1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Polo recommendation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dan9019, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Dan9019

Dan9019 Member

The two ways I've seen to get anything RLBL (so I'll assume it applies to polos as well) are to buy them at an outlet store (unikely that you have a full RL outlet store near you, and not just a Polo Ralph Lauren outlet store) or an online vendor, or you can wait for a RL sale. One just passed by, but I think that someone mentioned they will have another come the end of summer. That being said, on the cheap, I'd say J Crew polos are very nice, but if you're looking for top notch, RLBL is the way to go. Avoid the typical Lacoste polo....everyone alive has one of those, and they are just logo bearing advertisements
    Thanks, it appears there is a real RL outlet near me in Orlando, along with three of the polo RL ones.

2. enarchay

enarchay Well-Known Member

I saw some recommendations for Lands End on AAAC. I bought a couple the other day for really cheap. They seem pretty decent for the price. However, as seems to be a common annoyance, they have a slight tail.

3. MrAmbrose

MrAmbrose Member

I second (third?) the recommendation for J Crew polos. I like the vintage polo; the fit is slim and the sleeves are a bit shorter. Great for the price.

4. Mr. Sartorial

Mr. Sartorial Well-Known Member

I've had a lot of luck with Burberry slim fits, about the same price, no tail, and they're a little bit thinner fabric with a tiny logo.

Almost identical to the slim RL ones but with no tail would be the "Italian Fit" Lacoste ones, but they have a little logo of course.

Hope that helps!

5. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Well-Known Member

I can't recommend the J Crew polos, the couple I've had have both faded unfavorably, especially around the placket. My Lands' End polos have retained their color better and are cheaper. The mesh is a bit finer compared to the J Crew piques. No logo, but there's a slight tail.

6. hst

hst Well-Known Member

Lacoste Slim Fit fits quite well into what you want at the price range of $75-100 you indicated [​IMG]
    I own 2 of them - and find them very comfortable to wear.

7. minervau

minervau Well-Known Member

BB's quality beats all

+1, though they have the tail, and the OP mentioned he didn't want that.

8. bluemagic

bluemagic Well-Known Member

The fabric on J. Crew and Lands' End polos is noticeably worse than on RL polos.

9. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Damn ... I was thinking you wanted to know where you can learn to play.

10. Newstyle

Newstyle Well-Known Member

I have a few J. Crew vintage polos and they are perfect. Slim, no tennis tail, and pretty good quality.

11. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

How about polo shirts with stiffer collars? All of mine have the "Seinfield collar" on them. Hence, I stick to dress shirts for anything more formal than going to the store.

12. Petrus1

Petrus1 Well-Known Member

The fabric on J. Crew and Lands' End polos is noticeably worse than on RL polos.

They're 1/3 the price.

13. franz_sanchez

franz_sanchez Well-Known Member

Have you considered Fred Perry, Ben Sherman or Lacoste?

Not sure if you can avoid a logo though.

You can try Bugatchi polo shirts if you don't want a logo. I saw one on clearance at Marshall's for $20 and it had no logo. You could also try Michael Kors polo shirts if you want a plain Polo Shirt. I tend to like Polo's with striped patters. I have gotten Polo's from RL, Nautica, Timberland, Lacoste and they all seem to be good. I have only gotten myself one Lacoste because usually you can't get them at a good price. I find Polo stuff for around $20 all the time at Macy's. You just have to wait for the stuff to eventually get reduced to $20. A couple of weeks ago I was able to get a Polo Sportshirt that was originally $89 for $16 and that included a 20% off bonus coupon.