• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks much better for larger sizes... it just wasn't right for 7E. :)

There is some truth in this. I wear a 12D and think the elongated, chiseled toe of the 348 last looks clownish on my feet, whereas the 240 last looks pretty sleek in that size for such a rounded toe.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
how about boots?
Better than shoes, in my book, although even then I'd avoid a glossy finish on the leather as it creates a texture clash with the denim, leaving a formal aftertaste to an essentially casual look. That's why I de-shined the Coniston from a page or two back as they looked great for work (business casual) but were getting no wear outside of the office.

Textured and/or waxy leathers are my preference with denim, which is why my preference would be overtly 'country' boots over a dressier option:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see where you're going, but I don't agree. I love wearing my C&J Lowndes with almost a mirror shine on the toes with my A.P.C.s. Yes, it's a clash of formality, but one must know the rules to break them.

marmottan

Reaction score
leather vs suede: 2 - 0

^ thanks :)
dijor,
Go for the suede. In my opinion, it perfectly fits with denims.
If you're a student, the leather one with its gold buckle might appear too formal on a daily routine.

Hope it helps.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Yes, it's a clash of formality, but one must know the rules to break them.

With all due respect, that line is trotted out to justify absolutely anything and everything, meaning that the 'rules' are pointless anyway. A clash is a clash, and most times this will jar in the minds others who don't give a fiddler's fart as to whether these mystical rules are being followed or not. Very few people are capable of creating a non-discordant 'clash' in their clothing...if you're one of these, then I take my hat off to you and offer my apologies!

LeJouvre

Reaction score
how about boots?

Well, I don't understand all those big words people are using to criticize the look of those Galways with those jeans, but I think it would be hard to beat that look.

I am not so keen on the turn up cuff tho, but then, that's just me.

The boots look great Namor, adds class and loads of testosterone to a casual look.

nest.gif

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fully agree that polished leather is not coherent with the rugged look of jeans with regards to their level of formality, but does everything always have to be fully coherent to be used together? I'm not saying that one should use their boat shoes with a tux, but regular leather and jeans are pretty standard and often looks good IMO.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Well, I don't understand all those big words people are using to criticize the look of those Galways with those jeans, but I think it would be hard to beat that look.

I am not so keen on the turn up cuff tho, but then, that's just me.

The boots look great Namor, adds class and loads of testosterone to a casual look.

nest.gif

The Galways are a class act and they do indeed look good with those jeans which is why I used my own EG veldts to illustrate my point...maybe my Snowdons would have been more appropriate in this thread, though!

I fully agree that polished leather is not coherent with the rugged look of jeans with regards to their level of formality, but does everything always have to be fully coherent to be used together? I'm not saying that one should use their boat shoes with a tux, but regular leather and jeans are pretty standard and often looks good IMO.
Fully coherent? No, definitely not and I agree totally.. Clashing and drawing attention to one part of your outfit? To be avoided.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Glad we could sort of agree.
satisfied.gif

That's a relief, because those Galways cost heaps of pounds Stirling, I would hate to ask Namor to trade them in on a pair of suede leather veldschoens just to match the texture of his Levis

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, he should just throw them in the bin now. My bin.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is some truth in this. I wear a 12D and think the elongated, chiseled toe of the 348 last looks clownish on my feet, whereas the 240 last looks pretty sleek in that size for such a rounded toe.

The 348 definitely hits the sweet sleek spot. The 341 is a better conservative balance for me compared to the 240. Awesome shine though! It's like a shell tipped shoe... hmmm, that's an idea! :embar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads