• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've recently bought my first CJ pair. The Black Alex. But I was under the impression UK and US were .5 to 1 size apart. So when I went in to CJ store in Manhattan and was told I was a 9E in UK sizing, I chalked it up to a CJ-specific thing. Only today did I think to pull out an American shoe in the size I usually order stateside: The AE Woodstock. Granted one's an oxford and the other a loafer but I decided to compare them both heel-to-heel anyhow. Um so the Alex UK 9E was about an inch longer than the AE 11.5!!! That makes the difference, even with allowance for style variation, closer to 3 sizes difference. Every chart I've read online goes no farther than a one-inch difference between US and UK sizing. Has anyone else noticed this? Does CJ in fact have a sizing all their own, independent from universal UK sizing? How many shoe sales have I missed in Europe because I thought I was outside the realm of sizes on sale? Some sweet Carminas come to mind, for example.

@RBNYC - first off please use normal sized font. the large font was terribly irritating.

second, their sizing is very different from the standard UK sizes you find in other brands such as G&G, EG, Churchs, etc.

I would recommend trying on C&J's before purchasing them as their sizes are quite different.

For example, in US sizes I am generally a 12D which translates to me being a UK11.5E in most brands. However, with C&J in the 348 Last I am a 10.5 and in other C&J lasts I am an 11.

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, tanks Gianni. I'm blnid noow.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi
I've recently bought my first CJ pair. The Black Alex. But I was under the impression UK and US were .5 to 1 size apart. So when I went in to CJ store in Manhattan and was told I was a 9E in UK sizing, I chalked it up to a CJ-specific thing. Only today did I think to pull out an American shoe in the size I usually order stateside: The AE Woodstock. Granted one's an oxford and the other a loafer but I decided to compare them both heel-to-heel anyhow. Um so the Alex UK 9E was about an inch longer than the AE 11.5!!! That makes the difference, even with allowance for style variation, closer to 3 sizes difference. Every chart I've read online goes no farther than a one-inch difference between US and UK sizing. Has anyone else noticed this? Does CJ in fact have a sizing all their own, independent from universal UK sizing? How many shoe sales have I missed in Europe because I thought I was outside the realm of sizes on sale? Some sweet Carminas come to mind, for example.

Rules of thumb are not science, but many find they can safely adhere to them.

Amount of variance between one's US TTS:

C&J full size down
JL full size down
EG 1/2 size down

RBNYC

Reaction score
Rules of thumb are not science, but many find they can safely adhere to them.

Amount of variance between one's US TTS:

C&J full size down
JL full size down
EG 1/2 size down

Normally, I'd agree. And this is what I've believed until the heel-to-heel thing. No 9 should be longer than any 11. This is really gonna mess with this feeling I always have of knowing everything! :p

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measure heel to ball-of-foot, not heel to toe.
Toe shape/length does not influence fit much.

RBNYC

Reaction score
Oh wow! Now, see. THAT makes sense to me. Thanks, I'll start doing that from now on.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Example
358 8.5e
modified 8.5 B/D
001 9.5 (E?)

this is by no means an exact science but just to show approx how different lasts fit.
8.5 358 is longer than 9.5 001 is longer than 8.5 modified, for example.
Also, measuring the outside of the shoe won't give a good estimation of the inside measurements per se.
E.G. a stormwelted shoe will have a much less close edge trim making the outside measurements larger.

Here two 8.5e 341 lasts, one with a stormwelt and one with a normal welt; I guess you can see how the boot has larger outside measurements.

imw88yTl.png

UM6wG2nl.png

in the end... its about how the shoe fits. All the 'size conversion wisdom' in the world can't guarantee anything because there are two variables; the last and the foot.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@RBNYC
- first off please use normal sized font. the large font was terribly irritating.

second, their sizing is very different from the standard UK sizes you find in other brands such as G&G, EG, Churchs, etc.

I would recommend trying on C&J's before purchasing them as their sizes are quite different.

For example, in US sizes I am generally a 12D which translates to me being a UK11.5E in most brands. However, with C&J in the 348 Last I am a 10.5 and in other C&J lasts I am an 11.

Same here, I'm a US9.5D Alden, 9 in EG & Carmina and 8 in C&J 348 last.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on the 341 last today and it is similar to the 348. It's a great last for a low instep (think Simpson last from Carmina)..

I also tried the 240 (BB last), and there was a lot of room in the vamp. Definitely ideal for high insteps (think Rain last).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads