1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. ghostface

ghostface Well-Known Member

yeah, this reference puzzled me at first, too. i think in our small corner of the fashion community, lemaire's relaxed/slightly oversized looks may stand in for the larger trend.

yeah, i agree that dressing according to algorithms is something that's always been around, and for good reason (even just to have some associations in your head about which things tend to go well with which other things, plus the subcultural-association stuff you mentioned). i'm not sure why choi claims that there is less risk-taking now-- i see an incredible variety of looks on a daily basis, including lots of weird stuff. if anything, i'd guess that there's more experimentation now.

but here's an hypothesis: the more time you spend looking at fashion stuff, especially online, the easier it is for you to see the "roots" of a given look-- to understand what it's referencing, even if the wearer might not-- and so the harder it is for you to be surprised by the clothing or styling choice someone has made. this would lead you to conclude that there is less risk-taking, when instead you're just more knowledgeable about what's going on.

fok and i have disagreed about this stuff before, but i suspect he sometimes likes dissonance for the sake of dissonance. i like weirdness and surprise, too, but it's relatively lower on the list of things i care about when it comes to styling.

totally agree. i should have specified that this one of the main things that bugs me about walking around soho or wherever: there's often less a sense of fun, ease, or humor as people go about their days wearing their cool clothes, and more a sense of self-serious exhibitionism.

but, to tie this back to my previous post, my hope is that once people wear their loose pants, and their droopy-shouldered coat, they'll be like, "hey, this feels nice. i'm having a better time than before!"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    4 people like this.
  2. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

I can't see how big coat/cropped trousers is on the same level as skinny jeans/Stans or OBCD/CPs/Clarks DBs or even full Rick. The first set is much better if only because that stuff (for men at least) isn't nearly as easy to find or as coveted, and no blogs/forums are recommending Kaftans or vintage oversized coats as part of a starter pack.

Regarding the article

- Dressing by algorithm is a necessary step for anyone learning to dress.

- Chasing trends is more of a social activity than aesthetic. Unknown designers don't provide cultural capital to the people in those kinds of circles. Likewise, different people relate differently to art. For example not everyone associate the music they listen to with what kind of person they are, or treat it as a reflection of their aesthetic taste. Sometimes it's about listening to what everyone else is listening to, or finding the next whatever before they blow up.

- Accusing others of dressing too conservatively is, imo, rarely a fair criticism, but I agree that it makes sense in the case of youth and street fashion that are supposed to be progressive. Blame the celebrities and whoever the arbiters are I guess. Edit: And blame vetements, who are committing fashion incest.

- People who are not very particular about fashion or don't have significant experience or are not geniuses or did not have aesthetic upbringings don't just magically acquire distinct and good taste. I wouldn't even agree that it's more admirable to achieve some post-fashion, post-trend enlightenment as opposed to always staying in the game. It's harder not to become jaded and cynical.

- Are we post-health-goth now? Cuz I think that's what I've been doing for a while, mostly so I don't have to carry a full set of gym clothes with me everywhere.

This is true. And also, to be pragmatic, it's much harder to put together incongruent stuff and come out looking good than copying what you see. People outside of the game "experiment" all the time by not caring about how they look.

1 person likes this.
  3. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I'm generally in the ghostface camp here, and i also agree that oversized coats + trousers just looks great, regardless of the current cycle.

However, I think there is a genuine concern with streetwear streatwear missing out on the influence it used to hold. That used to be such a huge pool for designers to pick up on, and now we risk two way incest in the way that designer wear is trickled down to streetwear as opposed to having that base of creativity that was the biggest influence on, say, early Rick.

2 people like this.
  4. Bussit

Bussit Well-Known Member

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

7. Bussit

Bussit Well-Known Member

@MGoCrimson

Ya, I need to hit up Costco for some popcorn when it's released.

8. venividivicibj

is there a reason why no US names/business yet? Are they saving them for something?

edit - reporter just said "wait for what is coming next" re: the US

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Yep. Wonder if any of the presidential candidates will be named

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone will be punished accordingly.

[10]

3 people like this.
  11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I can only answer for myself. I have no issue at all incorporating trendy items into my uniform, and allowing my uniform to evolve, so, I guess that, no, I never felt awkward when people dressed like me, or when I dressed somewhat like a lot of other people.

I like heavy leather, and I like denim, I like boots and busted up sneakers and I like looking like what I imagine a drifter in my image of route 66 might look like. I live in my own little world.

It should be noted that I look at instagram feeds and lookbooks and editorials nearly completely out of professional interests - I am interested in what is out there, what images are being create, and being fed to people, and because I no longer live near a major metropolis, I need to see what is going on. However, I don't personally follow any instagrams, tumblrs, whatever. I am completely bored by fashion blogs. I would much rather browse Yoox, with their shit styling. In fact, I prefer the shit styling, because that allows me to reimagine what a specific piece could look like. I like Greg's store for a slightly different, but related, reason. It is curiously incongruent, so I never get trapped into a specific look by over curation.

Put it this way - I am horrible at anagrams. If I am given the word "cinema", I will never be able to shake it to make the word "iceman". I think that most people, myself included, are the same with fashion. It's really hard to shake a specific image once it embeds into your mind, even when you have a lot of training/background. Which is why I generally find the most delightful things being worn by people who care about fashion, but who live in the middle of nowhere, where their environments don't force them into very specific boxes. It's typically much less polished, but it is, at least to me, much more interesting and likeable. When I moved here, I met a girl, a dance major, who dressed like a very typical "hipster" circa 2007 (because that's when I moved here.) She looked a lot like a lot of other denim era hipster girls in LA or Boston, or NYC, except that she wore a lot of Ed Hardy tees in a completely non-ironic way, and it looked great. I'm not sure that living on NYC, she could have done that, because she would have had the constant feedback of "Ed Hardy is terrible. Ed Hardy is terrible."

If I was to give people any advice, it would be "Stop being so fucking efficient with your life". Efficiency eventually leads to creative death. Some fucking Kondo-ing your life, and instead, embrace the chaos. Instead of reading your subscriptions here or following instagrams of people whose tastes you already like, allow yourself to wander randomly. If something catches your eye even a little bit, go and explore. Maybe it will turn out to be a total dead end - but it will not have been a wasted of your time.

5 people like this.
  12. venividivicibj

1 person likes this.
  13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

The problem with the bolded part is that you are just associating trendiness with social circles that you don't respect, whereas in reality, it's part of every social circle.

1 person likes this.
  14. Ragechester

Ragechester Well-Known Member

Anyone mention that @el Bert killed the SF instagram for the past week? That Acne leather [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

It's just people avoiding paying taxes, Does anybody really care about this?

16. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

17. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

dude you really need to read this https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160403-panama-papers-global-overview.html i don't think you understand the gravity of it, its really crazy.

corporations scamming money out of people left and right. cover ups. insurance claims defrauded. this is not chump change this is in the millions/billions.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

19. venividivicibj

20. venividivicibj

[​IMG]
    This isnt true either. Mexican/SAmerican Mafia/cartels laundering money. People using these corporations as ways of 'paying' other people (Russia). etc etc.

Also, this is 2.6 TERABYTES of data. That is ridiculous. Lrgest leak in history I believe.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.