1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Well-Known Member

A well made watch (like your Hamilton) will have some shock and magnetic protection by design. Personally I never worry about it and just engage in my normal activities. Unless you are running a jackhammer or work around very strong magnets, there should be no issues.

1 person likes this.
  2. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Well-Known Member

So I've been looking for a watch in the style of this Tissot Le Locle for awhile now. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some alternatives before I pull the trigger. The Tissot is really close to what I want but I have a small wrist and 39 mm is too large for a dress watch on me, imo. I'm really attracted to the roman numerals, the font, and the hand style on it. Sapphire is definitely a plus too. Most of the Seikos I've seen in a similar style seem to be quartz.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I like the Seiko presage line, which has something that looks almost identical but is equally big or bigger at 40 mm x 13mm.

[​IMG]

4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Slightly smaller in the same genre would be the Hamilton Intra-Matic, Mido Multifort, and Certina DS range - all 38mm. Mido also do the Baroncelli as small as 33mm, and there is the Longines Presence at 34mm. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but all of these are from the same Swatch family, with similar Swiss ETA movements. I was looking them up at Jomashop, where they're all on sale at 4-500ish. The Longines is gold-plated and $800 something.

If you shop around a little more widely, and can go up to the top of the PMW range towards $1k, then there is also the Longines Conquest at 35mm - nice classic styling.

Outside the world of Swatch, $1k gets you a Laco Marine 36mm, which is a very nice looking watch. More quirky is the one-handed Meistersinger Neo 2Z range at 36mm too. My personal pick would be the Stowa Antea "Back to Bauhaus" - 35.5mm manual or 36.5mm automatic, or the Nomos Ludwig 35mm can be had for about the same price on Chrono24. That's a lot of brand cred, and independent watchmaking integrity, for the money.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    2 people like this.
  5. Charhan1

Charhan1 Well-Known Member

At the lower end of PMWs there is the 38mm Sea-Gull M186S - currently going for $115 [​IMG]

6. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

Hey, guys! I've been wanting a good dress watch for a while but I wanted to do some research first before indulging. The Tissot Visodate was on my wish list for the longest but I think it's a little too big. I was also leaning towards a Vintage watch like the Seiko Lord Marvel but I feel like maybe I should start slow and start with something less risky since I'm a novice.

With that said, I just placed an order for a Seiko SARB035 and I'm very excited and can't wait. I also ordered a Hirsch strap as I can't stand the look of bracelets. Thanks to all of you who ask questions and share your knowledge on this thread.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Don Murray

Don Murray Member

Just today I had decided to give up the thought of buying the Alpinist (I've been considering it for a while). Thought it probably wouldn't suit my style, which is not in the least outdoorsy. But seeing your pictures is making me reconsider, and I am going to Japan next month...

1 person likes this.
  8. SJR3

SJR3 Active Member

Thanks for the reassurance. :nodding:

Hope you get yours fixed soon! Do you know what's wrong with it?

So my Hamilton gains about 6 seconds a day (comparing it with my iPhone time). Would be nice if it was a little more accurate, but I gather that this is in the acceptable range for a mechanical watch in this category, no? I can definitely live with it, and I much prefer a watch to run fast rather than slow. Any chance it will get more accurate as it "breaks in"?

9. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

What kind of straps do you like with your gold dress watches? I currently have an unpadded lizard grain calf strap in black, and have a proper lizard coming soon, as well as a black unpadded croc. Still don't feel it quite works. Suggestions?

10. New Shoes1

Great choice! I'm on the fence about picking up the exact same watch and throwing it on a leather strap as well.

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

I think it is the Main Spring again. I've had an issue in the past with it and had it repaired and it's in disrepair again.

That is almost Chronometer spec without it being a Chronometer. Assuming you take the watch off you should try laying it a different away, e.g., crown up or dial down rather than dial up, when it is off your wrist. It may counteract the speeding up

1 person likes this.
  12. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    2 people like this.
  13. jeffdeist

jeffdeist Well-Known Member

The SNKL23 is no longer $75, more like $130 on Amazon. Still a great bargain. I own and love the SNKL41, which like the 23 features a 4 o'clock crown and the dressier dauphine hands. With an off-white face it's a poor man's SARB035 (which I also own and love). SNKL43 is the same watch as the 41, but with a beautiful blue dial. And the SNKL45 is again the same watch but with a black face and an offsetting red sweep second hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNKL23...rd_wg=0LhdQ&psc=1&refRID=62RCSAFV84DRA0TPC0E9

1 person likes this.
  14. dfwcowboy

It might get more or less accurate. Some people also have various strategies as far as which direction to place the watch when you aren't wearing it to make it run faster or slower, so you might try placing the crown up or down or level at night and see if that makes a difference. You should also check it over a few days rather than once per day as it might run slower or faster on some days depending on what you are doing. 6 secs per day isn't bad really. That's as good as my Rolex ever got. I've had some mechanical watches that were more in the 30 sec per day range. My Seiko SARB is off about 4 secs per month, but I got very lucky and got a great copy.

1 person likes this.
  15. dfwcowboy

I love my SARB035. I'm wearing it right now. I originally had a Hodinkee cordovan strap for it, but went back to the bracelet as I rather like it.

16. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

So many wonderful Seikos that would benefit from a no-date version. If only!

2 people like this.
  17. New Shoes1

You should check out the Sarx033 and 35 if you like wearing it on the bracelet. A little big at 41 mm, but a highly upgraded bracelet, dial and case.

18. dfwcowboy

I don't mind wearing a watch with a strap, it's just I find the bracelet on my SARB worth having. I like the Presage line, but there's a few other Seikos I'd get before I went that route. A titanium diver or the Alpinist are on my short list.

19. dalevy

dalevy Well-Known Member

20. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

I'll post some pictures once I receive it next week. Hopefully, they'll push you over the edge. LOL