1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. griffon_id

griffon_id Well-Known Member

I'd like to seek your opinion, advise : should a thin player of rubber sole apply to C&J hand grade shoe? I am here in Hong Kong with kinda humid climate some times, and I will have to commute through subway to go to work. How many of you guys have situation like this, and is rubber sole a taboo here?

2. nutcracker

nutcracker Well-Known Member

If you're afraid of slipping, get another pair of shoes with rubber soles

Unless you're C&J handgrades's rendenbach soles are already worn bad, I wouldnt do it. I've worn my C&J Belgrave in an equally wet climate of Taipei for years with no problem

3. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Hehe, the main people for whom a rubber sole is generally 'taboo' are people who drive everywhere and get relatively less wear on their shoes and boots...

I've a cover sole on my Skyes as I appreciate (and need) the better traction when I'm walking. I can, however, understand why people might be reluctant to putting one on their handgrades. I'll cross that bridge if I ever decide to get a pair but at the moment I've no pull towards that.

4. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Well-Known Member

Sweet. I've been pondering options short of a complete resole for when I order a pair of Skyes. I'm back and forth between Alaska and the Pacific Northwest here in the US and leather soles don't work well for me, I have a pair of leather soled Aldens from last year that have yet to see any wear. Hopefully they get some mileage this summer.

Also, when I googled pictures of the Skye some of your pics from the superfuture forum popped up and I discovered the " shoes that look better with age thread". So thanks for that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

6. hanskl

hanskl Well-Known Member

C&J charges £60 for a factory resole to dainite

7. jvc44

jvc44 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever try Meltonian Leather Balm on their cordovan boots or shoes? Results? Thanjs

8. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

You'll get to see a lot more of my footwear in that thread - a lot of the stuff I wear is older English-made stuff as well as the C&J boots I post in here...

Is that dealing directly with the factory? Last time I spoke to anyone about this, I seem to remember being quoted £115 for a factory resole and £90 for a resole of any non-C&J pair.

These were prices quoted by the Birmingham shop, for shoes and boots dropped off there with them handling all transportation. They use Koko's in London for the non-Crocketts stuff.

9. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

10. kwhunter

kwhunter Well-Known Member

Because of the import duty; I bought from Bodileys before but now I buy from C&J directly from the UK since they have the products in stock and believe it or not they have better prices; and the service is awesome.

11. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

Do you have a price list for C&J in England? I only have a booklet for the NY shop. I didn't realize the UK store would ship to me.

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

For Benchgrade I think they start at GBP 320 - VAT as long as prices were not raised.

13. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

wow, so these things are going for about $400 without VAT??

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Well, closer to $470 if you include shipping and CC fees for international transactions. Still better than getting it locally.

15. kwhunter

I don't have a price list, I email them and ask; and compare to the online sellers.
    But considering that the wait time is 0 in most cases, it's well worth it.

16. kwhunter

They are going for about GBP400, yes.

17. EBugatti

EBugatti Well-Known Member

That's why I buy from Bodileys. No import duties and free shipping. Do you think the lower price from the C&J store makes it worthwhile? They charge shipping and I'm not sure they will help you around the import duties. What's your experience?

18. kwhunter

Import duty is a hit or miss thing...
    and make no mistake, shipping is not free, you have paid for it.
    C&J charge for shipping, bodileys don't but thair price is a tad higher than C&J, shipping inclusive.

19. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

PM me your email and I can send you the price list.

20. meister

meister Well-Known Member