• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commodore Mark

Reaction score

I would go the Tissot myself. You can never go wrong with a Tissot.

In general, I'd definitely take Tissot over Victorinox.  But to be honest I don't especially like the style of the one you posted.  My answer would be "neither"!  What's your budget, and are there any elements that appeal to you in particular?  SF is always happy to try to spend other people's money better - let us suggest some other options?

Thank you for your replies. I like Tissot's quality for the price. I just haven't found the perfect Tissot for me. I like the PRC200 but even the one I posted is a bit of a compromise.

I would love some help spending my money! :)
I'm looking for a Swiss automatic watch that I can wear with casual to business professional attire. I want a round stainless or titanium case that is between 39mm and 42mm in diameter and no more than 12mm in thickness. The bezel and lugs should be unobtrusive. The crystal should be sapphire with an anti-reflective coating. It should be water resistant to at least 30 meters. I want a simple design with no to minimal complications; eg, date function only. I want it to be elegant but understated. I strongly prefer the face to have Arabic numerals with sticks and I want at least a 12 and 6. I want a brown leather band. Lastly, it must be easy to read the time at a glance.

I'm open to a used watch in excellent condition or a new one. I have a psychological "limit" of $500 because I just can't see myself spending more than $500 for an everyday watch but could be convinced to go higher for the "right" one.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would love some help spending my money!

You're in the right place! I get you entirely on the Tissot. In this price range, I'm an unashamed Tissot fanboi. For $3-500, they make some really tidy, classic dress watches that I would be very happy to wear. I think in that respect, they have the edge. But like you, I don't see one that meets your criteria exactly. The Visodate as Oli said, or some of the T-Sport range, might be in the zone.

We were talking a bit about pilot watches, above. Your requirement for a mix of Arabic numerals and sticks is unusual, so perhaps thinking laterally, a pilot might work? It kind of has both. This one from Laco is in your price range, and aside from being slightly thicker (12.8mm), seems to tick all the boxes at about $450:

But only if you like the style. It's definitely at the casual end of the spectrum, and from your description, it seems it would get more use in that context.

Alternatively, using the pilot watch inspiration but diluted a little, are Hamilton's "Field Watches". Similar sizes and functions, but with other dial colours and with or without the day and date, all around the $450 mark. Like their Tissot stable mates, they use ETA movements and have a strong brand reputation, especially in the US.

I usually lean towards Tissot for the dressier watches, but for something more casual, I think these are pretty nice, especially if you do spend a lot more time in the casual look, and your business isn't that formal either.

But I think this is probably bang on the money - also from Hamilton. 40mm case while still 50m water resistant (as opposed to 42mm/100m for the others), Arabic numbers at the cardinal points and sticks the rest (plus a date), sapphire, automatic, brown leather strap and smart enough for business: Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. In your mostly-casual shoes, I think I'd go with the black dial. You should be able to find one just about the $500 mark.

flvinny521

Reaction score
I would love some help spending my money!
smile.gif

I'm looking for a Swiss automatic watch that I can wear with casual to business professional attire. I want a round stainless or titanium case that is between 39mm and 42mm in diameter and no more than 12mm in thickness. The bezel and lugs should be unobtrusive. The crystal should be sapphire with an anti-reflective coating. It should be water resistant to at least 30 meters. I want a simple design with no to minimal complications; eg, date function only. I want it to be elegant but understated. I strongly prefer the face to have Arabic numerals with sticks and I want at least a 12 and 6. I want a brown leather band. Lastly, it must be easy to read the time at a glance.

I'm open to a used watch in excellent condition or a new one. I have a psychological "limit" of $500 because I just can't see myself spending more than $500 for an everyday watch but could be convinced to go higher for the "right" one.

The Visodate is close, but missing a few features from your list. I have one and I love it, but you may have to keep looking if you're dead set on those specs.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
The Visodate is close, but missing a few features from your list. I have one and I love it, but you may have to keep looking if you're dead set on those specs.

Mine is my daily wearer. It's a great watch. Not the most expensive I own, but by far the most versatile.

Commodore Mark

Reaction score

The Tissot Visodate would fit that criteria.

Mine is my daily wearer. It's a great watch. Not the most expensive I own, but by far the most versatile.

You're in the right place! I get you entirely on the Tissot. In this price range, I'm an unashamed Tissot fanboi. For $3-500, they make some really tidy, classic dress watches that I would be very happy to wear. I think in that respect, they have the edge. But like you, I don't see one that meets your criteria exactly. The Visodate as Oli said, or some of the T-Sport range, might be in the zone.

We were talking a bit about pilot watches, above. Your requirement for a mix of Arabic numerals and sticks is unusual, so perhaps thinking laterally, a pilot might work? It kind of has both. This one from Laco is in your price range, and aside from being slightly thicker (12.8mm), seems to tick all the boxes at about $450: But only if you like the style. It's definitely at the casual end of the spectrum, and from your description, it seems it would get more use in that context.

Alternatively, using the pilot watch inspiration but diluted a little, are Hamilton's "Field Watches". Similar sizes and functions, but with other dial colours and with or without the day and date, all around the $450 mark. Like their Tissot stable mates, they use ETA movements and have a strong brand reputation, especially in the US.

I usually lean towards Tissot for the dressier watches, but for something more casual, I think these are pretty nice, especially if you do spend a lot more time in the casual look, and your business isn't that formal either.

But I think this is probably bang on the money - also from Hamilton. 40mm case while still 50m water resistant (as opposed to 42mm/100m for the others), Arabic numbers at the cardinal points and sticks the rest (plus a date), sapphire, automatic, brown leather strap and smart enough for business: Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. In your mostly-casual shoes, I think I'd go with the black dial. You should be able to find one just about the $500 mark.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think we have a winner. I really like the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. It meets every one of my "requirements." At first look, I wasn't in love with the guilloche dial but the more I gazed at photos, the more I liked it. The pattern is no so prominent in some other photos I have seen as in the one above. Here's an example:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I caved and bought this JeanRichard Terrascope on sale for $840, putting it in affordable category (it has since gone up to $1750). Anyways, it is bigger than any watch I've owned, but I only had to take 2 links out, putting my wrist at about 7.5" I think, so it should wear ok.

My concern is that it is almost too flashy with the white face. The bracelet is beveled to catch a lot of light and it shines like crazy. I was thinking of switching it put for a beige dial.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

My watch

Proposed swap

I may also buy some straps so make it look smaller. Here are how they look on straps

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good as-is to me. Mine is even more flashy a contrasting bezel and gold hands / markers but this isn't really meant to be a really low-key and subtle watch.

If you want to tone it down consider a strap in place of the bracelet.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good as-is to me. Mine is even more flashy a contrasting bezel and gold hands / markers but this isn't really meant to be a really low-key and subtle watch.

If you want to tone it down consider a strap in place of the bracelet.
Thanks, looking at strap on white makes me like the white more. At this price it's such a great deal, I really can't say that enough. The finish work is fantastic, the difference between this and most of the other high-end watches is the lack of in-house movement, which I could care less about.

I'm tempted to pick another one after the holidays, something like yours. Ashford has a couple similar ones that are quite interesting.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got that Orient Mako (the broke man's automatic watch) back into action.

(Apologies for giant thumb print.)

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How easy it to learn how to change watch batteries?

Boyd

Reaction score

We were talking a bit about pilot watches, above. Your requirement for a mix of Arabic numerals and sticks is unusual, so perhaps thinking laterally, a pilot might work? It kind of has both. This one from Laco is in your price range, and aside from being slightly thicker (12.8mm), seems to tick all the boxes at about $450:

But only if you like the style. It's definitely at the casual end of the spectrum, and from your description, it seems it would get more use in that context.

What's the name of the first pilot watch?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics