• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

circulate pain

Reaction score
I know they aren't really a "cool" brand anymore, but does anyone know if Jean Shop changed their denim? I was thinking about getting new pair to replace my old slim fits from 2008 or so and their website shows most of their jeans at around $190, where I remember back in the day they were closer to 300. I always loved the denim quality and construction from them so I wondered if they are using different denim or what.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the denim, but ever since demna gvasalia took over as jean shop's creative director, they've started inserting padding into the thighs and using 40" inseams. it looks really fresh and cool imo

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I really want a long pullover anorak/ poncho type jacket. Anybody know of a vintage military anorak model I should look out for?  Designer option recommendations would be cool too, maybe from Cabourn, EG, Needles rebuild etc. or maybe from a more technical brand. The key is long length, something like this Remi Relief one...

any ideas?

Some options on sale right now at Gentry: ts(s) and Chimala

http://www.gentrynyc.com/collections/sale/products/tss-long-army-parka

http://www.gentrynyc.com/collection...density-water-resistant-ox-bivouac-parka-navy

Last edited:

Ragechester

Reaction score
Some options on sale right now at Gentry: ts(s) and Chimala

EG had one years ago. Maybe you can still find it on eBay?
Yea these were all the ones I had in mind! Had a feeling you were going to be the one to bring them up as well. The Bivouac parka is what I've been looking at all day but I really want the olive one, which I can't find. I just want something that is a pullover that is so damn big that I can sit down, cinch it up, and get shelter from the storm. I feel like a vintage olive or grey would be the best fabric for the look. Thanks for the awesome suggestions!

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously. There are almost no jeans that have room in the thighs and a strong taper.

I know Levi's models change between US and Europe, but there's a 520 Extreme Taper jeans over here. They're also a bit drop crotch. Not cropped, though.

Japan Blue High Taper pretty fits that description unless you want HUGE thighs. They almost taper too much for me (size 31 has a 6.75" cuff opening)

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like both (those sprezz guys are SF members), but have been wanting to start our traveling account again - but seriously, some of you guys take worse pictures than Fok does. 

Even so, let's do it. Want to host? Get at me, or at @StyleforumRobot

I might be down.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those opening pieces with the weird hips look a little different in 3D. The hips project forward, and I believe whole thing creates an arched shape like the person is sucking her stomach and kinda leaning forward. Looks as awkward as it sounds. Awful.

The outerwear was best to me. The parkas, the leather, and the trench that opened at the collar are constructed that way to mimic the shape of Balenciaga's opera coats. Thought that was pretty cool, turning a kinda ugly ski jacket into an updated opera coat that actually looks great.

Dries and Yohji were awesome, I thought. But what else is new.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Which balenciaga opera coat?

I think he meant how the coats hung off the shoulders like opera coats or shawls.

Some of the pieces were indeed pretty ugly, but I still loved the outerwear and reconstructed floral dresses.

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Instagram, can someone recommend a few to follow? I'm just looking to fill my feed with nice stuff. Clothes, architecture, art etc. Not so much food, I got enough of that.

I'm especially on the lookout for something like https://www.instagram.com/gabuccidonna , but without the parts that come with it being the official account for a womenswear store.

Women's fashion but without pencil skirts and bad quotes about success maybe?

Reactionnaire

Reaction score
I'm on the fence about those off shoulder coats. I like the idea but I'm not sure why they are constructed with traditional "shoulders". They look like normal coats just worn really sloppily because of it. I suppose Demna is more of a deconstructionist than a minimalist so there's a reason he included the shoulders, but I'd like them more had they been built without them. The trench and leather jacket in particular would look fantastic imo. I like them from the front but from the side they don't look great. A lot of the other looks (the weird waisted ones) were mostly bad though.

Funny that the Vetements collection is the opposite: extreme shoulders. The 80's tried it and it didn't stick. Even Lady Gaga has tried it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads