• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the up charge for MTO?

Thanks in advance.

Depends entirely on what you want to do and how much you want to change the design of the shoe...

that being said...its prob gonna be at least $350-400 and up for even the most basic MTO.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be up for a dark brown Belgrave MTO if anyone ever wants to.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Alden thread to compare the shape/color of my recently purchased C&J Islay to my other Alden boots (Left to Right):
  • Alden Cigar captoe with commando sole on Grant last - US9D (Alden DC - picked this up off B&S before I figured out my true size)
  • Alden Cigar Indy with commando sole on Trubalance last - US8D (J. Gilbert)
  • Dark Brown Scotch Grain C&J Islay with dainite sole on 365 last - UK7E
  • Alden #8 captoe with commando sole on Grant last - US8.5D (Alden DC)

q8eu.jpg

A little late commenting on this but I have to say that those Islays look incredible! I'm interested in how you sized them, though. A full size down from your Trubalance and 1.5 down from the Grant. Is TTS 8.5D for you?

Do you have any other C&J boots? Like maybe the Harlechs or Conistons? Did you get them in a 7E also?

I will buy the Islays at some point and not sure when I'll get the chance to try them on so interested in your feedback.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A little late commenting on this but I have to say that those Islays look incredible!  I'm interested in how you sized them, though.  A full size down from your Trubalance and 1.5 down from the Grant.  Is TTS 8.5D for you?

Do you have any other C&J boots?  Like maybe the Harlechs or Conistons?  Did you get them in a 7E also?

I will buy the Islays at some point and not sure when I'll get the chance to try them on so interested in your feedback.

I'm probably closer to a TTS 8.25D. I've owned/tried on a few C&J shoes/boots on the 325 last in the past including the RL Marlow and BB Coniston both in US8.5D. Might have been able to go down to US8 as neither fit me right (sloppy in heel and tight in the fore foot) so I sold/returned them.

After asking on this thread about sizing the Islay, I got various advice to either go down a half or full size. Fortunately, I was in Paris last week so I contacted the C&J store beforehand if they had a 7E and 7.5E in stock. The 7E fit me much better and I liked that the 365 last had more room in the toe box.

If you don't have a chance to try them then one suggestion I received is to order online from Barney's and return the one that doesn't fit. Good luck.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably closer to a TTS 8.25D. I've owned/tried on a few C&J shoes/boots on the 325 last in the past including the RL Marlow and BB Coniston both in US8.5D. Might have been able to go down to US8 as neither fit me right (sloppy in heel and tight in the fore foot) so I sold/returned them.

After asking on this thread about sizing the Islay, I got various advice to either go down a half or full size. Fortunately, I was in Paris last week so I contacted the C&J store beforehand if they had a 7E and 7.5E in stock. The 7E fit me much better and I liked that the 365 last had more room in the toe box.

If you don't have a chance to try them then one suggestion I received is to order online from Barney's and return the one that doesn't fit. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. The recommendation for Barneys is a good one, although one can save some by buying direct from C&J on Jermyn St. But probably not enough to make up for the ease of dealing with Barneys.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of Barney's, watch out for their sales. They had random C&J models for $249 + free shipping.

They had the highbury and a Chelsea for that price.

Last edited:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info.  The recommendation for Barneys is a good one, although one can save some by buying direct from C&J on Jermyn St.  But probably not enough to make up for the ease of dealing with Barneys.

I think using Barney's was also for nailing down your size. Easier to return than sending back to the UK...

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little late commenting on this but I have to say that those Islays look incredible! I'm interested in how you sized them, though. A full size down from your Trubalance and 1.5 down from the Grant. Is TTS 8.5D for you?

Do you have any other C&J boots? Like maybe the Harlechs or Conistons? Did you get them in a 7E also?

I have both the Harlech and the Islays in size 9E. The 341 of the Harlech is probably the best fitting RTW last for my rather wide feet, and I'm very pleased with those. Even though I have rather wide feet, I consider the Islays very roomy and I think they're made for wearing with thick winter socks.

Cheers,
SKM

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

Depends entirely on what you want to do and how much you want to change the design of the shoe...

that being said...its prob gonna be at least $350-400 and up for even the most basic MTO.

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to hear. Definitely out of my budget.

RBNYC

Reaction score
Hi
I've recently bought my first CJ pair. The Black Alex. But I was under the impression UK and US were .5 to 1 size apart. So when I went in to CJ store in Manhattan and was told I was a 9E in UK sizing, I chalked it up to a CJ-specific thing. Only today did I think to pull out an American shoe in the size I usually order stateside: The AE Woodstock. Granted one's an oxford and the other a loafer but I decided to compare them both heel-to-heel anyhow. Um so the Alex UK 9E was about an inch longer than the AE 11.5!!! That makes the difference, even with allowance for style variation, closer to 3 sizes difference. Every chart I've read online goes no farther than a one-inch difference between US and UK sizing. Has anyone else noticed this? Does CJ in fact have a sizing all their own, independent from universal UK sizing? How many shoe sales have I missed in Europe because I thought I was outside the realm of sizes on sale? Some sweet Carminas come to mind, for example.

CharlesQ

Reaction score
Looks like a Tetbury in a 325 last for the Japanese market? Paul Smith have a collaboration with John Lobb for their oxfords.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both the Harlech and the Islays in size 9E. The 341 of the Harlech is probably the best fitting RTW last for my rather wide feet, and I'm very pleased with those. Even though I have rather wide feet, I consider the Islays very roomy and I think they're made for wearing with thick winter socks.

Cheers,
SKM

Thanks for your input. It sounds like you maybe could size down a 1/2 for the Islays if you didn't wear thick socks. I don't often wear thick socks so maybe the 365 last of the Islays might require sizing down a half from the equivalent 341 or 325 last. Although I do find the 325 last roomier than the 341 last. When I'm ready, I might just go the Barneys route rather than trying to save a few pennies by taking a chance ordering from Jermyn St.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. It sounds like you maybe could size down a 1/2 for the Islays if you didn't wear thick socks. I don't often wear thick socks so maybe the 365 last of the Islays might require sizing down a half from the equivalent 341 or 325 last. Although I do find the 325 last roomier than the 341 last. When I'm ready, I might just go the Barneys route rather than trying to save a few pennies by taking a chance ordering from Jermyn St.
I went down .5 (barrie and Viberg 2030 sizing) and it worked well from me. I ordered two sizes from Barney's figuring I would return which ever did not work. Given the recent surge of ordering I have been doing I am going to return them but they are high on my list for next season; great boot!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads