12? A parallel can be made in other consumer goods like electronics (construction) etc.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
toasty, i honestly think it's a factor of when you start getting interested in fashion. you've been into it for a few years, so you notice more of the repetitive aspects, etc. when you were new everything was flashy and exciting. yeah, i agree that older collections are generally better, but i also think this perception is amplified by the fact that you've had more exposure to fashion.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year most essemplare stock went down to %50 off by feb-march on the online store.

(lets hope it happens again)

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of sizes are gone already.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I meant if it came across differently is that as time moves forward each season gets progrossively uninspiring. People are always after the past. If you look at content over this year there was IMO less of a wow factor than say when members found a time piece on B&S et al. People who were copping and in the loop definitely had it better then say enthusiasts who just got interested in 2010, 11, 12? A parallel can be made in other consumer goods like electronics (construction) etc.

Maybe you're at a point in your life when you stop liking new things.. a lot of people get like that when they're older.

Keep the same style, listen to the same music etc..

MS007

Reaction score
Everything was better back then - mentality has nothing to do with fashion in particular. You will always find old guys nodding their heads to this. Its the easy thing to do, because the stuff is already established and you can base your opinion on general perception (and people tend to just disregard the bad stuff). Its much harder to point at a new piece/collection/trend and go: watch this, people will be all over it in a few years.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

It wasn't always like this but there's definitely an adaptive capacity with regards to the mind's ability to recognize good/progressive design. When I got into this game in 06 I wasn't able to process a lot of things when i saw them, not able to see them in context nor multi-dimensionally. I would just see what was on the rack or in pictures online. Clothes have to be felt and worn to be appreciated, on the hanger they are just two dimensions but on the body the depth and volume is perceived. I spent a great deal of time on the forums and going to virtually every shop in LA trying things on so slowly my mind was able to digest all of the details and design of each garment. There are things I still kick myself for not picking up but I didn't know better back then because my comfort zone was far more constricted that it is now. There was a willhelm robe I thought was ridiculous and it sat at sw for months until one day it finally disappeared. It took me over a year to recognize how brilliant it was. Contrary to your initial point it only got better when I really figured out what jil was about in 07 even though I handled it quite a bit the year prior at barneys. Different shops have different buys and jil especially has quite the expansive showroom from what I hear. It is nearly impossible for any two shops to have somewhat similar buys and quality is tiered in my experience. A particular shop I dealt with only sold the very high end garments while barney's down the street had the crude pedestrian pieces because they were afraid the others were too luxurious and unaffordable I imagine. This design boom lasted until late 2009 which is what I've been lecturing here for some time, then and now it is still superb when I go through my closet and pictures I've saved. The fact that hindsight is clearer or the perception that older is better has no bearing on my opinions, it just is. We are definitely in a design depression since vb is no more, mmm design team is history, raf going insane and making a mockery of jil not to mention his own line in as far as the aesthetics I am drawn to. There are new designers emerging all the time and there always will be but none of them really seem to have a more signature vision that lends itself to perceived wearability than my preferred ones above.

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, so take a look at this. It's a neck accessory from Sruli Recht that's made from bird wings.

It's a piece that's totally arbitrary and serves no purpose except for decoration and looks really strange. And yet it sits right next to a necktie, which is equally arbitrary and yet I don't think twice about it because I've been conditioned my whole life to think Ties Are Normal.

In an alternate universe, the birdwings could have been the Normal accessory. I could have been suiting up for a job interview and trying to choose the perfect pair of wings to go with my suit. And then I'd hop online and wince at a Sruli Recht Silk Band.

That's my omg society moment for the day.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
In other news looks like our little old friend clarksdb went full marsupial mc, du has a suit picture as his avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads