• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo recommendation

digitone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
OK. I've never bought one at retail, and I only own one that I got at an outlet many years ago. The best thing about it is that the little polo guy is located down on the lower left hand side, so nobody notices it. I just checked the RL website and they are $50-55 on sale now. the ones with the GIANT PONY are more. That must be what all the cool people are wearing.

indeed
plain.gif

nightmair

Reaction score
I agree that the Brooks Brothers polo is some of the best on the market now for their price, the only problem is it has a slight tail.

Dan9019

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by sportin_life
RLBL's are nice and don't have a logo. They fit really similar to the PRL custom fit but have much better fabric. They also don't have a tail.
Any tips on how to get the RLBL polos for less than retail?

Originally Posted by brazboy
Just get the tail hemmed. I did it with all my RL polos, works fine.
Yeah, I'm going to do that with the ones I have.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a Polo shirt by band of outsiders makes pleasant shirts. The way they are made (on some type of sweet japenese looms) makes them very fade resistant, as well as helping them retain their shape through washing. I love both of mine, they look delightful, they are super comfortable, and they have held up well to a ton of use. Got mine at By George Austin, but Tresbien.us has them too.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan9019
Any tips on how to get the RLBL polos for less than retail?

The two ways I've seen to get anything RLBL (so I'll assume it applies to polos as well) are to buy them at an outlet store (unikely that you have a full RL outlet store near you, and not just a Polo Ralph Lauren outlet store) or an online vendor, or you can wait for a RL sale. One just passed by, but I think that someone mentioned they will have another come the end of summer.

That being said, on the cheap, I'd say J Crew polos are very nice, but if you're looking for top notch, RLBL is the way to go.

Avoid the typical Lacoste polo....everyone alive has one of those, and they are just logo bearing advertisements

Dan9019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearsfan172
The two ways I've seen to get anything RLBL (so I'll assume it applies to polos as well) are to buy them at an outlet store (unikely that you have a full RL outlet store near you, and not just a Polo Ralph Lauren outlet store) or an online vendor, or you can wait for a RL sale. One just passed by, but I think that someone mentioned they will have another come the end of summer. That being said, on the cheap, I'd say J Crew polos are very nice, but if you're looking for top notch, RLBL is the way to go. Avoid the typical Lacoste polo....everyone alive has one of those, and they are just logo bearing advertisements
Thanks, it appears there is a real RL outlet near me in Orlando, along with three of the polo RL ones.

enarchay

Reaction score
I saw some recommendations for Lands End on AAAC. I bought a couple the other day for really cheap. They seem pretty decent for the price. However, as seems to be a common annoyance, they have a slight tail.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
I second (third?) the recommendation for J Crew polos. I like the vintage polo; the fit is slim and the sleeves are a bit shorter. Great for the price.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I've had a lot of luck with Burberry slim fits, about the same price, no tail, and they're a little bit thinner fabric with a tiny logo.

Almost identical to the slim RL ones but with no tail would be the "Italian Fit" Lacoste ones, but they have a little logo of course.

Hope that helps!

wysiwyg

Reaction score
I can't recommend the J Crew polos, the couple I've had have both faded unfavorably, especially around the placket. My Lands' End polos have retained their color better and are cheaper. The mesh is a bit finer compared to the J Crew piques. No logo, but there's a slight tail.

hst

Reaction score
Lacoste Slim Fit fits quite well into what you want at the price range of $75-100 you indicated
smile.gif

I own 2 of them - and find them very comfortable to wear.

minervau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorial_marxist
BB's quality beats all

+1, though they have the tail, and the OP mentioned he didn't want that.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabric on J. Crew and Lands' End polos is noticeably worse than on RL polos.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn ... I was thinking you wanted to know where you can learn to play.

Newstyle

Reaction score
I have a few J. Crew vintage polos and they are perfect. Slim, no tennis tail, and pretty good quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics