• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
From a mechanical point of view I'd say it's one step below the other oriental watches such as Seiko and Orient.

But I really don't care because the price is absolutely fair and it looks great. I realized it's really hard to find good classic design in the PMW category, where most manufacturers seem to create something "new" to offer to the customers, forgetting about the good old classics. I love the Sea-Gull design, which reminds me of much more expensive timepieces. I also love the (very simple) night-day feature. I only don't understand why it comes with a black leather strap, when a brown one would look much better. It's however a very easy and cheap change that you can do after buying it (and I definitely will).

If Seiko's value for money is 9/10, Sea-Gull is surely around 7/10.

Ok, good to know! I requested a brown leather strap when I ordered it -- from I understand most of the distributors offer either, you just have to make your request known when you order. So hopefully mine will arrive with a brown strap!

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even so, it shouldn't stop like that. Sounds like it needed looking over. You could have also just wound the watch every so often, too.

Correct. You shouldn't need to keep windmilling your arms about - very small movements of arm and wrist should be sufficient. Did the owner maybe not give the watch a decent wind before wearing? I've owned more automatics than I can recall - contemporary and vintage - and never had this problem unless something was broken. Like the rotor.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Correct.  You shouldn't need to keep windmilling your arms about - very small movements of arm and wrist should be sufficient.  Did the owner maybe not give the watch a decent wind before wearing?  I've owned more automatics than I can recall - contemporary and vintage - and never had this problem unless something was broken.  Like the rotor.

+1

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sprezz: What do you think of the Seagull? I just saw it the other day and decided I wanted it badly (albeit in gold), so I went ahead and ordered it. It seems very new -- can't find many comments about it. Hopefully mine will be here in a couple weeks!
That is a very elegant watch. Beautiful.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
I love Seagull watches, have had a few. Currently have a Prometheus that has a Seagull movement in it. Never any complaints. I don't think they get the respect they deserve.

Yeah -- I'm curious about this one specifically. It's less expensive than some of the others and has a "lesser" movement in it (ST16). I'm not particularly well versed in what the will mean for the watch itself.

Grayland: My thoughts exactly! Mine has shipped so I'll make sure to add some "in-the-wild" photos once I receive it.

Sprezziamo

Reaction score
I can't make sense of that watch - it has chronograph pushers, but doesn't have chronograph registers (day/month/moonphase instead of hour/minute/constant seconds). What gives?

Upper button: Day

Crown: Time and #day

Lower button: Month

Again, not a great watch movement-wise, but a superb one aesthetically.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Well, I'll have to differ on the aesthetics - I just find I can't get past the cognitive dissonance of a watch that looks like a chronograph, but isn't. Recessed pushers would have been a better choice for day / month setting. Less convenient, but not the least bit odd-looking. Not knocking the brand - they do turn out some beautiful looking watches - but this one I would pass on without pause.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Well, I'll have to differ on the aesthetics - I just find I can't get past the cognitive dissonance of a watch that looks like a chronograph, but isn't. Recessed pushers would have been a better choice for day / month setting. Less convenient, but not the least bit odd-looking.

Not knocking the brand - they do turn out some beautiful looking watches - but this one I would pass on without pause.
Definitely agree with you, kind of an odd ball design with the chrono pushers.

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
anyone have any suggestions around 200 and under? Im leaning towards daniel wellington. It's minimal and aesthetically pleasing... but not sure about the movement.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone have any suggestions around 200 and under? Im leaning towards daniel wellington. It's minimal and aesthetically pleasing... but not sure about the movement.

What are you not sure about?

There is not a lot of difference on the inside between watches of this price range. They are either a quartz or a low cost mechanical movement. In that case if you like the looks of the DW, I would get it.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna put the call put again for any reviews of the Lip non-Tallon reissue watches, such as this one:

http://twistedtime.com/lip-type-18-churchill-chrome.html

If they're decently made they would make excellent choices for a conservative business dress watch. Anybody?

ErikW

Reaction score
"New" watch - Junkers 6434-2. Titanium case. Molnija ref 3603 hand wound movement. I believe 43mm (45 w/lugs), which is pushing it on my wrist. Anything larger and it would be too big. Now, to find a good strap...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tennesseean_87

Reaction score

I got my Skagen that looks pretty similar for $40. Use the rest of the money for straps.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads