1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

2. ChukkasOnHudson

ChukkasOnHudson Member

Thanks. Even more jealous now that they have the Ridgeway sole. How have you found them to perform, compared to the typical Dainite studded sole, in bad weather (rain, snow, slush)?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

My experience with the standard dainite is not good in the snow at all, in the rain its okay. The ridgeway on the other hand is ideal for the snow, slush and ice.

The only other sole that compares is the full commando or vibram, but they look terrible imo.

Ridgeway is the way to go.

DL-

4. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Whoa David,

Someone should buy those Tetburys from you. Thats a good price, especially with a best offer option.

I'm afraid we are dead in the water with the Snowdon project. Only about 5 out of 12 people wanted to join though they would be amazing Winter boots. We also planned adding a toe cap as a cool touch.

5. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Commando also has a tendency to pick up gravel and shit in the heel, which ridgeway does not.

6. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

+1
    Ridgeway/Medway soles are great for snow and slush. Makes the shoe/boot look decidedly country/casual though.
    How you walk in the snow/hardened ice matters a lot as well (as I found out after several falls in snowy minneapolis) - the key is to take shorter strides and keep your center of gravity slightly forward (probably obvious to most, but I thought I should mention that!)

7. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

I haven't given up yet. If we don't have a list filled and submitted to the factory by summer's end, I plan on just placing a single MTO with Lauren for this and figure out the reasoning why they won't add the shearling collar. I'd like to think that after seeing how much of my money they have taken, that they would oblige that request [​IMG]

8. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Good shout 68B, I'd grant that in a flash!

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Lots of good deals on C&J in B&S right now...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  10. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

11. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  12. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I'm really trying to save money! But at that price, it's crazy tempting.

13. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Well-Known Member

I am afraid I only like ridgeway, Medway or commando sole , I am not a great fan of the Dainite sole!

14. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

So I spoke with C&J NYC today. Their resoling service costs $210, has no tax and includes shipping back and forth to the UK. Boots will be resoled on the original lasts and you can choose any sole you want. Sounds great to me, so I think I'm going to get my new (to me) dark brown Harlechs Ridgewayed!

15. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Sweet idea. Please be sure to post pics - very curious to see how those come out.

16. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Cool, good to know. My Wicklows are "Ridgewayed" and I think it's a great sole for a boot. I'm sure your Harlech's will turn out great with that sole!

17. sleepyinsanfran

Would appreciate any thoughts on the instep/heel width of the C&J 337 last (Compared to C&J 325/335 or EG 82/64 or Alden Barrie/Plaza). Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  18. gr789

gr789 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bangor with dainite sole. Just enough traction for winter, just enough for slacks and tie for meetings.

19. sleepyinsanfran

Nice. Those are some beefy as$kickers!