• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theSufferfest

Reaction score
Hey! I just stumbled across this site, and I have to say this is the bested thread ever in the history of the interwebs. For my first post:

Inspired by the watches posted here, I've been thinking of buying a Seiko 5, white or blue face, with the idea of replacing the bracelet w a tan/brown leather one. Can anyone enlighten me with regards to which of the 5s use a 20mm strap? Some of the product descriptions on line differ for the same models. I know most 5s use an 18mm, but I think there are more choices for replacement straps for 20mm. Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Madmanden

Reaction score
Personally I think this Pulsar is pretty nice:

Frl7F.jpg

http://www.mastersintime.com/us/en/pulsar-ps9039-ps9039x1.htm

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score

Hey! I just stumbled across this site, and I have to say this is the bested thread ever in the history of the interwebs.  For my first post:

Inspired by the watches posted here, I've been thinking of buying a Seiko 5, white or blue face, with the idea of replacing the bracelet w a tan/brown leather one.  Can anyone enlighten me with regards to which of the 5s use a 20mm strap? Some of the product descriptions on line differ for the same models.  I know most 5s use an 18mm, but I think there are more choices for replacement straps for 20mm.  Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

A lot of the dressier ones use the 18mm. There might be more selection for 20mm, but the good news is 99% of the time you can squeeze a 20mm strap into an 18mm watch and it usually looks fine.

Lucan

Reaction score
Hey! I just stumbled across this site, and I have to say this is the bested thread ever in the history of the interwebs. For my first post:

Inspired by the watches posted here, I've been thinking of buying a Seiko 5, white or blue face, with the idea of replacing the bracelet w a tan/brown leather one. Can anyone enlighten me with regards to which of the 5s use a 20mm strap? Some of the product descriptions on line differ for the same models. I know most 5s use an 18mm, but I think there are more choices for replacement straps for 20mm. Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

"theSufferfest" - you a fan or the great DMcQ himself?

kentyman

Reaction score

Thanks

Wow, you and I are in the exact same market. Good news is I've been doing some research and I have a list of candidates that I think might be 20mm. Bad news is I'm not done with my research, and pro'ly won't be able to complete it until next week. I'll be sure to let you know what I come up with, but until that please keep us informed on what you find!

theSufferfest

Reaction score
I think its nice too....I'm thinking of a slightly less dressy watch this go around though. thx

theSufferfest

Reaction score
Wow, you and I are in the exact same market. Good news is I've been doing some research and I have a list of candidates that I think might be 20mm. Bad news is I'm not done with my research, and pro'ly won't be able to complete it until next week. I'll be sure to let you know what I come up with, but until that please keep us informed on what you find!
Cool,I'm looking forward to your findings and will keep posting my own. In the meantime, does anyone have suggestions re straps? I figure spending $40 to $150 (though that would hurt). In addition to my quest for a white or blue Seiko, I have a few black dial watches that I am looking to re-band. I tend to use my s/s bracelet watches for the rare occasion I wear suits, so I am leaning towards a more casual, hand-made/ vintage look tan/brown leather. (I will post some pix of the watches soon to not confuse my 2 projects) So far:

http://www.kainheritage.com/strap20mm/veteranpilot.html
http://www.basandlokes.com/handmade-leather-watch-straps/

and of course

http://www.strappedfortime.com

am I missing any?

RefleX

Reaction score
I have the Orient Esteem Black/Rose Gold. I got it for $145 shipped. I think it's a great deal for an in house movement with 21 jewels.

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the dressier ones use the 18mm. There might be more selection for 20mm, but the good news is 99% of the time you can squeeze a 20mm strap into an 18mm watch and it usually looks fine.

I haven't had any luck pulling this off. Is there a trick?

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score

I haven't had any luck pulling this off. Is there a trick?

Not really... most materials, when speaking of rubber, leather, cloth, nylon, etc (just not metal bracelets obviously) should have plenty of 'squish factor' to them... put in the 18mm spring bar, put one of the tips into the lug on the watch, and squish the band and spring bar at the opposite side and finish putting on the spring bar. Only other thing I can think of is take some teeny tiny scissors and MAYBE trim a tiny bit of the width off the strap where the spring bar goes through, but that might look bad. That should only be a last resort... I've never had to do that because I can get it to fit. I don't have any 18mm watches but I've fit 22mm bands to 20mm watches, so, same thing.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

It's a BWAF movement, the highest quality watchmaker in China and all of Asia. They're not well known outside of China, but you can search the internet and watch forums. I'm willing to bet it's the best movement you will find in any watch less than $700 (twice the price of my watch).

They're not as well known as Seagull but the production quality is comparable to or even better than the finest Seagull movements. Unlike Seagull which produces both low-end to high-end products, BWAF only does high-end. They don't do OEM assembly for other brands like Seagull does and usually do not sell their movements either, so it was quite a coup to get these—my watch guy has good guanxi. The rotor is much smoother and the guilloche decoration is nicer as well.

Kent, BWAF definitely does private label production. Its their top-end tourbillons, the ones with 3 day power reserves and freesprung balances, that they dont sell to outsiders. They do have lower-end and mid-end models. Their SB-18 movement is one of the nicest handwound movements that China produces.

Kudos on the watch, definitely fits in with the Bauhaus theme!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads